10900k + RTX 3080 = 260w ish idle power consumption?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by W@w@Y, Jan 6, 2021.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Hi All, Just wondering if ±260W idle power consumption is normal?
    Im not sure there is a setting somewhere I'm missing like power states in the motherboard or what not

my specs are as below

10900k (stock settings XMP1, mobo setttings is limits enabled)
    Asus Strix z490-E
    Zotac 3080 Trinity OC (undervolted to 850mv/1860Mhz)
    4xGb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz
    Corsair h115i (old version) with ML140 fans (non-RGB)
    1x512Gb Samsung 960Evo nvme
    1x512Gb Samsung 860Evo Sata
    1x250Gb Samsung 850Evo Sata
    1x128Gb CrucialM4 Sata
    1x 2Tb Toshiba HDD
    Additional 3x 120mm Corsair ML120 non RGB case fans
    Corsair RM850 PSU
    Case is Phantek Evolv X with RGB

measurement was taken using my watt meter. I dont think the watt meter is faulty as well since
    i checked the watt meter on my monitor and it reports the correct power draw (60W for my Alienware AW3418DW)

That said, I remember my 7820x OC@4.5Ghz + Strix 1080Ti consumed 180w at idle then

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    you sure this is the actual pc consuming this much ?
    the pc itself should be ~70w in idle no matter if it's an i5 with a 2060 or an i9 with a 3090

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    yeah, taken from my watt meter (power cord from the PSU to watt meter)

4. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    It seems the 1080Ti is not downclocking and sticking to 1860Mhz
    upload_2021-1-6_16-23-38.png

Attached Files:

5. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    ok so im down to 135W idle but then I lost my undervolt :oops:

6. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    found this in driver notes

7. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    The note above about GPU power consumption increasing is a likely culprit but just in-case it is not:
    High or variable refresh rate monitors will require the memory on the GPU to run faster and will interfere with desktop low-power states. You ARE asking more from it after-all.
    Limit desktop to 60fps if possible - see if that helps things at all. There was an issue a few years back where there was an issue to the same effect with AMD Radeon cards, so it's not unheard of.
    Something really 'stupid' sounding but I didn't see it mentioned here, what power plan are you using? If you're in Windows power plan settings, and you use high performance, the system won't down-clock all the way sometimes. Choose balanced and see if that has an effect, if you don't have it on that already.
    *Don't take the next part as condescending, in any way shape or form.
    Other than that, if you really wanted power sipping the AMD 3700x would have a been a little better of a choice, if only because it's easier to cool. It is however your money and your computer, so whatever works - and it should still run on less power than it does.

Consider removing & reinstalling video and chipset drivers if you haven't done that yet, and DO try a video driver that's a couple versions different from yours but still works with your video board (on the odd chance that there's a recent bug introduction).
    Sometimes turning off the monitor can quiet the card down. Obviously this doesn't work well while using it, but if you can set it to flip off after 45 minutes you might be alright. Beware this may cause an issue if you watch movies or netflix etc regularly you might want to set it longer. Or you could get in the habit of turning off the screen when you walk away for a bit (or hit Windows key + L to lock screen which will cause the screen to shut off quicker during idle when it's on the login prompt).

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    it was the undervolt in afterburner where I pressed L to lock the frequency, so it would always be in the 1860mhz (clock limit I set) even on idle.
    Just re-doing the undervolt but not pressing L fixed it =)