3080 Owner's thread!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Syranetic, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Been running this for a while actually, just never bothered to post a system pic, since early December 3080 (+5900x)

sys.jpg sys1.jpg

2. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Hmm, I started out with the latest hotfix driver and was underwhelmed by 3dmark scores. Reverted to the launch drivers and now scores were as they should be. However, trying some mild overclocks saw some of my games unexpectedly crashing.
    So that max clock patch was certainly needed.
    Now I'm at 460.79 and can clock the gpu to 180 without crashing or unfinished benches from 3dmark etc. I settled at +150 though. Gains above that are small and I would only introduce more heat and the likes.
    Clocking the memory doesn't seem to help at all. I have it at +500, just so it shows 10000 in msi AB. but it doesn't seem to influence anything at all.
    Timespy score at those clocks is 16970/18577
    Seems in line with what it should be.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  3. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Same happened to me... was hoping for those 18k at graphics and landed on 17k, my WTF face had to be epic in that moment hahaha

I agree, those +500 in memory seem to be doing almost nothing and made a shadow of the tomb raider run fail so i ended up with +250 as a safe setting because of that.

After some more trial and error I ended with my "every day gaming" OC at +15% power, +165 core and stock memory, less heat and more W for the core.

Maddness likes this.
  4. Adam Honved

Adam Honved Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Dear EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra owners,

Could you please share your memory temps while the card is under load?

I wonder if mine has some kind of padding issue, because one of the memory sensors is always reading +5°C higher than the others:

EVGA mem temps.JPG

Thanks!

5. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    This was running the 3DMark FireSpy stress test. I'm running undervolted, as the picture shows, but my RAM is overclocked mildly to 10GHz.
    They used thermal putty for that part, didn't they?

Attached Files:

Adam Honved likes this.
  6. Scorpio_ASC

Scorpio_ASC Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    This is while mining -_-

Attached Files:

Adam Honved likes this.
  7. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Alright this is making me sad for about a week now i got my rtx 3080 msi gaming x trio. i am happy with the performance its amazing but the random crashings to desktop cause of the capicitor thing or high boostclock or whatever the hell is going on is making me wanne return the card and use my trusty old 1080 ti. i almost paid 1500 euro [1499] for this rtx 3080 on my local pc shop because it was extremely hard to get even one.

But now i dont know anymore i was just playing immortals fenix rising with msi afterburner and the core clock was hovering between 1930 and 1950 and after a full hour my game crashed to desktop. similar thing as with exodus under dx12, while this game is dx11. I tell u guys if these rtx 3080, 3090 cant be fixed with a simply driver update i am going to return the card and get the refund. No bsods or anything here just freezings of game then crash to desktop and its totaly rng from 2 hours to 4 hours to 20 min. This is making gaming not fun. Nvidia fix your stuff please :(

Also nvidia debug mode does do nothing for me when i put it on i still see same boost clock but then it got hitch ups, when i disable it no hitch ups.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  8. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    1950 Its not a high clock for the 3080 to crash... capacitator has nothing to do with it and the boost clock issue was long fixed by drivers... so maybe the gpu is broken, return it asap and get the 1500e back

why would you pay 1500 euro (scalper price) ???? wtf that just....

9. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    I agree, for 1500 euros I personally would pay a bit more and get a 3090 instead, which should be easier to obtain for less-than-scalper-prices... The 1000 euros I paid for my Suprim X was already a bit extensive...

10. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    3080 users still got random crashings to desktop not only for me.
    Card is not defect. might be just buggy drivers idk. Its not all the time sometimes days good then suddently crash to desktop in some games.

I hold on for another week and wait for the next nvidia driver that comes after the weekend and see how that goes.

Old thread but if u read this anything from 1950 or higher maybe even 1980 the card can crash and thats below the 2000 mhz range.

RTX 3080 Crash - Page 3 - Troubleshooting - Linus Tech Tips

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021

11. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    That post is from september, when did nvidia release the driver fix for the clock drama??

I got mine OCed and had some soft crashes with +175 core so i lowered it to+150 core, I passed 3-4 stress test on royal port with 99,x% and had zero crashes in games. In wow it clocks as high as 2055 and can hold that for long runs with no issues, in heavier games hovers around 19xx.

Try to flash lastest bios, clean install lastest drivers and make sure your PSU can take the 3080, and ofc that it is connected with 2 cables, not 1 daisy chained.

12. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Psu is the strongest one on the planet the 1600 corsair xD and its 3x 8 pin single rails. so thats oke aswell latest bios version for me is 94.02.42.00.FB the unknown bios lol, this is added in the latest december batch from the gaming x trio cards. Latest driver is the hotfix one.461.33.

13. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    does downcloking the card fix anything? I would rma it with whatever reason they cant test and be done with it... its not even close to be worth 1500€

14. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Anyone on a 3080 notice the same random stutter in apex?Didn't have the issue on my 1080ti/Driver 442.59

[​IMG]
    How it looks like every time it happens.Exactly the same as shown on the live graph ingame/hardware monitor so it's the same thing that's causing it every time.Happens once/twice a game and sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

Rig:3080/9900k/16gb ddr4/rmx750/970evoSSD

Things I tried
    -Tried updating Mobo bios
    -Various drivers (DDUcleaned) (currently on 457.51)
    -Hardware acceleration disabled in chrome/discord
    -All overlays disabled
    -Gamebar disabled
    -Fullscreen optimisation disabled
    -Disabling reflex w/ command "+gfx_nvnUseLowLatency 0" Some people are saying disabling reflex doesn't actually work but when I use the command the game doesn't cap the fps to 138 anymore so it works?
    -Vsync off

I'm using a 3080TUF OC edition currently.My old 1080ti on driver 442.59 did not have this issue.

I also tried playing an hour of WOW and altought the game suffers from the occasional micro stutter I did not once get the this specific 3 in 1 micro stutter like in Apex.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  15. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I had issues like that in the past with WoW and was caused by the antivirus scanning game files used by the game. Did you try to white list the game folder on the antivirus?

16. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I'm using windows defender.Shouldn't everyone have the issue then?

17. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    True but I guess windows system resources has something to do with it maybe monitor your processes in the background

18. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Again the card is not defect many people got issues with some games, not all games are working out of the box with a rtx 3080, also some games are just buggy sometimes with new hardware
    Example: latest from nvidia hotfix.

The hotfix addresses the following issues:
    • Adobe Premiere Pro may freeze when using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA) [3230997/200686504]
    • [461.09] NVIDIA Broadcast Camera filter may hang. [200691869]
    • [Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game (Without using any Hardware monitoring tool). [3152190]
    • [Detroit: Become Human]: The game randomly crashes. [3203114]
    • [NVENC] Colors of webcam video image on receiving end of Zoom may appear incorrect [3205912]
    • [Assassin's Creed Valhalla] Game may randomly crash after extended gameplay [200679654]
    • [X4: Foundations][Vulkan]: The game may crash on GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs. [3220107]
    • [X4: Foundations][Vulkan]: HUD in the game is broken. [3169099]

19. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I only have 1 monitor and when I alt-tab out I never notice anything abnormal

I tried whitelisting/disablnig realtime scanning and it happened again.Since this issue seems to be apex specific I'm gonna assume its something to with apex at this point.

20. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Since i had the problem i white listed the whole hd where i install games and launchers. Never had that stutter issue again... But could be a different thing causing it, was just an idea...