Premium Z590 motherboards to become brutally expensive, one mobo even passes 1500 EUR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 15, 2021.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    So I'll brutally avoid buying those motherboards.

2. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    @anticupidon I think we should ALL stop buying these crazy absurd hardware ... maybe in time they will realize we are not made of cash and skyhigh prices are just turning the buyer away

Valken and anticupidon like this.
  3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Isn't Rocketlake CPU compatible with Z490 and Z490 motherboards will enable PCI4 with the correct CPU anyways?

So Z590 might not be needed anyways!

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    [​IMG]
    ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Glacial
    Intel® Z590 EATX motherboard with 18+2 power stages, integrated full-coverage EK water block, five M.2 slots, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 front-panel connector, USB 3.2 Gen 2 front-panel connector, dual Thunderbolt™ 4, Marvell® AQtion 10 Gb Ethernet, Intel® 2.5 Gb Ethernet, PCIe® 4.0, onboard WiFi 6E (802.11ax) and Aura Sync RGB lighting

• Intel® Socket LGA 1200 for 11th Gen Intel® Core™ processors and 10th Gen Intel Core, Pentium® Gold and Celeron® processors
    • Optimized Thermal Design: Integrated EK water block that cools VRM, CPU and PCH; high-conductivity thermal pads, five M.2 heatsinks with embedded backplates and ROG Water-Cooling Zone
    • Intelligent Control: ASUS-exclusive software and firmware utilities that simplify setup and improve performance: AI Overclocking, AI Cooling, AI Networking and Two-Way AI Noise-Cancelation
    • Robust Power Solution: 18+2 teamed power stages - each rated at 100 Amps, ProCool II power connectors, MicroFine alloy chokes and 10K Japanese-made black metallic capacitors
    • High-Performance Networking: Onboard WiFi 6E (802.11ax), Marvell® AQtion 10 Gb Ethernet, Intel® 2.5 Gb Ethernet, and ASUS LANGuard
    • Fastest Gaming Connectivity: PCIe® 4.0, five M.2 slots, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 front-panel connector, dual Thunderbolt™ 4 USB-C®
    • Industry-Leading Gaming Audio: ROG SupremeFX ALC4082 with ESS® ES9018Q2C DAC for high-fidelity sound
    • Unmatched Personalization: 2” LiveDash color OLED, ASUS-exclusive Aura Sync RGB lighting, including one RGB header and three addressable Gen 2 RGB headers
    • DIY-Friendly Design: Pre-mounted I/O shield, V_Latch switch, BIOS FlashBack™, Q-Code, FlexKey, Q-Connector, SafeSlot and Graphics Card Holder
    • Renowned Software: Bundled 1-year AIDA64 Extreme subscription and intuitive UEFI BIOS dashboard with integrated MemTest86.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Neat although it looks like involves a bit of screwing around for getting to the M.2 slots although I suppose once that's set up it's mostly done. :D

Guess the gap there also helps with GPU fitting not much else going in the motherboards these days and a smaller slot on top for some reason for something like a PCI SSD.

EDIT: Well the screws should at least be more solid (Unless they you know fall into the PSU when you try getting them out. ~ ) than something like a push or clip-on plastic connector or tool-less procedure for popping the shield here.
    Suppose reviews will also show if you can just remove it and keep it stored somewhere if it has any function at all besides aesthetics since Asus didn't LED RGB the thing. :p
    (Bare boards can be aesthetically pleasing too.)

Interesting solution there for the five M.2's looks like a push button or something on the LED bit there on the second part of the coverage on the main bit of the actual chipset that might be covering part of the water cooling solution here.

Neat.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Those screws are nothing like the Hulk "can't unscrew, I stripped the screw" m.2 screws of old, where the screws were stupidly screwed in with glue. They unscrew very easily. The most annoying part of that is removing the video card.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Is it me getting old, or I have fond memories buying AMD 939 boards for cheap and OC the hell outta the CPU?
    Same with 2500K CPU and Intel boards...what happened?

8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    segmentation
    now they're binning cpus in such a way there's no room for overclock
    an overclockable cpu these days is pretty much overclocked already with turbo boost/xfr and it's a hefty chunk of the price

9. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    The gamers have become the manufacturers piggy bank, put some plastic covers on, some stickers with Dragons and gaming worth 5 cents and Hocus pocus raise price with 200$...

fredgml7 likes this.
  10. CRUBINO

CRUBINO Guest

GPU:
    Zotac Geforce GTX1080 FE
    I hope they will allow H570 to using DDR4-3200 :)

*dream on.... LOL! :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Corbus likes this.
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Money is the reason, like always. They noticed lots of people buying cheaper CPUs and overclocking them near the levels of the higher performance parts, so they "killed" OC...

I think they are doing what phone makers did a few years ago, raise the prices with each generation until sales finally stop in a meaningful way...

Even if the 11900K was 25% faster than the 10900K, that would not justify the price of these new MBs, specially when you can use a Z490 for the same performance.

13. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    lol,single shots of unknown origin.
    let's maybe wait for reviews and pricing before we judge,shall we ? let me remind you that 10900K and 5800X cost upwards of $450.
    Not to mention a 6/12 that could rival 5600X and not cost +$300

that said,if this doesn't deliver on performance and still costs a lot it would be a disappointment.Even more so when 10900F has been at record low here,just 10% more expensive than 5600X.If prices rise I'mma regret not getting it now.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  14. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I thought that when I saw the Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Xtreme cost a lot more than the i9 10900K. The weight and looks of the Gigabyte Z490 Xtreme is one sexy looking board.

I heard these same arguments for games for years. It never changed.

Gaming branding has become the pits to be honest. Look at even gamer chairs and RGB. A gaming tax.

Try and get hardware you really want without RGB these days. Don't get me wrong though, when RGB done right, it's gorgeous but most of it looks tacky.

At least Gigabyte isn't in your face branding on their top boards with stickers and dragons everywhere.

15. WAR76

WAR76 Member

GPU:
    3080 Strix OC
    how much for the cpu that goes on it? $10,000? Get it Intel fan boys !!

16. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    How are they fanboys? Threadripper is over £3,000. Ryzen 9 isn't exactly cheap either. £859 on one UK site for 5950X. £600 for the 5900X.

A 10900K is currently £479.

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
  18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Every generation board partners had top of the top variants of their mobos and every time they were expensive as hell. However, there's a point where expensive becomes insane, think we're at that point in this case.

19. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    IMO, "Godlike" is for heavenly suckers...;) Imagine the x570 Aorus Xtreme costing *half* of what this top Z590 premium mboard costs! I paid ~$360 for my x570 Master eighteen months ago, which is, I believe, the most I have ever paid for a motherboard. It's still a bargain today, imo, as I didn't have to buy a premium sound card because the built headphone amp, the hardware DAC, and the RealTek 1220-VB saved me ~$100.