See for yourself how close Microsoft Flight Simulator is to real life in visuals

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2021.

1. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    There are only few cities in details. Most of the world is randomly procedurally generated with common with reality.

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's not a rich person problem, it's a sensitive person problem, and that fact that you're completely oblivious to that is a good thing as far as casual gaming goes, that means you can enjoy your low FPS without issues. It probably means you also have slow reaction times which is where it comes to bite you back if you care about that. Those of us who low FPS irritates can even feel motion sickness from it.

And a large part of the reason that even 60 fps can feel like ass these days is the piss-poor frame pacing almost every single "tRiPLe AAAYyyyYY" game has. 60 fps with perfect frame pacing is choppy but it can be adjusted to without it being a deal breaker, but the closest I've seen to perfect pacing from recent-ish PC port is HZD which actually has pacing problems. Shows how fracked it all is.

To go below 60 fps for someone sensitive and still be playable it'd have to be a combination of absolutely perfect frame pacing, an art style far off from reality which can act as a type of mask, very slow movement and camera movement, along with something to mask the obviously large gaps between frames so it doesn't look like a flip book. The literal one and only example of that I can think of is The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword on the Wii. It runs at a locked 30 fps which makes the controls feel like you're moving a blue whale, but it's not absolutely revolting to look at and play.

I have no idea how that translates as far as this flight sim goes, but in general, there's a good reason why people have such strong aversion to low fps.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    gx-x likes this.
  3. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    I like the look of the Microsoft version. The real-life footage suffers from blur caused by some poor anti-aliasing algorithm, and it seems mist is used to obscure details so to reduce performance cost.

4. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    It's quite obvious what's real and what isn't real, but given the scale of everything it still looks pretty good.

Silva likes this.

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    You know you'll never be at constant 30fps if you're talking averages and you will have dips that will ruin the experience. If you're talking 1% low at +30fps I'll agree with you, but for that you need a bigger average or a perfectly optimized game, is it?.

I dearly miss the days of 100hz on my CRT and I can't wait to ditch my current 75hz panel for a 144hz one, only problem is availability: everything is out of stock at the moment, including the one I chose.

6. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    fps caps intended to create smoother gameplay,
    the caps intend to create stable-buffer-flow or giving room in GPU utilization etc.

if at constant 30fps settings u getting lots of dips, then how setting it to higher fps will be better experience?
    obviously it will be worse with higher fps, because it probably will have more dips, and fps drop will be more visible due to bigger fps drop gaps

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Imagine you're playing at average 30fps with 1% lows of -10 of average.
    Imagine you're playing at average 60fps with the same 1% lows of -10 of average.

What is better?

gx-x likes this.
  8. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    depends who you ask apparently. Game devs thought 5 fps would be fine (since they probably started making the game 10 years ago)...

/joke

or is it?

Silva likes this.