AMD surpassed Intels market share in desktop processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    How many general PC users use passmark? Or even know what it is for that matter

nizzen likes this.
  2. Excalibur1814

Excalibur1814 Active Member

GPU:
    1660ti
    Intel really annoyed me, a few years back, when I realised that I need a special 'key' component for PCIE bifurcation with regards to raiding M.2 drives. That took the Michael. It was also a complete pain in the rear to find the correct licence/part.

Then there's the limited pcie lanes. The last AMD machine I purchased was a long, LONG time ago in the P4 days (I think). Tempted again. Very tempted.

Anyway... all Intel has to do is release one line of performing processors and it'll return to normal. Just like that.

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Listening to the comments of the delusional Intel fans here is quite amusing...;) First AMD conquers Intel desktops--now they are in the process of conquering the server market--Intel has nothing to compare with EPYC, but that market takes longer to penetrate, and last but not least AMD has a host of surprises up its sleeve for mobile, in 2021. The same people were not that long ago saying there was "no way" AMD could beat Intel on the desktop. Considering that AMD's real desktop push is only 18 months old with the shipping of Zen 2, the desktop market was overwhelmed by AMD in incredibly short order. It will be interesting to see how long it will take Intel to catch AMD--a target an order of magnitude more difficult than was Athlon/A64/Opteron, because this time AMD is presenting Intel with a constantly moving target. I have to say that long-term prognosis for Intel does not look good. Intel is unused to strong competition, and man, does it ever show.

tunejunky and JAMVA like this.
  4. Great White Shark

Great White Shark Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Jetstream
    Great! Now all we need is Nvidia to get trampled on!!!

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Multicore performance of their 11th gen desktop i9 is miles behind their 10th gen i9, so yeah screw intel, not surprised.
    *i was in the market for 11th gen i9 but 8 core intel really?

Undying likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Their flagship i9 milticore performance will be midrange ryzen 7 performance. Thats a silly though. :D

tunejunky and DannyD like this.
  7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Really happy for AMD, and PC building in general, it's well deserved.
    Never thought i would ever build a computer with an AMD CPU but here i am. Their latest CPU are just fantastic and hope they'll keep their momentum going.

JAMVA likes this.
  8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    So all good then with your new setup?
    gonna use the guru3d ram?

XenthorX likes this.
  9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    All extremely good ^^ @DannyD of course i will!

DannyD likes this.
  10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    People should take a moment and consider why AMD and Intel have spent so much time and money in the past decades maintaining x86 ISA compatibility with their CPUs even though current "x86" CPUs in 2021 don't even resemble the x86 ISA CPUs of yore in the slightest--they are all RISC/CISC hybrid CPUs today. The reason is a very simple one--the global markets overwhelmingly have signaled that strong backwards compatibility with software and hardware, as well as the best multithreaded performance money can buy, is what motivates ~95% of the global markets to buy CPUs. Designing low-power CPUs that have to be compatible with *nothing* is an order of magnitude simpler and easier task than the designing the CPUs AMD is currently selling like hotcakes today. Single-threaded benchmarks are all well and good, but without commensurate multithreaded performance coupled with hardware & software compatibility with existing global hardware and software standards, it doesn't come close to being enough. It isn't just raw performance that sells CPUs today, and it's especially not just single-threaded benchmark performance that sells them, it's a combination of multithreaded performance plus strong backwards compatibility that powers the global CPU marketplace. Utility, as well as performance, is the name of the game.

AMD could--and I'm sure Intel could, as well, design really, really fast CPUs compatible with nothing--forcing the use of software emulators--like M1--they could do it next week...;) But to what purpose? Few would buy them, imo. Ask Intel how well IA64--Itanium--worked out for them...;)

tunejunky and carnivore like this.

11. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Your rig could use 64gb i'll give you that.:D

XenthorX likes this.
  12. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Maybe a few novice in the world LOL

What does Steam say?

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/

PS: I don't care about color or name, so what people choose of hardware, I don't care ;)

I'm now running 5900x and 10900k for different tasks.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Of everyone who buys a computer, is there a significant difference in how many Intel users run passmark vs AMD users? It might be slightly favorable of AMD, since typically only enthusiasts run benchmarks, and enthusiasts make up a greater percentage of AMD's sales than Intel's. But, when looking at this graph, there appears to be a pretty strong correlation:
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/735904/worldwide-x86-intel-amd-market-share/
    It only goes back to 2012 and it includes all sales (including servers and laptops) but the data points are very similar.

So yeah, if AMD hasn't actually passed Intel in sales, the correlation suggests they're going to very soon.

14. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Steam numbers show completely different split (this is by no means absolute, but it's more more real world data than some biased data taken form benchmark for enthusiasts).

[​IMG]

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    only slightly? this is your best guess?

I can totally see AMD user, on average and relative to Intel user, running his benchmarks like crazy - that's why he switched to AMD in the 1st place - he saw the benchmarks didnt he
    while, relatively(!) speaking, Intel user just goes on with his usual business not even caring about benchmarks

This is just my opinion, but I doubt that the difference is only slightly favorable of AMD.

PassMark's method (of evaluating market share from benchmarking samples) getting right TRENDS - is to be expected.
    Getting right trends is far from getting right absolute % numbers.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @schmidtbag

see what I am talking about:
    black spotted snow unicorn 5600X more popular than ANY intel's CPU. really... REALLY?
    do these people do anything else besides running benchmarks :D

[​IMG]

I clearly remember people claiming that Steam charts are useless because

- I wasn't even asked to participate
    - I refused to participate

my favorite stopid would be:

- but Steam charts capture only a part of the user base

you cant make this *** up!! :D

And FELL BEHIND Intel almost as soon this News hit the headlines
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html

WOW whatta coincidence:
    Intel overtaking AMD (according to Passmark) within hours of general population becoming more aware of Passmark.
    Any explanation? Any takers? :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    only the "benchmark" people those test mean nothing to majoirty of pc.

Steam number questionable, there survey are "opt" in only so it only show the people that actual opt in. less they are ignore the opt in option now

18. Nictron

Nictron Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 3070 Dual OC
    There is definitely a shift happening. I went from 5775c to a Ryzen 5900x and my word it is a massive jump and a pleasure to use. My Intel work system is sooo sluggish!

We buy between 400-500 laptops a year and there are very few AMD enterprise options available from Dell, Lenovo, HP etc. AMD needs to work on those partnerships as Intel has them well entrenched and Dell’s roadmap currently has no AMD options defined. Productivity can benefit from AMD especially with the workloads we run.

19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Supplying the OEM market, including the vast laptop market, is far more difficult than shipping stuff to stores serving system builders. A big laptop maker orders a million CPUs of various kinds, and they need to arrive by specific dates, as stipulated by the deal. If they don't, there's a huge problem when production lines are forced to be halted. However, private system builders apparently are just fine waiting even months for their components, having no idea when they might receive them, according to AMD and Nvidia, sometimes by Intel as well.

20. Meathead01

Meathead01 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080
    This means nothing, no one opts in on Steam Survey dog crap unless they are a huge fan of technology. I got asked to optin once and that was 15 years ago. I said no!

This is funny because so many intel fans said that you should take this post with a grain of salt then you guys post the steam survey. ROFL....