Intel seems to plan two gaming video cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's taking Intel a long time to get Xe going for consumers. The desktop GPUs SKUs are still not talked about, but who knows during CES some more information will be shared. Two new Xe entries howeve...

Intel seems to plan two gaming video cards

DeskStar likes this.
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    [​IMG]

Competition is always welcome!

DeskStar likes this.
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Stock for consumer too :)

Undying likes this.
  4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    At this point they don't even have to compete in the performance category if it gets even remotely close in performance at a reasonable price it will sell and at least alleviate stock levels since it will most likely be on intels own fabs and not tsmc

DeskStar, EspHack, schmidtbag and 2 others like this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It'll be pretty interesting if Intel actually gets the first MCM consumer GPU out and it works just fine. They would be a nice comeback against AMD who conquered the desktop CPU market with the technology. Looking at how things are going in the video card market where few can secure a unit and things are only going in the worse direction, thanks to the thrice accursed miners (the guy who invented crypto currency should be sitting in a jail), Intel might actually find some business even if their offering wasn't quite as good as AMD or Nvidia's. After all, any card is better than no card.

DeskStar, Airbud and Undying like this.
  6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    CES is going to be exciting this year.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    DeskStar and Undying like this.
  7. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I would not expect earth shattering life altering performance from Intel's first gaming card outing. If it can perform on a nvidia 900 series level then I would see that as a good starting off point. If it hits 1080(Ti) level I would say they are ahead of the game. I would expect it will take 3 -4 generations before they "may" be nipping at Nvidia's and AMD's heels.

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    They could easily slot into the budget gaming $150-$200 range as that’s the market that hasn’t been updated via AMD or Nvidia in some generations.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Since I'm not looking for the best gaming GPU on the market, as long as Intel offers something that can play games at 4K@60FPS without raytracing for a competitive price, I'll get it. However, if AMD's 5700(X) checks my boxes and is available when I want to get it, I'm not going to wait for Intel.
    As a Linux user, Intel has been fantastic at maintaining drivers. They even still release GPU updates all the way back to Sandy Bridge. Linux typically doesn't get much for application-specific profiles so the driver immaturity shouldn't be too much of a loss to me. If I were a Windows user, I'd be very hesitant to get this, not just because Intel still has a long way to go to catch up, but because I wouldn't be surprised if they abandon support prematurely.

Well, it's not like Intel is completely starting from scratch. They might not have had the best GPUs but they at least have some experience making them (especially if you consider all the engineers they poached).
    I'm not all that hesitant about getting a 1st gen product, because technically, Intel has already released their "first gen" as iGPUs. As far as I'm concerned, the core architecture is the same, they just have to upscale it. Much of the bugs have likely already been figured out.
    But, if you can wait a year or two, yeah, it's probably best to do so.

10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I hope for 3060 levels of performance on the 250-300 usd msrp , break a leg intel !

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Gpus will be plagued with driver issues. It will take alot of time until intel optimize for it. If you though amd drivers are bad oh, boy get ready.

12. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I am also curious to see what the TDP is going to be on it. If it can run at below 80 degrees while running 4K high/ultra while maintaining 50fps or above I would day they have a chance in the market. If they can carve out a place in the budget market and get reliable stability they will draw the attention of the mid-range gamers. It will be awhile before they can compete in the high end market. Drivers will be a make it/break it for most people. We have gotten some what complacent in demanding better drivers from Nvidia and AMD.

13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    all it needs to win is to be on stock and better than RX580, if there ever was a chance for intel GPUs, this is it

ZXRaziel likes this.
  14. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Common intel now is the perfect time to strike , GPU’s are artificially in short supply the prices are outrageous release something fast !

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Intel has traditionally been pretty good with drivers. Maybe not optimized for best 3D performance (hardly a point in doing so when the 3D engine is so weak to begin with), but they're generally pretty stable. Most problems I've faced with Intel drivers were simply hardware limitations.

16. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    If performance would be good, we would already see big Intel igpu drivers updates, in road to successful launch (im not aware of something like that.. )..
    It seems that Intel is trying to make stealth launch, because product is not good.

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Like i said many times before, PC gaming desperately needs 200$ GPUs with at least 5600XT performance. But biggest problem i see now are the drivers , there are far from being stable.

undermined likes this.
  18. Slammy

Slammy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7800GTX
    I never had my hopes about Intel ever having a decent gaming card. They hired that blowhard Raja Koduri who for YEARS promised a "Nvidia Killer" and well, never got close. I was shocked Intel bothered to hire that guy

19. undermined

undermined Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 strix
    IMHO all Intel has to bring is a competitive GPU and Good Drivers to compete.

AMD is still hobbled by a stigma of bad drivers, Intel has had Horrible drivers in the past for its iGPU products.

If Intel wants to be viable , it has to offer solid hardware and a big step up in GPU drivers to compete.

I like Nvidia mainly because their product worked more reliable for me for years and AMD didn't normally have a good alternative offering.

If Intel can launch something decent and iterate for a few generations I'd gladly move to them but I'm hopeful the can get off the ground at least with a viable gaming gpu to start and after they come out as a third player for a gaming GPU.