Will the 1st driver of 2021 be more then a common update?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Jan 14, 2021.

1. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    I have tried before - it doesn't work. I have tied both - Adrenalin custom resolution functionality and CRU (it sets 6bpc for Colour Depth instead of 8bpc). My card keeps highest memory clock at 75 Hz.

If I had no issues with video card memory clock - I would use always 75Hz, never 60.

And why the frack I should do something instead AMD to confess that they have a bug and to fix it?!? Why I have to change constantly the refresh rate before and after a game?

With my new 6800 card I can't try some old drivers (they don't support it). But the people say that this bug is with latest few drivers. So before it had been normal the memory clock to go down in IDLE but later because AMD had a problems with some blinking monitors with higher refresh rate they decided to fix it this way - to keep cards at highest memory clock for "nonstandard" frequencies over 60 (but except 120 because it's "standard" too). This is not a real solution. This is a workaround!
    As I know cards with monitors with 120Hz don't have this issue. So how my card can't work with 75 Hz with low memory clock in IDLE but the same card can do it without problems with 120 Hz?!?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If you have multiple monitor setup with different refresh rates there is no fix for memory clocks. It will always be using highest clocks.

INSTG8R likes this.
  3. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    No, I have only one - ViewSonic VX3276-2K-MHD (DisplayPort but I have tried HDMI too). I had no issue with the old drivers and the old 290X card. With latest drivers I had the problem with my 290X card but I could avoid it making a custom resolution. But now the same workaround doesn't work for 6800 card.

A discussion about the same problem >>HERE and HERE<<

Otherwise I know that for 2 monitors it's normal. AMD did this trick long time ago for first 290 cards with 2 or more monitors.

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    ROFL,You are in the wrong forum.

Thanks, you see right through it.
    In any case We haven't seen the traditional driver once a month as of yet.

Just wondering if there is anything more to it then just the typical stuff. I've noticed that with the last 2 driver updates the vram frequency has been off by a few Mhz. Which other's have confirmed.

PieEyedPiper and cucaulay malkin like this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Was thinking bug fixes for the January driver and then February should be Far Cry 6 support it's AMD supported after all.
    March no idea but then April or May would probably be readying for Windows 10 21H1 or Vibranium 2 or all the other names it has. :D

CES this week though AMD's notes might be over by now, other January drivers came out after CES if I remember reading that right trying to look up some sort of time frame so next week perhaps?
    Well the driver releases usually happens after midnight for this time zone so you never know sometimes it's a pending Steam update, other times Microsoft dropped some insider ring release preview update or it's a display driver update. :p

EDIT: I am curious if there's plans for some later launched feature driver though or if they're dividing up the added features more or how this is going to be handled.
    RDNA2 / Navi20 GPU stuff might also need more work before it's ready for implementing into the release drivers but there could be other stuff.

Don't think there's anything pending for Vulkan or D3D12 either ray tracing Vulkan extensions are in now and for D3D12 that's probably DirectX 12_2 stuff with the new Windows 10 build and all that.
    Existing bugs and issues well that enhanced sync issue could do with being fixed once and for all and a few others but who knows when that's going to be resolved.

EDIT: Well I guess it's always some bug fixes really aside from that last one that was 6000 XT series GPU LED customization as a bit of a extra thing just before the end of the year.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  6. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    21.01.01 brings crossfire back to the 6000-series with awesome scaling due checkerboard rendering, making it the fastest GPU solution today, end dream.

7. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    Also interesting thing about max Vram clock: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dr5bxt/i_solved_my_max_memory_clocks_at_144hz_problem/

And I can confirm it working on my UWD 3440x1440 144Hz monitor. After setting Automatic (PC) timing, the vram clock goes down. Without they are still on max...

So I wouldn't call it only driver problem, simply because manufacturers of monitors use reduced blanking (to achieve lower Pixel clock) and drivers have then harder time to keep it refreshing without noticeable tearing/blinking...

8. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    But old drivers had no problems with my monitor. But AMD decided to change something in the new drivers because of some other monitors with problems (higher than 75Hz), so now all we have high vram clock as a "Judgment of Solomon".

9. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Haven't played around much with Raytracing until this last week. I do have a driver crash 100% of the time {always recovered} on the "COMM CENTER" map in Quake II RTX {first time I shoot an enemy / can't pass that}, and am unable to start most titles with raytracing (including Quake II RTX) unless Resizable BAR is shut off. [Raytracing isn't usable in any title I've tried -- is completely unstable]

Definitely some work needed on that feature for the 6000 series. Outside of raytracing {which I'm not in a rush for}, still no major stability problems.

--- Would be nice to see more problem acknowledgements. The raytracing issues are certainly widespread enough that I believe they impact everyone. {not system specific}
    ... I've a few friends saying that their cards get stuck in low clock states with Resizable BAR / SAM active {which never happens with it off} -- those clock control issues seem a recurring theme. Those really need to get fixed once and for all / the recurring theme is getting old..

A status update certainly would be nice from Red-Team.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no new driver is required for 21h1, theres no wddm increment.

JonasBeckman likes this.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just installed my new 6800XT Nitro+ SE! :D I finally managed to snag one for VERY close to MSRP so super happy. I am simply blown away by the driver panel for AMD. Its light years ahead of Nvidia, applying settings is instant, smooth animations, and a modern UI too. Now to do some testing :D

INSTG8R, kanenas, Keitosha and 6 others like this.
  12. I actually prefer NVIDIA a bit in that regard. It's lighter, and realistically something I would only ever look at once or twice after a fresh Windows install. I change a few settings, and that's it. I don't need fancy UI taking up disk space :p

Meanwhile, AMD is including game and VR streaming features forcibly without option on Enterprise/Pro drivers lol

NVIDIA's control panel is seemingly consistent too; I've only ever seen the same single boring style it has currently. AMD has been through 3 complete redesigns that I'm aware of.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Too each their own I guess. I just got super annoyed with the Nvidia control panel. It's slow to apply settings, it looks like it did in 2001.

I'm liking the AMD panel a lot. I never used this redesign they have now as my last AMD card was a HD7970GHz.

Just gotta familiarise my self with where everything is now though lol :p but so far it's super responsive.

INSTG8R, GhostXL, Keitosha and 2 others like this.
  14. Crisidelm

Crisidelm Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 DD Ultra
    Uhm, I have a 75Hz Monitor (of course, set to 75Hz) and my 5700 VRAM in idle sits at 200MHz and pretty cool.

INSTG8R likes this.
  15. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    Well, as developer how will you decide?
    Higher clocks, which most of the users doesn't notice and doesn't affect visual, or possible flickering display which can notice anyone very easily (without any PC skill) and can ruin your visual experience? :)

16. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Why they just not remove power saving states then? To be more sure. Nobody will notice the temperatures. :D

17. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Yeah I have to agree, previously HD6990/GTX970/R9290/GTX1080, the NV control panel was set options and forget you don't want to go back in there, similar with Geforce Experience setup and just press record. Annoying changing games or apps settings, system restart to change or add resolutions, Geforce Experience overlay is equality clunky and it felt like overhead when starting a recording or activating in general, plus the annoying login which I always just hacked out anyways, plus annoyances with After burner for some games and other overlays etc.

The AMD Control Panel overlay - I dunno if it's the GPU but everything's just very snappy and instantly accessible, the per game options are in the overlay, overclocking/undervolting is there, FPS limiter is there, screen capture is all there and the audio separation/quality seems better which was always wrong on GE with my headsets, on screen performance in game and on the desktop for CPU and GPU is there and works very nice, the game stats and graphs are a cool addition.

So far not using Afterburner now as this has 90% of what I need in it's little performance overlay with one button click, easy. Enjoyable when you can do everything on the fly IMO.

Multiple applications in one - refreshing. Hopefully it gets better and more feature rich.

18. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Whenever they arrive...Hoping there is a fix for running the G9 at 240hz without getting insane corruption.

Nvidia fixed any G9 issues over a month ago (I switched from Nvidia to AMD to find it was broken with AMD still :( )

Considering it's a freeysync premium pro monitor yet gsync compatible actually works is....yeah

Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  19. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Strange, I went to the AMD website to check if there's a new driver, couldn't get to the Download page...actually, I think I did, but 'Download' tab isn't there. Not only that, I can't even get to 20.12.02 driver.....weird, first time I've not been able to see the latest driver.

Edit - I've tried on my phone and my 2nd rig, no Download tab available, I hope it means AMD may be updating with a new driver....

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  20. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Has been hours now...prepare for a 100TB driver update...