Radeon Software Slimmer

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GSDragoon, Jul 3, 2020.

1. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    New beta is out, with a bunch of changes mainly for post install. This one is definitely a beta. After this, I want to clean up some things and hopefully get out a 1.0 release in the next couple weeks while I'm off work and have time. Let me know if there are any issues or have any feedback on these changes. It's tough trying to balance making things easy to use and also allowing advanced control.

https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.0.0-beta.8

New Features
    • Post Install: Added information about running Radeon Software and Host Services processes
    • Post Install: Added functionality to start and stop Radeon Software and Host Services processes
    • Post Install: Added back the ability to enable and disable Host Services
    • Post Install: Added last run time to scheduled tasks list view
    • Post Install: Added enable all and disable all buttons for scheduled tasks
    • Post Install: Added functionality to enable and disable services
    • Post Install: Added functionality to start and stop services
    • Post Install: Tweaked and added informational text to the UI
    • Post Install: Add Dx9 shader cache folder to temp files
    Changes to Existing Functionality
    • Post Install: Removed author from scheduled tasks
    • Post Install: Moved changing service start mode to advanced section
    Other Changes
    • Pre Install: Reworked some internal logic for how the navigation triggers extraction and loading of the installer files to account for changes in MahApps.Metro 2.4.0.
    Dependencies Updated
    • MahApps.Metro 2.3.4 -> 2.4.3
    • TaskScheduler 2.8.21 -> 2.9.0

2. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Jackalito, JonasBeckman and MerolaC like this.
  3. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    All I can really say is Thanks for the work, just so much stupid bloat, you used to be able to pick if you wanted relive installed now AMD just installs all this Rubbish.

Kero and GSDragoon like this.
  4. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX 4080
    For the first time in 15 years i'm back using AMD. Since i like my install as clean as possible i was wondering what packages and scheduled tasks i don't need without getting problems? Normally i only install drivers and settings fot both graphics and audio? I see a lot of audio/sound related packages??? Thanx.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The FAQ for the slimmer is pretty good, for my own way of handling it I install the driver as usual then uninstall the VR component (Registry edit and set it as System 0 so it shows up.) since I don't have a VR kit or use OpenVR.

After that I usually remove the start up tasks as I do not utilize AMD Link or need Radeon Settings running in the background and while it has it's uses I also rename the two overlay related files for Radeon Settings so it doesn't run either.
    Install the latest Vulkan runtime (AMD uses 1.2.154.1) - https://vulkan.lunarg.com/sdk/home (Just the small runtime not the full SDK.) and finally a reboot once everything else is set up. :)

Almost forgot a part here.

Command line with administrative rights and PNPUtil.exe -e followed by PNPUtil..exe -d OEM0.inf to whatever to clear out the older AMD driver files, AMD Fendr/Defender/Crash Reporter and the virtual gamepad thing I believe is what that last one is.
    (Optional but I don't use the crash reporter and I don't have a gamepad plus cleaning out the prior driver files is a nice little cleanup extra.)

After that and back from restarting (Radeon Settings will complain if you try to open it before rebooting.) start Radeon Settings and set it all up as desired test for stability however long you feel is needed if you activate and use Wattman for anything and finally close the Radeon Settings process, I don't need it again until the next driver update generally.
    (Updating resets Wattman and also for when doing any fully clean driver installations between major updates to these.)

Potentially you may also want to set things like the DirectX shader cache state, ULPS mode and other options that aren't available in Radeon Settings and reboot again otherwise that's it. :)

FAQ on the Github page for Slimmer covers it all fairly well including the otherwise fairly obscure AMD External Events processes (I leave those alone.) and other packaged components.
    Should also handle most of these tasks and a few others for you without the manual process I usually go through.

https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/wiki
    Again this covers most of the above in better detail and describes what the various components and services do so it's a really handy guide for what you want to keep or what you can remove and what should be kept.

EDIT: As to AMD's chipset driver I grab the latest I can find and hope it installs. :p
    (November 26th but all it has is a slightly newer power profile so it's not that important over the current main AMD version.)

If not I go through the log files find the offending error throwing component uninstall that first and then it works.
    (Usually a path error from different folder names in the cases I've had this it was the PCI-E driver getting name changes.)

Keeping the latest Visual C++ runtime installed too but as AMD's using 2019 now it just skips over trying to add a older version so this is handled a lot better instead of having multiples.
    (Not that that's usually a problem but I like keeping the system fairly clean, OSOCD. :D )

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    GSDragoon likes this.
  6. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX 4080
    Thanx for your reply, that was very useful.

7. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Radeon Software Slimmer 1.0.0-beta.10
    https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.0.0-beta.10

Still waiting on the first 2021 driver, to see if they are making any big changes.

