NVME slower than SATA SSD in maven builds

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by GODzillaSDM, Jan 7, 2021.

1. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    So my 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus nvme drive seems to be slower than my 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for maven builds. Max write speed on the nvme was 236MB/s and max on ssd was 293MB/s This came out to be a different of about 2 mins on nvme and 1m 30s on ssd. (Not all of it is write time, but it does appear that the nvme is about 30s slower "for" writing) since everything else is the same.

I ran CrystalDiskMark and everything seems normal
    upload_2021-1-7_11-31-10.png

So I'm not sure why the NVME drive is slower than the SATA SSD. Any ideas?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    in what use case?

3. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    maven build for a large application for work. Compiling code and writing about 3GB worth of files.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    opening and closing file handles and source code work compilation in general is cpu bound, you won't get the improvement from an nvme you were hoping for

5. HandR

HandR Member

GPU:
    RTX4090
    Or perhaps the nvme drive is throttling because of high tempertures if large files are being written?

Also, the slc cache might get full, after wich the speed will drop to tlc speeds, wich are a lot lower then the speeds you get in the beginning when the slc cache is not yet full.

6. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Indeed cpu plays a bigger role, and I did see a huge jump going from i7 6700k to Ryzen 5 5800x. But the comparison I'm doing right now is on the same cpu, same system. Except on different hard drives. Even if I don't see an improvement on nvme, you would expect it to be the same as the SSD at the very least. But what i'm seeing is 30s slower on the nvme.

7. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    This might be it. Let me check the cache size and what the TLC speeds are. Thanks

edit
    looks like cache size is 4GB min, and TLC speeds are still 900MB/s which should be faster than SSD's 550MB/s.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not at all, as certain implementations of ahci drivers can affect the performance of 4k writes, nvme controllers and the different nvme drivers can also.

NCQ implementation on NAND based storage differs from vendor to vendor for example, you might benefit from the OF NVME driver, but while it implements the most recent nvme spec, it also has some suspend/resume bsod issues.

386SX likes this.