RTX 30x Fan Issues - Not AB's Fault

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ashkaan, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Ashkaan

Ashkaan Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Guys, I am having and I keep reading about fan issues with the RTX 30x Series. I have enough data (after a ton of testing) to demonstrate that this has nothing to do with AB. We need a new target and/or a new workaround.

Issue:
    Fans are overly aggressive and noisy. Fans cannot be controlled to quell this using software.

Data:
    Without any adjustments or fan software installed (AB, EVGA PX1, Zotac FS, etc), the GPU turns into a jet engine with some basic gameplay. I'm running the latest drivers (457.09) and my 3080 has 3x Fans.

No matter which fan software I use, I get the following results:

Fan 1 controls Fan 1 on the GPU. I seem to be able to manually take it from 30%-100% with no problems.

Fan 2 controls Fan 2, but as soon as I set it to ANY number, it runs at 100% and stays there. I cannot bring it down until I shut down and power up again.

Fan 3 is not controllable at all (and only fires up on its own when temps are high).

Conclusion:
    Since EVGA PX1, Zotac FS, and AB all exhibit this same behavior, it's clearly got nothing to do with AB. The tension that I'm seeing between users and Unwinder is unnecessary and unwarranted. This is highly likely either an Nvidia driver issue OR a BIOS issue with my particular model (ZT-A30800J-10P).

Call for Help:
    If anyone has additional useful and verifiable data or has figured out any workarounds (I'm open to flashing over here!), please post so we can get to the bottom of this unfortunate situation and get back to (what we all have in common here) GAMING!

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    It is probably at the BIOS level, but have you tried just installing the driving using control panel, have disk and pointing to the driver and not installing any of the Nvidia bloatware.

Again I think this is at the BIOS level though.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Known issue in 457.09.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  4. Ashkaan

Ashkaan Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Ahhh.. poop. Ok, thank you!

5. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    So, basically we need to wait for the next driver release that will hopefully solve this?

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    a fix for it is likely the only thing stopping a hotfix for the other issues fixed since the new GRD.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  7. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Gotcha. Well, I cannot complain about the automatic fan management when switching to OC mode, but I was indeed getting a couple of degrees less with a custom profile. Thing is, one of the three fans doesn't show up in the readings and therefore I don't know if it's working properly at the speed I set. I will just wait and see what happens next.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Custom fan curve would be a workaround I guess. I upgraded to 457.09 but don't recall having fan issues though I'll investigate this evening.

9. SplitSoul

SplitSoul Guest

GPU:
    Eagle OC 3070 8GB
    I'm having this issue with my brand new Gigabyte Eagle OC 3070 8GB on 460.89. Has it just not been fixed yet or has the bug been reintroduced? Is there no workaround? I've read terrible stuff about their RMA process and would like to avoid it if at all possible. I've tried AUROS Engine, Afterburner and Precision X1 to no avail. The third fan will not cease spinning until I shut down.

10. SplitSoul

SplitSoul Guest

GPU:
    Eagle OC 3070 8GB
    I tried the 460.97 hotfix driver, but it gave me worse frames in Cyberpunk than 460.89, so I rolled back doing a clean install, and the problematic fan spun down during the install.

11. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    to be precise if u enable user fan control in MSI u can adjust it from range 30%-100%
    [​IMG]

if u disable user define fan control it goes 0% but u cannot use any fan curve thats how it's working on my msi 3070 ventus 3X OC
    [​IMG]

it's not driver issue but NVIDIA default settings for 30XX series more info @ AB subforum but plzz don't ask Unwinder about User fan control/custom fan curve
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-afterburner-4-6-3-beta-4-is-it-real.435810/

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The only applications that manage to retain Fan stop are using direct programming of the Fan i2c, which is

A) Dangerous
    B) Not supported by Nvidia.

NVAPI fan control does not permit fan stop, Can nvidia reimplement NVAPI to permit this?, sure, but then they are also opening a can of worms which could allow noobs to overheat the card and bitch at them when the device black screens to protect itseslf.

13. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    Besides if u have 3X Fan card no matter what soft u will use u cannot control 3rd FAN (marked red in pic) at all (even if two first fans are @ 0%RPM) but tbh i dont care AB have so much to offer in other areas
    [​IMG]

14. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I can control my ASUS RTX 3090 ROG Strix' fans with MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 4 via custom fan curve just fine (albeit not separately, but I don't need to anyway - I can also set fan speed to 0% via curve and they will all stop). On the 3090 Strix, the outer two fans are controlled together and the center one is controlled separately.

15. mcergun

mcergun Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Really sorry to bump this topic but I haven't found any similar threads around on the internet.

Last week, my Gigabyte 3080 started acting weird just like the OP described. When there was any need for the fans to ramp up, Fan2 (along with the middle fan) would just go 100%, and never go back down.

Using software to manually set fan speed did the same thing, if you set it anything else than 0%, the fan would go up to 100%. You either had to disable GPU device from device manager, or reboot the computer.

After 3 - 4 days of installing/removing driver versions, GPU utilities, the problem suddenly went away. I am now back to the latest drivers, and the issue doesn't happen again. But I can't trust this GPU anymore, it feels like it can go wrong anytime.

Do you think the issue is a driver incompatibility, or the hardware going wrong slowly?

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its just the fans, sure its annoying but I wouldn't think the card itself was going bad and like you said it went away.
    Maybe you should check to see if you have malware of some sort, miner.

17. mcergun

mcergun Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    No, I don't think I have something that uses the GPU. I checked it throughly for the usage and RPM values. When the fans were acting weird, their RPM values would show as 0 even though they were running at full load all the time.

Also GPU usages or the temperatures were nowhere near to require an extensive cooling (of a single one)

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Could be the 12VHPWR cable, the sense pins are very fragile.

19. mcergun

mcergun Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Gigabyte uses standard 6+2 pin PCIe power cables for the card.
    Also I have tried removing GPU and installing it back again with various drivers which didn't solve the problem. Until it started to act normal by itself.