Nvidia GeForce Driver Version 461.09 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by EdKiefer, Jan 7, 2021.

1. n\/Cl34r

n\/Cl34r Active Member

GPU:
    Same as with all other Ampere drivers, i still get blackscreens / driver resets in desktop mode randomly.
    However, there are no windows event logs for them. I think on the first Ampere driver i used to get nv.... has stopped responding events.

Windows 10 64 up to date, this driver, RTX 3080.

They only happen when something 2D hardware-accelerated is on the screen and their frequency gets much higher if it is several HW-accelerated windows at once.
    HW-accelerated windows are things like: Firefox, MPC-HC, Cryptomator UI, AnyDesk Remote window...
    A single HW-accelerated window is enough for it to happen but it is extremely rare (happened once on this driver).
    Two or three windows open concurrently increase the frequency to "within one hour it will likely happen".

As i don't have an eventlog in windows when it happens ... is there something else i can do to save logs or stacks?

2. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Scoty likes this.
  3. BlackScout

BlackScout Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    "Resizable BAR is an optional PCI Express interface technology. As you move through a world in a game, GPU memory (VRAM) constantly transfers textures, shaders and geometry via many small CPU to GPU transfers.

With the ever-growing size of modern game assets, this results in a lot of transfers. Using Resizable BAR, assets can instead be requested as-needed and sent in full, so the CPU can efficiently access the entire frame buffer. And if multiple requests are made, transfers can occur concurrently, rather than queuing."

"For desktop systems to get the benefits of Resizable BAR, you will need a graphics card, motherboard and graphics driver that support the feature. New GeForce RTX graphics cards starting with the GeForce RTX 3060 will have support for Resizable BAR. NVIDIA and our GPU partners are also readying VBIOS updates for existing GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards starting in March."

"Our Game Ready Driver with Resizable BAR support will be released alongside the GeForce RTX 3060 in late February. Stay tuned to GeForce.com for further details."

I'm sorry. A VBIOS upgrade is needed for that to work? What kind of... I don't even know where to begin to be honest.
    Even worse, let's assume you don't know how to do a VBIOS upgrade. You just lose performance because they are incompetent in not only selling cards but also making things work out of the box? What? LMAO.

Gandul and tfam26 like this.
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its you that isnt able to understand.
    They could quite easily not release this feature, then you wouldnt lose fps, you simply wouldnt gain any.

or ...

They release it and those that perform the update and have the hardware and OS capable of using it will "GAIN"
    fps.

Retrospect is a great thing but this wasnt a release feature on any Intel or NVidia hardware.
    It has to be added afterward for those that already have the hardware.
    imo be thankful it can be done without needing future hardware!

Cave Waverider likes this.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its currently Ampere only, we dont know if its possible on previous hardware.

6. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    They likely won't bother with previous hardware due to the sheer effort of releasing VBIOS updates for every specific card.

7. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I wonder if MB manufacturers will release a bios update for z370 for BAR, mine has the 4g option already so it's half implemented right ?

8. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Bzzzt! Wrong! Actually BlackScout has got a valid point. Your fanboy is showing.

I find it really hard to believe this hasn't been in the works for awhile and the fact that at the very very least Ampere didn't ship with RBAR support in the bios seems more than a little stupid from any practical viewpoint.

This feature has been available for many moons on Linux and all of these companies are touting it as some revolutionary feature when in reality this should have been enabled by default on all shipped GPUs the moment 64bit architecture and PCI Gen3 became widely adopted. It would not only have benefitted consumers but also developers.

Its more than just a little sad to defend these companies when its just more marketing nonsense and incompetence being sold as doing the consumer a huge favor by FINALLY enabling something that should have been an industry standard years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2021
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Bzzzt! Wrong! On a few levels ;)

The first flaw in your argument, it was not part of the specs of any product on sale.
    It has been in the running from other vendors but AMD forced them to release sooner, on current products.
    Though there is already a lesser version of it released by MS.

The second flaw in your argument is I owned many AMD / ATI products and currently have an AMD 3600 CPU based system.

10. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

*sigh*

That's literally the whole point dude... Its been part of the PCI Gen3 spec since PCI Gen3 was released. So why not ship your products with native support for it? What's the excuse, legacy support for gamers on 32bit OS? We all know how AMAZING 32bit gaming is!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/resizable-bar-support

And I'm not sure why you think that previously owning team red while currently shilling for team green doesn't make you a fanboy. That's kind of a logic loop that I doubt you're equipped to explain your way out of considering your previous comments.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You said I was wrong, nothing I posted is wrong, and you made a rather strong statement to that effect.
    That any part of it has been part of any spec is beside the point I made entirely.

You just want to argue because you think I'm a fanboy, supposedly opposed to your fanboy brand lol.

12. Gandul

Gandul Member

GPU:
    DUKE RTX 2080 Ti
    ^Cat fight^

Brothers please, let's leave that to the humans...

beezee, BlackScout, Xtreme512 and 2 others like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its possible from Kepler onwards, but good luck getting consumer grade vbios updates going back that far.

As far as requirements go, it just needs a device capable of iommu, a vbios with the Rebar cap specified (or a kernel to patch it at boot *cough*linux*cough*) and the card to have vram exceeding 256MB. I think the main vbios change though is exposing device memory >4G(64bit Bar), but I can only go by what linux is doing to guess there.

i'll get discommunicated :D for this, but manuel told me they'd been working on this since 2018.

Because you can't trust gigabyte and msi to implement anything right if it involves ACPI compliance. :p

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    BlackScout, tfam26 and Mufflore like this.
  14. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So everyone but Ampere users will be left in the dust. Just about what I expected.

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @BlackScout
    @tfam26

Automatic performance boost from RBAR feature is possible only in one scenario - if all transfers of assets from CPU to GPU are made by the videocard driver (in kernel layer or DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan). That way update of the driver can bring improvement. But if memory transfers are coded in the game`s code then all transfers will still be made by smaller chunks - just because this behaviour is hardcoded.

BlackScout, Blackfyre, tfam26 and 2 others like this.

16. Jen1

Jen1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2x SLI
    Not because I have a Pascal card (1080) but all cards starting pascal should have thier vbios updated for bar support.

OK it is because i have a pascal card :p

17. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Haha, yeah fair enough. Well either way, thank you for your input and going out on a limb to quell my suspicions. :)

Again, thank you for the input and for confirming my suspicions. This is what I meant when I said it could have benefitted developers as well, considering more developers would have had exposure to the tech and most if not all games at this point could have been made compatible with the feature as you say.

My gripe is simply pragmatic in regards to giving developers and consumers the most value for their tech while simultaneously pushing the industry forward, or to put it plainly:

"WHY THE EFF WAS THIS NOT MADE THE STANDARD YEARS AGO!" :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2021
  18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ask AMD ;)

19. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Yeah, and fair enough again. And hey, sorry for being an ass yesterday Mufflore. I am genuinely here just to learn... and make ridiculous jokes that don't translate well in text. Hope there's no ill will. Have a great day man.

(on topic: driver works great in Valhalla! Yes I'm still playing it...)

mbk1969 likes this.
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Because this PCI-E feature was optional.

tfam26 likes this.