Acquisition ARM by Nvidia under investigation by UK antitrust authority

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    and here I just want to buy a damn video card :D

Noisiv likes this.
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Wasn't the comment in relation to second hand usage, like system integrators and ebay? I mean, you mean to tell me that websites didn't advertise custom builds with 'mining PC' or 'Crypto PC' ? Think about it, even Linus had videos on 'how to build crypto machine'.

I really do not think it was advertised as being a crypto product, just the commentary about it was more of an 'this is an interesting fact about our computation', but, I might be wrong.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Any random statement from Nvidia carries the same weight as a bird chirping on a tree branch. The same, of course, applies to all corporations everywhere in the world. It's a different thing only if Nvidia makes a deal properly in writing with the UK government stating the same thing, also stipulating that breaking the conditions listed will result in astronomically heavy consequences, such as ARM becoming fully independent, with no compensation paid to Nvidia. If it's just a few billion pounds fine, Nvidia couldn't care less. That's candy money for Jensen.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes yes, nvidia does all the bad things, amd never lies.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    You seem to be an ardent AMD fan despite sporting an Nvidia video card, but in reality, like I said in my post, it applies to all corporations in all and every field. I have lost count of times when one company bought another one and promised things will continue as they were, with all employees happily keeping their jobs, but in reality after a few years the operations were shut down and the production was relocated to the buyer's other facilities elsewhere in the country/world. It's especially common when a foreign (global) company buys a small domestic competitor. It's then exceedindly attractive for them to transfer everything to cheaper countries they are already operating in, save for some minor local marketing, maintenance, and such jobs. My home country is full of old, empty industrial sites that are the result of that treatment. Although a few times a corporation from here did the same thing abroad. That's just how it goes and I expect it to happen every time I see news about one company buying another.

In this particular case, since ARM isn't actually a concrete solid goods manufacturer but rather a designer, it's possible Nvidia indeed would keep things in the UK if just having the patents isn't enough and they want to keep the brains as well. However, it would be sheer insanity for Nvidia not to veer things into a direction that benefits Nvidia's own core businesses and hampers those of the competitors. That's what any business should do, after all.

6. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    True, but Mayashi Son also called the prime minister and chancellor of the exchequer to give a series of assurances prior to the purchase being intended to help it get through initially. I doubt such courting is needed now.

Agreed softbank and nvidia 2 different entities for owning IP, as well as ARM demonstrated more in server and HPC now than it was in 2016.
    However CMA has limited influence even in UK, particularly compared to courts and their challenges to scope of investigations, and subsequent legal challenges to their investigations.
    CMA has already pulled back from forcing any tech giants to reduce size or influence, instead proposing a code of conduct with fines whilst in USA and Europe there is more interest in trying to challenge their monopolies. CMA is also a non-ministerial department which has been working more directly with government since 2016 according to their chief executive, so unsure how true they remain to their mission statements.

May be different in this case, but their track record within tech doesn't seem like they would block Nvidia ARM deal unless it risks UK current job offering. Exception would be significant external influence to blocking, maybe China in view of IP restrictions?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hey, I suggest a joint venture :cool::D

Airbud and Clawedge like this.
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Kaarme May I suggest that @Astyanax was just only sarcastic?
    Don't let yourself carried away, ask before concluding.
    My 2 cents.
    To the thread at hand:
    “He who controls the spice controls the universe.”
    In a way, the quote seems appropiate.

Kaarme likes this.
  9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I don't pretend to be memorable enough for people to remember that I don't naively favour any company, but if Astyanax's basic modus operandi is to treat others like fools (worshippers of faceless corporations), then I will, in turn, return the favour and ignore his attempts at cheap sarcasm.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I remember pretty well actions regarding forum members, but mostly I developed a thick skin and don't let myself carried away with personal discussions or arguments.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    And we just have to take their word for it? If this is true, great - that's exactly what we need. But somewhere down the road, Nvidia will slip from this claim.

If I had to guess, there's 2 possible reasons:
    1. They didn't want to risk the EU to regulate UK's regulators. I've heard the EU has a tendency to overstep their bounds sometimes, and if they were to interfere, any future attempt would be foiled. Since the UK knew they were leaving, they were probably like "let's just wait and decrease the chances of a 3rd party stepping on our toes".
    2. If #1 wasn't a problem, maybe some other thing was getting in the way, like taxes or whatever, and the UK just wanted to reap the greatest amount of benefits.

12. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    [​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    100%. Both of them are shady and do dodgy crap that i don't know about, and for that which i do know of..... well.... they are equal in terms of misleading claims about their products. Difference is, AMD was shadier about it and their employee's weren't required to declare their affiliation on social media either (until recently).

When Nvidia pulls something shady, the employee's affiliation is well known and you can call them out on it publicly or privately :cool: (Like the time nvidia completely removed TrMSAA from GT200 and lower "accidentally")

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Astyanax agree, no company is your friend.
    And read you right,. sometimes people are not so comfortable with your wording.
    But I understand, the gist of your post are at point and presented in cold logic. Truth sucks, that's a hard pill to swallow.
    Remember kids, forums are for everyone and not everyone will hug you.
    Joking aside, I was defending your post, your sarcasm towards the while situation.
    You are more than able to "defend"yourself,if you catch my drift.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    upload_2021-1-9_18-10-40.png

Clawedge likes this.

16. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    There's a monopoly, and one of them is a reason to stop a merger but beyond that I don't think there is anything called "anti-competitive risk", nor are your examples of companies Nvidia competes with good because it doesn't really compete with any of them - it doesn't make phones/tablets, it's not an online web store for everything, or a provider of servers to big companies, and it doesn't have an advertising revenue stream built off extracting peoples data via a suite of software and providing tailored ads.
    It's main competitors are probably AMD and Intel who already have what Nvidia is buying - a cpu division.