Review: Corsair 5000D PC chassis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Corsair is back with a new chassis; this time, the 5000D is being put to the test. It is an innovative chassis with lots of space, hiding options, and clearances for a lot of liquid cooling. It's qui...

Review: Corsair 5000D PC chassis

2. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    bottom psu = nope
    I'm repeating myself but that design is obsolete, that design made sense when we had or modded side fans on the left panel but with the glass windows nowadays it shouldn't exist anymore
    there is no airflow under the gpu the whole square under it is a heat trap, and please don't give me links with smoke machines and such I've seen them I also own 5 different cases and every one of them with the psu at the bottom has ZERO airflow under the gpu, the air goes from the front straight to the top, there's also very little of it being exhausted by the rear fan because again the air goes front->top and nowhere else

the only real airflow is bottom->top, psu needs to be in a different compartment than the motherboard

I really wish Corsair remade their super stylish and high quality Crystal 680X, it's too small inside by a good 3cm in height and length
    a big tower version where I could place 3 radiators bottom-front-top like the Lian-Li Dynamic XL and I would insta buy

3. WolfPT

WolfPT Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 GAMING X
    As usual, the trend of blocking front airflow in favour of aesthestics lives on.

Hard pass.

4. blurp33

blurp33 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I own the Airflow version of the 4000D with mesh front. Great Airflow with 2 x 140mm fans in front and on top + 120 mm rear. Love it. In my case (pun intended) no need for a bigger enclose like the 5000D.

5. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I considered the Corsair 500SE with RGB fans for my new gaming rig but didn't like the lack of top ventilation for an overclocked 10700K (my previous rig used a 650D which was functional but dull). I chose a CoolerMaster H500 Mesh with its two 200mm front fans which are very quiet and very effective. I like the fact that you locate the fans for your AIO in the top compartment and you can see the three fans for the AIO through the top glass panel, this is not possible with this Corsair case.
    Re lower case airflow, I asked my builder to remove the HD caddy & the entire PSU shroud so I've got 'enhanced' lower case airflow. My spec includes the ASUS Thor platinum 850w PSU and leaving the shroud in place would hide the OLED power usage display and other RGB on the PSU.

6. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I looked at the Thermaltake 71 case for my new gaming rig, really liked it but I didn't need such a big case, would the Thermaltake 71 suit you?

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    high quality? what 680x you been using?

8. HansR

HansR Member

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super Trio
    Top of the case is also somewhat blocked.I have Phanteks 600s with 6 x 140mm fans and airflow is great.

9. Nafiz Arman

Nafiz Arman New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 SSC
    A bit off topic but,
    I really really liked the wallpaper on the monitor.
    Anyone know where I can get it?

10. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF

Nah forget about the crystal 680x bring a successor to the air 740 and air 540. I still swapped to a Phanteks enthoo pro that i got from my work pc just because my work pc was faster than my home pc (you know family business so business paied for it and don't need the horsepower anymore) so was to lazy to transfer things over but since then upgraded CPU to Ryzen 5800x with 460mm AIO cooler and sold the mobo cpu and ram. Previously had air cooler. The 360mm radiator won't fit in air 540.

Anyway my gpu ran much cooler in the air 540 than in the Phanteks enthoo pro and loved the dual chamber design. Easy to manage cables and lot's of airflow

11. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    The problem with these cases is that we don't have actually what to put into them.

Silva likes this.
  12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Don't know if you just glanced the picture of the case or not, but the airflow isn't blocked at all: there are two big front openings and a dust filter behind the front panel, this case is amazing tbh.
    And if you're really hairy about the flat front panel, there is a perforated version with a triangular design. In my opinion the two side openings are big enough but everyone has his taste.

13. RexAvery

RexAvery Guest

GPU:
    Rtx 3080
    5000D = Obsolete Design...
    I need just like Lian Li pc-011 but from Corsair.
    With more Usb type C, SD Card reader, Tempered Glass, & Better cable management with dual chamber.
    Thanks

14. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    The best looking case I've ever seen. The definition of minimalism in my book, I'll be looking forward to own one.

15. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    They do a mesh panel version, also they sell the mesh panel separately. I have the 700D which originally had just a plastic front panel, they made a mesh panel later which you could buy for like a tenner.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Great case but too big for my taste. I think i prefer the 4000d, with the mesh front of course.

17. linoleum

linoleum Member

GPU:
    Gigabytes RTX3060Ti
    Darn nice case! Where can I find that wallpaper to complete my Corsair wallpaper collection?

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Answer to that is simple. Each PCIe slot below Graphics can have holes for ventilation.
    Almost all cases have next to all PCIe slots on back grid which enables a lot of airflow.

And that answer? Positive Air pressure. That's enough to force air through back side.
    - - - -
    Sure, I can imagine much better design for PC case. And definitely have very different PSU placement in mind for years. But this usual design still works.
    As long as Graphics does not use vapor chamber cooling, I would prefer vertical placement. Cases can be much smaller while providing better cooling.

But idea behind this particular case is to be big.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This is a nice design, I especially like the dust filter at the front...

20. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    If i bought this case the first thing i'd do is buy 2 x 140mm ML Premium fans for the front but not this version but the Airflow version. Then the gfx card would get plenty of cool air. I would place the fans in the middle of the front so theres a gap top and bottom the same size. That way you get both the gfx cards and the cpu cooler with cool air.

I'm about to do a new build but trying to get a 5900X and a 3080 is a total nighmare. Some people are taking any 3080 they are offered which shows how bad things really are because i want a Gigabyte Master 3080 but yea good luck with that. I might end up just waiting for the 4 series lol.