Windows 10 20H2 (Build 19042.508)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by disq, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Does anyone have much experience on the ARM build of 20H2? Using the Insider ring atm on an M1 Mac but thinking of going to the Stable channel

2. I have a Maintenance.bat file with some fun stuff that I run after CUs:

Code:
    :: .NET Framework 4
    "%windir%\microsoft.net\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe" update /force /queue
    "%windir%\microsoft.net\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe" update /force /queue
    "%windir%\microsoft.net\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe" executequeueditems
    "%windir%\microsoft.net\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe" executequeueditems

:: System File Check, Cleanup, and Repair
    "%windir%\system32\Dism.exe" /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase /RestoreHealth
    "%windir%\system32\sfc.exe" /scannow

:: Classic Disk Cleanup
    "%windir%\system32\cleanmgr.exe" /sageset:65535
    "%windir%\system32\cleanmgr.exe" /sagerun:65535

:: Defrag/Trim
    "%windir%\system32\dfrgui.exe"

AsiJu and KissSh0t like this.
  3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I just noticed this today, either I'm completely oblivious or it was added recently, when was this actually added?

In task manager it shows the temperature for the gpu.

[​IMG]

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I don't remember exactly but it been there for a while. I think either 19xx era.
    You can also setup GPU% per process.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Guess it's just never caught my attention, was really surprised when I saw it, kinda handy really isn't it.

It would be pretty cool if they did the same for CPU.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    HAHA i never noticed it either it amazing how you never notice thing till it is mentioned

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    386SX and KissSh0t like this.
  8. Mustang104

Mustang104 Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 3080 RTX
    Hey guys a quick question, is the flashing desktop bug after login still a thing with recent 20H2 updates?

I'm still very much wary of allowing Windows to update given the prior experience I had with this, don't want to have to go through that again.

Thanks.

9. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    yeah if you mean the taskbar, its occasionally done it for years.

10. Mustang104

Mustang104 Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 3080 RTX

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i had it happen on 4 pc with the KB4592438 , it was pretty much the explorer crashing starting crashing starting

Twice on my PC first I unisntalled it and had to run sfc /scannow to fix it, defered the update for 7 days hoping it would be fixed update got pushed again and it happen again. This time I just did sfc /scannow to fix.

It happen on my dad surface and my uncles 2 systems.. let me tell geting this fix on my uncle pc from 600+ miles away and explain it to him to was not fun, and I had even less fun with my dad surface cause bitlocker was on that didnt even know was on which kept me from even getting into safemode, I am lucky his system somehow made him "MS" account cause without that MS login info which I was lucky to even get cause he didnt even know about I wouldnt of even been able to get in the pc.

I am very warry about the upcoming coming update which I should see in 3 days few days cause the same crap yet again. if does I freaking disabling Updates.

MS need to get the crap together them doing 1 major update and 1 minor a year was supposed to put Cork in these bad updates instead of there 2 major a year

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the issue is literally caused by the modifications you perform to your windows installs.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Could you specify what modification please, it would be very handy to know.

14. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    19042.746 installed now with 24 hours

1 GSOD

2 Instant Restarts on browsing

1 Instant Restart right after boot

previous perfectly fine install

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I updated to 19042.746 on Tuesday when it came out. I don't notice anything weird here but for the last few drivers 461.xx my desktop does flash for a split sec when I first enter it on reboot/restart. Nothing in event viewer to say what it is, I think it just driver engaging.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The current resolution is set per user, though im not sure what resolution the login screen runs at for 10 (whether its highest, or lowest) but the login event will engage your chosen refresh rate.

17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    That could be it, it's nothing wrong IMO.
    My res is only 1600x1200 cause I run old dell 21" 2007FP.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Agree to disagree 2 of those system the ones my uncle have were never modified or tweaks in away, and they had same issue happen.

And I lost count how many time I got call from some say window update frack there system up and they those people wouldnt even know how to modify or tweaks there system even if they life depended on

19. I have KB4592438 installed and have no problems. I've used W10 since it was in beta, and have never seen the desktop flash erratically like described.

I'm very curious to know why some updates cause some people issues, and not others.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    And that last CU is first time I ever had CU since Win10 do what it did. I had other issue but never the desktop flash like it did, I do know it was Explorer.exe it would crash restart crash restart which is what was causing the flash. the event viewer and reliability monitor were spammed to death with explorer.exe crash. and everyone else that has same thing happen, reported the same explorer.exe spamming the reality monitor with crashes over at reddit.

Simple answer is OS code is way to complex now to account for every single config. which why Windows 10 is probably first windows OS cause so much issue with updates, Windows 7 was never anywhere this bad, I never had update in windows 7 cause as many issue as windows 10 updates too, to many thing integrated in to many other things.

Which why i didnt like the 2 major build upgrade a year with windows 10, now we have only 1 major and 1 minor, and some how CU and updates are causing more issue not less.

I Mean we had a feature update year or 2 ago that was wiping personal data from my documents folders and drives we have had multiple updates causing BSOD and break Windows 10 ability to boot and how many updates so far pulled? we had at 1 Feature update that was pulled, which was the one that was wiping personal data.

Window 10 is easily my favorite version of windows when it works, but it also easily the most temperamentally and easy broke version of windows. my windows XP/7 installed and reinstalled pale in comparsion to how many time I reinstalled 10.

People claim iOS update really bad and break things, imo iOS update way way MORE stable, I never had an iOS update brick or break my phone in anyway and I religiously update iOS I can't claim the same of window 10, and neither can the people I forced to switch from win 7 to 10. which I regret tell them to switch to 10, cause I one that get call about windows 10 update breaking things again

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021