New Features
    • PreInstall: Added buttons to enable all or disable all scheduled tasks
    • PostInstall: Added temp file paths for analytics and news feed
    Defects Fixed
    • PreInstall: Fixed a bug to allow enabling scheduled tasks that are disabled
    • PostInstall: Fixed LocalLow temp file paths
    • PostInstall: Fixed a bug that prevented Host Services from being disabled or enabled

MerolaC and JonasBeckman like this.
  8. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Woops, forgot to post this earlier in the week. A 1.0.0 non-beta is out there. Not much different from beta 10. It's not perfect, but it a pretty good spot.

https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.0.0

From Beta.10:
    Dependencies Updated
    • TaskScheduler 2.9.0 -> 2.9.1
    Other Changes
    • Minor build/release process changes

Jackalito and MerolaC like this.
  9. Tonn22C

Tonn22C Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    So if i just want to configure Antialising / Tesselelation, Anisotropic Filtering and ETC do i only need this?

i don't use the HDMI of my GPU so not installing the audio parts is fine?

What is Navi UCSI Driver ; I2STDMA Driver and Branding 64?

Any scheduled tasks i should be worried about?

upload_2021-4-2_2-15-44.png

10. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    You might need Branding64, but looks good otherwise. If you click the question marks, they take you to pages with some more information about the components.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    UCSI is the USB driver if your card has a USB-C port. :)
    (Navi20 reference designs but not all of the custom models have this instead opting for a DP or HDMI port.)

EDIT: Actually that's probably covered already in the Github FAQ for the project.
    (AMD UCM-UCSI Device, it's also in the device manager a bit down with the USB devices.)

12. HaTrickz

HaTrickz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    Isn't Branding64 normally responsible for adverts in the settings app ?
    I think that uncheking it in slimmer or disabling it in radeon settings does the same, only difference being that with slimmer files are not copied to the install dir.
    Not 100% sure cause i always uncheck it anyway :) and got no problems.
    Github FAQ says it might be for context menu item but it's still present and working ok without it.

13. HaTrickz

HaTrickz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    This is even better now with 21.4.1 (DVR can be disabled with overlay and services), the only thing is that Display driver has two entries now in packages list.

GSDragoon likes this.
  14. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Radeon Software Slimmer 1.1.0
    https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.1.0

I was hoping for more customization available with 21.4.1 drivers that I could tap into, but I couldn't find anything useful. The extra/dummy manifest files threw me for a curveball, but they don't actually do anything. I think the display driver is listed twice, once for the UWP version. Anyways, updated to account for everything in 21.4.1 drivers. I've been updating the wiki some too.

New Features
    • Pre Install: Sort installer packages by name 9653d96
    • Pre Install: Split out pre install final layout to use tabs and match post install. The lists are getting bigger. 23687bf
    • Post Install: Added entry for AMDSAFD (AMD Streaming Audio Driver) 9ddaca8
    • Post Install: Added AMD_Common temp file cleanup cdd99e8
    Changes to Existing Functionality
    • Pre Install: Removed installer file names from packages and scheduled task lists. This was not useful and took up a lot of space. 65df7b8
    • Post Install: Removed the option to disable Host Services. This wasn't working and can be done a much nicer way be removing AMD DRV64 introduced with 21.4.1 drivers. e2e6e21
    Dependencies Updated
    • MahApps.Metro 2.4.3 -> 2.4.5
    • Newtonsoft.Json 12.0.3 -> 13.0.1

Jackalito, HaTrickz and MerolaC like this.
  15. HaTrickz

HaTrickz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    Looks like now display driver has 2 distinct inf files, one for pre GCN 5 and one for newer architectures. Confusing thing is that url part in manifest points to the same inf for both, might be an error on their end (line 2276), so RSS packages list gives two entries with same name and url but in fact are not the same. No harm in letting both checked in RSS, the right one will be installed anyway but just for the info if someone is confused :)

GSDragoon likes this.

16. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    There's other stuff in that same folder for amdxe and amdfendr. They aren't in the installer manifest. I wouldn't be surprised if the installed just tries to install everything in there with a matching device ID. I wonder if removing folders there would prevent them and not break the installer. Those are the last few items that can't be removed from installing and have to be removed after.

17. HaTrickz

HaTrickz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    I've just tried installing 21.5.1 driver with removed amdxe and amdfendr folders then disabling all tasks and leaving only display driver and settings components in RSS like i always do.
    The installer completed with no problems and there was no entries for Link and Defender in device manager so it all went ok in my case.

GSDragoon likes this.
  18. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Thanks, I was able to do the same thing. Just delete those folders. They don't install and the installer doesn't complain. I'll have to put this removal into the tool.

Tomatone likes this.
  19. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Just a little teaser. I'm thinking something like this would handle removing those directories that install additional components with the display driver that aren't included in the installer manifests. I'm trying to work though using System.IO.Abstractions to be able to create some tests for things, so it will take a bit to get all that figured out before a release is available.

Attached Files:

AsiJu, Tomatone and HaTrickz like this.
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Just defected to team red (again :) ) and glad this software exists as I immediately noticed Radeon drivers are quite bloated these days.

I like you can record and have overlay etc. all via Radeon Software without 3rd party apps but customization is welcome.

PS: the AMD External Events Utility is still there it seems as it was with Radeon R9 290 days.
    And seems can still be disabled without issues, anyone really know what its for?

EDIT: err... which one should I download?

RSS_DL.png

Last edited: May 17, 2021