Color Accuracy Mode

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PeskyPotato, Dec 16, 2020.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    You need to change permissions for the keys. There likely is a more elegant way to find out which is the right one, but you can also just edit them all or delete all and restart and then edit the newly created one.
    Though it is weird that CalTools doesn't do the trick for you, who knows what is wrong. You usually always want temporal dithering and not the other available modes.

2. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    I am using HDTV as a monitor and when i install clean drivers without touching anything and without ICC profile active i get color mode "Accurate", is this intended, shouldnt it be reference if nothing is touched? What exactly is making it "accurate"? Im using 2.2 gamma on the tv, should i set it to reference? Honestly i dont see a difference either way but since it blanks the screen when switching i might miss it if its moderate (as i suspect it is).

Also, is there a downside to keeping 10 bit color active all the time? I understand it wont make anything 10bit that is not color controlled and written in 10 bit but do i lose anything in the conversion for normal 8 bit content or is the conversion seamless?

3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    To me, it looks like Refence mode disables the calibration LUT (or rather keeps it neutral) rather than loading a LUT from the ICM/ICC file (if any, but there is always a default profile - usually the sRGB one with neutral LUT but it can be set by applications, even at "system level").

tfam26 likes this.
  4. superleeds27

superleeds27 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX560 TI
    So if I'm using Displaycal for my monitor calibration, do i need to do anything or just install and go?

5. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    No custom ICM/ICC profile(s) for the display: doesn't matter either ways. Just forget about it.

Custom calibration through software (modified 1D LUT in the VGA memory ): make sure it's unticked (you will loose the benefits of your LUT otherwise) but that's the default

Hardware-calibrated (precise factory-, or custom programmed 1D and/or 3D LUT in the display's internal processor): tick it if you wish to make sure the VGA output is not altered by "rogue" profiles (might set/loaded unintentionally)

Extra info: some games (or other fullscreen applications) might try to use the VGA LUT to convert between their default output and sRGB. That's a really bad practice (the calibration LUT is for display calibration, so they erase the custom calibration from the VGA memory, invalidating the calibration not only for the game but everything else system-wide until the calibration LUT is re-loaded by the OS on next reboot or a LUT manager's "trigger" - these games usually won't save the and restore the initial state but load their own and either leave it as-is after exit or simply reset it to neutral). This is rare but it's not unprecedented.
    However, these changes are usually small. I used to apply some trick to prevent this type of modification back when I used the calibration LUT (the calibration was the bigger change than the game's slight alteration, so the final image still looked better).
    Nowadays, it's not hard to find affordable displays with programmable 1DLUT (or even 3DLUT), even with VRR (look at the LG OLEDs for example: VRR + 3DLUT in hardware).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    tfam26 likes this.
  6. superleeds27

superleeds27 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX560 TI

Yeah that's all over my head if I'm being honest.

I have my monitor (AD27QD) calibrated with DisplayCal - XYZLUT + MTX. DisplyCal handles the loading of this.

If I update to these newer drivers that have the color accuracy mode, do I need to change any of the settings in Color Accuracy mode, or just leave it as it is.

Edit: After re-reading, it sounds like it's a case of install and leave it to the default? Assuming Accurate is the default?

7. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Yeah, that's pretty much the TL;DR, just as I mentioned it earlier. No special needs and/or knowledge: forget about it! (It's simply yet another option you don't need to alter from default.)

Xtreme512, superleeds27 and tfam26 like this.
  8. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

These are my findings as well. I've been using reference and simply calibrating using the displays CMS as I get very very low DE errors on my set (we're talking >.3de maximum on greyscale and >1.0de on color... and thats after saturation sweeps). Like I stated earlier in the thread, "Reference" should technically provide less color conversions if its functioning as intended, and their won't be any noticeable processing delay from having it on "Accurate".

Again, the average person and especially those without a decent meter and software to use it should just leave everything at default on Windows and in NVCP regarding this feature IMHO. Just a word to the wise, obsessing about color and calibration will drive you just as crazy as going down the driver rabbit hole. You won't notice a difference unless you have lots of experience with calibration and are extremely sensitive to color and especially if you are male... we tend to be a lot worse at color perception. :)

9. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I guess this option is part of the "Studio Ready" marketing of Geforce drivers.
    Indeed.
    Interesting. I didn't know about this fe/male difference. But a significantly bigger part of the content creators tend to be male (colorists, game designers, etc) and we want to see things as they envisioned them, so...
    Also, I recently did a Rorschack test and it seemed like I am psychologically sensitive to color. (I gave very different answers to the plates which had saturated colors compared to the grayscale plates. Although I don't have the professional opinion on my results yet.)

tfam26 likes this.
  10. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    I think I get how it works;

Reference: If you want to use the profile preconfigured with your monitor (sRGB, DCI-P3, Rec709 etc) or if lucky you have one with a built in LUT/3DLUT.

Accurate: If you load an ICC colour into Windows Colour Management that you either created, got from your monitor drivers or downloaded from a website.

Enhanced: Will show up if the reference is unticked and no ICC profile is loaded into Windows Colour Management system or you modify colours using the "Apply Colour Enhancement" in the NV control panel, for example when enabling Digital Vibrance

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Enhanced will show as soon as you move any of the sliders.

tfam26 likes this.
  12. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

It's not necessarily a "profile", Reference Mode is simply providing you with an "untouched" image devoid of all LUTs/ICC profiles and color conversions... sans SDR-->HDR conversions and the like. (Bordering on mincing words here :p).

This is apparently an option mainly for people who want to use their displays CMS (color management system, greyscale/colorspace/etc) to calibrate instead of letting software handle it.

Again, this is IF the description in NVCP is accurately depicting the function and also IF it is functioning as intended per the description.

13. peteli

peteli Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    I've got a question, my display is calibrated with a custom ICC profile for the desktop, but when I play I use my display's games color profiles that have faster pixel response. Does this new option enforce the ICC profile or let the game disable Windows color calibration? I know most games disable calibration when you play in fullscreen.

14. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    The VGA 1DLUT does not introduce any meaningful latency. It's a simple and quick hardware processing which have been around for 20+ years (even back in the days of AGP cards and CRT displays with analog D-sub connectors).
    When a game clears this 1DLUT that's a "bug", not a feature. It's not about latency at all.
    You can still calibrate the "Game" hardware mode of your display. Although this 1DLUT will only correct white balance and gamma, saturation will be untouched. (3D gamut correction is much more heavy on the processors but some modern displays can do it with near-zero latency in hardware using on-board 3DLUT.)

15. peteli

peteli Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Thanks for answering. I'm not worried about latency at all, I play solo games 99% of the times, and even when I play online games, I play causally. I'm not planning to calibrate a profile just for the games profiles, I was more worried about the ICC profile calibrated for the USER profile of my monitor skewing colors of the FPS and RTS game profiles of my monitor a lot more than what they probably are for an uncalibrated mode. I haven't noticed a difference when playing game, and I didn't really pay attention to it until nvidia added this new color accuracy feature.