VR fans can look forward to no more screen door effect

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by MikeG, Oct 26, 2020.

1. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I honestly don't think my eyesight is good enough to see the screendoor on the valve index.

A larger FOV would be better though.

3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I've been playing around with a poor mans VR setup with mobile phone tethered to the PC. Amazing experience for games that support and that can work with it.

HD VR, AR + RTRT with wide FOV would shelve my 4K monitor upgrade plans in favor of this.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I was so close to getting a Quest 2, then I saw the mandatory facebook login and quickly dodged that crap.

waiting for valve to maybe offer a competitor to the quest series, the index is just too damn expensive.

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Yes, that Occulus FB dongle is pure BS. Who needs to give up their personal data to use a piece of HW?!

HP Reverb looks pretty good but I don't see it for sale anywhere!!! Or reviews!!! Hopefully the NEXT Gen will give us real wide FOV for a good price.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Fear not, jailbreaking is on the cards for this device, so expect it to appear real soon, and yes i did grab a Q2 and it's a nice bit of kit for the cash, and yes the FB thing is pure garbage, but thankfully i had a fake FB account sitting deactivated from a few years ago that i used with no issue.....of course i don't buy any games from the oculus store and i only use this HMD solely for PCVR steamvr wireless gaming over 5G, and jailbreaking will just make that so much better, so the irony here is FB have actually made the perfect PCVR Steamvr wireless streaming vr device, and all for £299.........so thanks FB. lol

Valken and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Nice, thanks for the info.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Someone in the last few days managed to jailbreak it

Also someone else managed to bypass the FB login

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Yeap it is on its way, this thing is going to be a very nice dedicated steamVR HMD, better res than the Index and you can wireless stream your games over 5g and that works great, so no more thethered vr and only £299..........so thank you FB and cram your social media site BS were the sun don't shine. lol

ZXRaziel and Valken like this.
  10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    @XP-200

I saw hackers JB the Quest 2!!! Hope you can share your experience with us with wireless WIFI and please advise if you are using AC or AX WIFI6 5GHZ.

I am tempted to get the cheapest one just for sit down KB+M VR headset for head tracking!

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^I am just using a run of the mill ISP provided 5g router here in the UK, the superhub from talktalk, and i get between 844mbps and 422mbps, and with the Virtual desktop app and sidequest it runs and look great, i have been enjoying SkyrimVR untethered and now i can't go back to thethered....and i was very skeptical about this, very skeptical, but a decent link cable was costing me £35, and the Virtual desktop app was cost £15, so i gambled on the app and it paid off......so far i have tried SkyrimVR, Elite Danger and Beat saber all work perfectly, Borderlands 2 vr work perfectly but the game itself does not support the Quest so it have some issues with aiming and the hud...... but i still have a pile of games to try......F4VR, Dirt rally, Arizone sunshine, Euro and American truck sim, to name a few....plus i am still fiddling and messing about with the app, but i will say it has a ton of settings to fne tune your experience, and did i also say it even offers gamma and brightness settings, which are a god send because the Q2 uses a LCD panel, and as we all know those are not as good as Oled, but those two settings really do help to negate the black and colour vibrancy of the LCD panel......but yeah if you are looking for a cheap steamVR HMD then the Q2 is the way to go at this time.

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    @XP-200

Do you NEED to use Virtual Desktop app on the Q2? And if so, can you side load it, without having to create a FB account, then to the Occulus store to buy it?

Like if we purchase VD off Steam, then just install it over WIFI or USB to the Q2?

It sounds like a good experience so far with the Q2!

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You will need to buy the app from the Q2 store, then you need to sideload sidquest because there is a small patch on there that makes all the wireless streaming magic work, so you unfortunately need to make a fake FB account so you can initially start the Q2 then buy the app..........jb won't get round this first setup part because the Q2 requires a firmware update when you first start it up.......but really making a fake account is worth it just for the fact your getting a very nice little bit of vr kit f0r £299 that once JB, will be the perfect ssteamvr hmd to rival the index, hell its res per eye beats the index, and no external sensors. :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Just wanted to see if you have any updates? 6800 + XT variants to be launched tomorrow! Would be a good combo!

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    The cost of gpu that could push such display would cost how much? probably as much as the displays cost?

16. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Nice.

Personally, I don't notice a screen door effect on my HP Reverb G2 headset either, but my RTX 3090 is struggling at the headset's native resolution/refresh rate in some games already (Microsoft Flight Simulator, Star Wars Squadrons, Assetto Corsa Competizione,...). :)

Valken likes this.
  17. My first VR headset was a Rift CV1 back in March. Barely noticed or paid any attention to the SDE, but knew it was there.

Got a Quest 2 shortly after it launched, and the SDE on my CV1 was painfully obvious then. I don't notice any SDE at all on the Q2.

• Oculus Link is the term for VR over a cable (notably a Link cable)
    • Virtual Desktop, AMD Relive VR, and ALVR all do wireless PCVR streaming
    • Virtual Desktop must be purchased from Oculus Store (no known way around the entitlement check), and must be the Quest version (not Rift, and thus not from Steam either)
    • AMD Relive VR only works with AMD GPUs, but it's free; ALVR works with NVIDIA and AMD GPUs, and is also free
    • You need to side-load a patch in order to get Virtual Desktop to do wireless PCVR streaming (and thus need all the prerequisites to enable developer mode for SideQuest, along with a USB-C cable good enough for file transfers)

Personally, I mainly use Virtual Desktop for Guided Meditation VR and Blade & Sorcery occasionally. Link provides a more stable experience and better graphics overall (you only get up to 150Mbps max bitrate in the most ideal network conditions with VD; Link is 500Mbps which mostly any off-the-shelf USB 3.0 cable can do well within the 2.0Gbps limit). Overall Link also has less hassle (sometimes with VD I can't connect to my PC or it'll randomly cut-out in the middle of games). VD when it works though is nice and convenient.

I use some $20 generic 13-ft USB C-to-C cable off eBay for Link, but I'd upgrade to an official cable if it happens to go on sale.

Valken likes this.
  18. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    @Espionage724 Thanks for the writeup. Really appreciate it, but the FB spyware is a no go for. No Whatsapp, no FB, no google, no spyware...

When hackers get it working without FB, I will consider it. Or if it is hacked onto Linux.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    The CV1 even now in 2021 is still in my view the HMD that got it almost all right out of the gate, great tracking, comfort is off the scale, controllers are still the best even today, manual ipd and the Oculus sdk still offers better performance than steamVR.......whereas with the Q2, the tracking is fine, the res per eye is great, almost no sde, but the fact it only has 3 ipd fixed settings, the default strap is just terrible, the blasphemous seeing the edges of the lcd panel at any idp above 64, and of course the mandatory FB social media garbage hanging round it neck, makes it two steps forward and one step back.

Valken likes this.
  20. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Tried every VR set in depth (except Pimax). Valve Index, Vive with Wireless, and Samsung Odyssey Plus model offer the best experiences out of all them, for different reasons. Valve for tracking, Vive for the best wireless (you need the kit), and Samsung is OLED with a very effective "Anti-SDE" filter, resulting in the most immersive image.

My 2 cents.