Will the 1st driver of 2021 be more then a common update?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It's been awhile since a new driver has been released. Just wondering if there is any special sauce in the 1st driver in 2021?

2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Yes. Go nvidia. It's a dip, to the green sauce. Amd is so, dead. No performance, no new special drivers, do they exist?

3. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    Go nvidia. It's a dip, to the green sauce (be careful not to drown) :)
    No performance
    no new special drivers
    Amd is so, dead

Attached Files:

4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Nvidia won all the sales again. And they stole glory. Jensen did not even need to do the talking. 3060 will savagely out sale 6700 series. Lisa wasn't very confident.

5. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    I know people always want or look forward to new drivers, but new drivers doesn't really mean anything special or some big performance boost "all the time". I'm still using Enterprise 20.Q3 which was release in 08/11/2020, hardly any problems at all, they even perform better than all the Adrenalin drivers. I am however looking forward to next month new drivers because of the new control panel finally for workstation gpus.

I like both nvidia and amd, both are good IMO.

Kuss likes this.
  6. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    With my old 290X I had no issues at all. But now with the new 6800XT the situation is not the same. I see that the people with previous RDNA cards (like 5700) have some issues too.

I hope that AMD will reduce "known issues" this time, not as they usually do - just support of 1-2 new games (or just "very important" RGB LED support last time).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  7. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    wow so much trolling the OP here

PieEyedPiper and Eastcoasthandle like this.
  8. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Really? Unhappy owner = Troll?

9. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    what are you talking about

PieEyedPiper likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    20.1.1 was published january 10th 2020.

If there was fixes worth pushing, it'd be out already.

11. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    I thought your comment was about my post.

12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I had a Nitro+ RX 6800, now I have a Nitro+ RX 6900 XT, and thus far, the only game that I'm having issue with is Metro Exodus with RT enabled, it'd CTD consistently. With RT disabled, the CTD is random at best, other games that I play (Death Stranding, Serious Sam 3 and 4, Gears of War 5 + Hivebusters, UT3, Doom, Doom Eternal, etc) are pretty good. Being newer architecture, I'd more or less expected some issue, meanwhile, my good old PowerColor VEGA64 Red Devil is running just fine with all games, no issue Metro Exodus.

DanielRX likes this.
  13. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    not at all,talking about the first two
    OP had a question if amd is planning a special edition driver since they used to do that in the past and people started trolling him with they childish fanboy remarks right away

what issues are you getting with 6800xt ? I'm either getting this or a 3070 when they're available.

PieEyedPiper and Eastcoasthandle like this.
  14. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    1. My monitor is 75Hz. My 6800XT card keeps highest memory frequency locked in IDLE (this keeps my card warm). If I change monitor to work with 60Hz then the frequency goes down as expected. I see that 5700 cards have this bug too (with 75 or 144Hz monitors). I had a workaround for my 290X card making a custom resolution with "timing standard: CVT Reduced Blanking" but it doesn't work now for my new card.

2. Almost always Vulkan games doesn't detect my 75Hz capability of my monitor and they work just with 60 fps when I use vsync. I have to reboot many times my computer until the game runs with 75 fps. Then it's ok until the next reboot doesn't matter how may times I will start Vulkan games before that. The workaround (to avoid so many tries) is to set the desktop to 75 Hz, to reboot the computer, then to change it back to 60 Hz and then I can run Vulkan games with 75 fps but it leads to the point 3.

3. I have set 60 Hz for my monitor for desktop because of point 1. When I start Vulkan game it sets 75 Hz (maybe, see point 2) and when I finish the game the desktop keeps the same 75 Hz instead to set it back to 60. So I have again highest memory frequency locked (point 1)

4. Global vsync options in the drivers don't work properly.

5. Forcing AF to x16 in drivers doesn't work.

6. Games with RT enabled crash randomly.

7. Recording video using Adrenaline for games doesn't work.

So I need a new driver with a fix of all these problems that I have with my new 6800XT card! I miss my so useful AMD Fluid Motion from my 290X card but this is another stupid move of AMD!

gabsvm and cucaulay malkin like this.
  15. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    My RX Vega56 working fine with 20.12.1 whql, perfomance very solid, and nice temps!
    no Bug's detected.

OnnA and Krteq like this.

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Select LCD standard preset in CRU and based on it, increase vertical blanking timing.

Use sole 75Hz refresh rate resolution in CRU without 60Hz available.

They never did, apart from OGL and Enhanced Sync.

It does work with D3D11 on Navi.

Yes, it does?

17. Oculus Link has been broken with Polaris and Vega GPUs on every Adrenaline driver after 20.11.1, which was released early November. None of the 4-5 drivers released after that fixed it, and I can only assume AMD is in no rush to fix this. I was expecting this to be fixed with the CP2077 driver, but nope. Basically comes down to wanting to use either VR, or play newer games.

I would have assumed Polaris was mature by now, but it seems AMD can still break things even on older GPUs.

I'm going NVIDIA for my next GPU; not just because of the driver situation though. 4K@60Hz over HDMI is unstable on Polaris, and I've heard cases it was still iffy on RDNA; worked fine with a GTX 1060 I had. AMD nor vendors want to admit anything with this though. I can't change content type sent to the display on AMD, which has my HDR look washed-out; can change it on NVIDIA easily though. And the GPU encoder on AMD cards is crap up until RDNA it seems, but even then NVIDIA's comparable GPUs still are better at it.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    We in NV subforum are waiting for magical mega performance drivers too...

HD64G, Keitosha and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    That Metro Exodus CTD is fixed in the newer driver :)

HD64G and Krteq like this.
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No issues here on rx580 for last 3 years its working and gaming except few driver issues that got fixed. Not the end of the world. Im looking forward to rx6700.