AMD Radeon 21.1.1 drivers confirmed to bring Radeon cards a massive boost in Hitman III

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2021.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    While i feel your pain.... I can't believe that :).
    I have magic silicon 5600x + r6800.

It is only me with stable build and good oc potential. Really i have been selected by amd :)

jbscotchman likes this.
  2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Plenty of Nvidia users talking about driver issues, especially over the past year. Maybe pull your head out of the damn sand and you would see.
    Ive been using both sides consistently in multiple rigs for the past 6 years. And I can tell you, Nvidia has for more bugs then the fanboys want to let it.
    I have encountered small bugs but nothing major. Alot of the freesync issues are panel related. Especially in my case.

Icanium likes this.
  3. Kaezar

Kaezar Guest

GPU:
    NA
    Great for AMD. Kudos and all. Now if only the installation of the new drivers didn't EAT my old configuration so as to make my realtek drivers disappear. And whatever the install did was so through they don't come back even after they are the whole AMD driver scheme was purged. Even MS support was stumped.

This after my last GPU went and died - another AMD. So, sorry AMD GPU fans, as soon as I can I'll get another brand. ANY other brand.

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I don't have to pull my head out of anywhere, and I don't need anyone to tell me anything about GPU drivers. I'm a grown man, I can do it myself.

Aggression is a sign of denial.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021

5. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Who the heck gives a flip about this fan wars type of garbage. AMD released a driver that greatly improved performance of a new game. If you are playing it, this is great news and if not, just stick with what you have. I have had no issue with my AMD hardware for the past 13 years from the X850 on and now that I am on Linux, it is far better than Nvidia, from what I have been reading. If you want an Nvidia card, this is not the thread for you so, enjoy.

Icanium and Undying like this.
  6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I can only say that I've been an ATi/AMD user since the good ole 9700 Pro days, ran CF HD 5870 to CF RX VEGA64 to my present RX 6900 XT, no stability issue other than some performance issues. No driver that sticks to mind as being especially problematic, no driver that killed the GPU's that I've personally experienced and aware of.;) I have an RX 6800 before the switch to the RX 6900XT, no major issue, only real issue I've encountered is Metro Exodus CTD/freeze when RT is enabled (on both cards), but AMD is aware of that issue as I, and I'm sure many others with similar cards, have reported this issue.

Icanium and DanielRX like this.
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Data cables, electric grid at homes, Borked OS, PSUs, ...

And you should know, that driver related issues (while exist) are rarely replicable on large with consistency. (I can't get them without doing something bad to my HW/OS/drivers/software.)
    Could not be isolated to make of card, OS version, driver version, ... Such issues are often due to 3rd party software combinations beyond AMD's control. Would AMD know combination of software which do bad calls, they could block them. But it is kind of batman situation.
    (Unlike the capacitor issue on nV's side.)

Aztec2Step likes this.
  8. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I have same setup and my gpu overclocks above 2.4Ghz easy and while i can`t OC the cpu using bios (locks multiplier for any oc) i did +150Mhz in Ryzen Master auto OC

9. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Considering that this is my second AMD/ATI gpu ever,first one was a placeholder 5770 when my gtx 570 burned,i agree with you, i'm impressed by it,i haven't experienced any crashes or instability except in Quake 2 RTX, other than that it works flawlessly,the control panel is smooth(be it the NVIDIA one is ancient,i'm surprised they haven't changed it by now) VSR is better than DSR as when i was using DSR it was glitchy,when alt tabbing for example.

I dunno,i really can't complain about AMD,at least with the 6xxx series.

Oh and,it might be a placebo but i have 2 other friends that noticed this too,but,call me crazy but i actually think AMD IQ is better than on nvidia cards, like the texture filtering is better and i have less aliasing(playing mostly on 1080p) than with all the nvidia cards i've owned as far as i can remember.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ^^ Guys all is User dependant, some have problems (ATI or nV no matter) others do not ;)
    I can tell, ATI drivers are very good for me (7970GHz, 280X, FuryX, Vega 64).

No big problems (gaming in mind), some bugs where with Fury (had to stick with 1 driver for >6months lol)
    Now we have BFV bug for Vega (last good driver was 20.5.1 WHQL).

But all in all Gaming/OC Panel and features are on POINT ImhO with ATI HW.
    Im using now 20.1.1 and it's fine wine....

DanielRX likes this.

11. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I remember, a Long time ago, had this Card/Beast here back in the days, even though the 8800 GTX was still ahead in most games:

ATI: 2900 XTX(1gb Edition)

Can't exactly remember but I think I got this card, right at launch, used the drivers from the CD, think it was their 2nd or 3rd driver revision for this card, then came the newer drivers on their site, fired up ESIV: Oblivion, Holy Sweet Jesus, and you all thought this Hitman III made a big difference, This one was F'in crazy, If I remembered correctly, About double the performance difference, Holy WOW, I still remember, never forget.

