See for yourself how close Microsoft Flight Simulator is to real life in visuals

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Legacy-ZA likes this.
  2. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800
    I'm not a fan of raytracing yet, the performance hit is too great still, beyond mirror surfaces or in this case the plane, how many perfect reflection surfaces we see in a day. Not only the performance needed to cast rays, then you have to work the results with denoisers and what not. Im all in for 3d engines progress but im more interested in adaptive shading than raytracing for now.

GSDragoon and Legacy-ZA like this.
  3. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    I showed the below to my wife and asked her which is FS2020 and which is real. without hesitation she chose correctly and said the FS2020 looked so fake
    Im shocked! It looked pretty realistic to me (I play FS2020 a lot too)

upload_2021-1-7_15-38-45.png

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I hope Asobo do introduce RT for it. Would make sense for this title in a couple years and next gen GPUs.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I like more FS for the overall quality, but real life for absence of stuttering.

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    "...we all agree you don't need high FPS on a flight-sim."
    Anything lower than 60fps and its unplayable, I don't like stuttering either.

7. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Well from those 2 videos, one thing gives it away for sure. Microstuttering. Hopefully they will eliminate that.

8. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    As a long term enthusiastic Flight Simmer I totally disagree with the FPS statement.

Low ( 30-60 ) FPS might be ok while in flight with a rather slow behaving aircraft it is in contrary a totally different thing to hover a helicopter at 30, 45, 60, 90 and above FPS. If you like flight simming, give DCS a chance and the helicopters a chance and you will see that 30fps is a nightmare for hovering Helis or fast low level F-16 flight through downtown Abu Dhabi or Vegas.

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    fps so low in that simulator that it looses to real life in every aspect, even price-performance ratio to airplane tickets...

10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Mine said game looks better than real life

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Come on, you know that women have a sixth sense, they see everything :)

No, it's just not an issue with a flightsim whatsoever. And remember, that's coming from the biggest g33k on this website. 30 FPS is fine as flying is a relatively slow-paced linear movement, stutters however are another story. Not saying that I wouldn't like 100+ FPS of course, but realistically at 30 FPS MS FS 2020 runs absolutely fine.

Keitosha and alanm like this.
  12. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    Just wait till they introduce RT+DLSS. It will be insanity!

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The engine is a dead giveaway - that actually looks really bad. Ignore the engine though and you'd have a hard time telling which one was fake.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think it obvious to anyone with working eye which is real and which is not, visual are NOT close to real life visual, we might be able to mirror what it looks but it not indistinguishable between the 2

I been where Photo Realistic term used in game for decaded and that to ISNT even close to the same

15. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    it's one of those "rich people" problem and I don't mean it in a money-sense but more in the "our level of acceptable is now 60+" for me the turning point was when I bought a 120Hz monitor, there was no way I continue plaiyng 30fps games on my xbox all I see is a "diaporama" of pictures jumping between each frames not motion I'd rather not play at all and I do all 30fps games don't exist anymore
    that said filght simers dont care so it's fine, they are here to fly planes without paying the fuel cost, the pilot license fees, the obligatory fly hours etc...;)

16. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Does this use Google maps ?

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Bing maps.

18. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Ah suppose it would being Microsoft, oops.

19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I am confident that a big portion of the fs enthusiasts have no problems with the obligatory hours and most of em spend 10fold the required amount flying in fs !

20. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    The engine is too clean sure, but I find the buildings far worse, they are so bad in FS2020, no detail, just boxes.