I mean, seeing a 22 fps jump on 4k with this game, just because of the drivers, yup, very shocking, no doubt about it.

Can understand a few frames here and there, but 22 F'n Fps? Absolute massive.

What was more interesting is that, out of the 3 tests, 4k provide the most significant jump compared to the rest, another shocker there. Higher the resolution, the gap widens even further, crazy gains.

Thanks alot for sharing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  12. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref
    sorry buddy. it seems you are not the only chosen one by AMD ;)

13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    nooo i'm special , only my AMD rig is perfectly stable , rest of you have trash silicon and alpha drivers :D

Aztec2Step, stormy and panogr like this.
  14. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    Shhh, don't tell anyone, I make 3 of us (four if you count my sons computer as well).

panogr likes this.
  15. Mariusz Jordan

Mariusz Jordan Guest

GPU:
    RX5700XT 8GB
    Watch out guys. This new driver causes masive GPU temp increase and system crashes.
    I went back to previous drivers and eveyting works just fine.

16. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    A lot of the reasons here are due to the fact that the game was designed to run best on those who hold majority market share. So it's up to AMD - who knows their cards best, of-course, to make performance improvements.
    With a smaller team and less money poured into drivers / less user-base, it's normal for the #2 and #3 (and so-on) companies in market-share ranking to realize performance improvements a short time after release.

For those complaining about driver stability:
    If you have an issue REPORT IT to AMD directly via forums or support tickets.
    Same for Nvidia users.
    Do your part.
    Or DON'T and then sit and start with going total KAREN and crying about it - but please unplug your internet connection and your keyboard before doing so.

I had too many issues with Polaris in Dec 2019 so switched from my RX 480 8gb card to 2070 Super 8gb. The drivers were better - but there's STILL crashes, even in STUDIO READY drivers. There's even issues in Maya (like not being able to see the carriage in text boxes) and complete driver resets. I'm not very impressed to say the least, but playing Quake II RTX was a hoot - especially since it came out when I was in high-school and I never played through it all the way. AMD cards also had a heck of an issue in Fallout 4 with corrupted shaders which got worse the longer you had the game open - nothing helped and I tried everything.
    RTX is STILL better for professional apps than it is for games, and that might be true for a while - unless you like fancy puddles or reflections that much. I don't fancy standing still admiring puddles VS playing the game though - but that's a user's choice.
    The 8GB VRAM is not nearly enough, and the drivers aren't great; but at-least my desktop is stable for the most part.

Both teams have their issues. Buy the card that best meets your needs and your budget, and runs the things you want, the best. There's not too much more than that. From everything I know, there aren't nearly as many issues with AMD cards as there were a year or more ago, so again, let your wallet choose brand/model/manufacturer - don't choose by the logo unless you have software that directly dictates one or the other.

--Just my 2¢

Aztec2Step likes this.
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    + 1000000 from me .... Personally i am really bummed i am locked to nvidia cause there are programs i use that support gpu acceleration only from nvidia :( , if they start supporting amd too then i will turn 100% price/performance.

18. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    The only thing holding me back from purchasing an RX 6800 series card is their "dodgy" hardware encoder which is said to be inferior to that of Nvidia's. I'm into PCVR now (Quest 2 Link) and Oculus Link heavily makes use of a vid card's encoder to stream PC games into the HMD. VR IQ with Link therefore has a lot to do with the quality of the encoder.

VR also uses a lot of VRAM so that I consider the minimum now as 8gb and the recommended is 12gb or more. That's where AMD cards now have the advantage vs. Nvidia's but unfortunately they are held back by their inferior hardware encoder. Dedicated PCVR headsets though like the Rift S, Reverb, Vive, etc. don't make use of the vid card's hardware encoder so that these HMDs can definitely take advantage of the more VRAM available in AMD cards.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  19. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    I honestly cant tell the difference between AMD and nVIDIA encoder.
    choices are baseless.
    [​IMG]

20. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    @Martin5000

Don't get me wrong. I would've wanted to purchase a RX 6800 series card for my next vid card update given their 16gb VRAM and their high rasterization performance which are both very beneficial for VR. But it is a fact that the weakness of AMD's encoder is H.264 compression with it's low IQ and high latency relative to NVIDIA's encoder. Unfortunately, that is exactly what Oculus Link uses to stream video content into their Quest 1 & 2 HMDs. Twitch also uses H.264 for their video streaming.