LG Display Introduces World's First 48-inch Bendable Cinematic Sound OLED display

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    tunejunky likes this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    while this model is a neat gimmick, the Big Picture for gamers is that apparently they've eliminated burn-in... which should trickle down to the 27- 40" monitor market. that would be essentially in the same price range as the ROG Swift or Acer Predator

3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    you can't eliminate burn-in. It's inherent to the technology. You can mitigate it greatly, and modern OLED TVs do this with pixel shifting, logo dimming etc, also from a consumer point of view you can help minimising the risk of burn in by varying your content and not having "brightness" on full blast etc. But you can't fully eliminate it. OLED pixels will diminish with time, you can't stop this from happening.

4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    let me be more precise, the mitigation has proceeded to the extent that its not a worry.
    i have many decades in consumer electronics manufacturing, particularly large format display
    and i have an OLED tv (that i would never game on) gaming is still another level of difficulty re: burn-in particularly RTS

5. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Sub 40 inch OLED tv's and 27-32" OLED monitors that don't flex at all is what I'm excited by.

HonoredShadow likes this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    That's what I said. And I'm there with you, I would still be worried about burn-in if I gamed on an OLED monitor, most games have annoying UI elements that would eventually lead to burn in.

tunejunky and theoneofgod like this.
  7. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    OLED is trash. QLED is superior. I got my first green pixels burned because I watch too much soccer every weekend. It couldn't handle so much green those leds. Pathetic. Only a year of smooth operation with moderate usage.

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    He was being a tad pedantic. I personally am looking forward to mini-led backlit monitors. Its a very nice trade off of features for a monitor.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    QNED is better than QLED

10. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I won't argue here, but who cares for something that will become mainstream after 5 years?

11. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    That's a pretty neat concept. I hope they do something to counter the glare/reflections which glossy OLED screens produce though. Asus seem to produce the best anti-glare panels so far. Maybe they should colaborate.

12. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Aren't glossy screens supposed to offer superior image quality? (I don't like them either)

Or - perhaps more accurately: anti-glare coatings reduce image quality.

tunejunky and HonoredShadow like this.
  13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Gosh, every time I look at my gorgeous 55" 4K television I am seized with a compulsion to bend it...[not.]....;) "Ah, if only I could bend and warp the pretty TV! What fun!". However, I think I'll pass... Hey, maybe you could bend it in convex fashion to get that exotic, warped, fish-eye look of the old CRT TVs! Huzzah.

tunejunky and JAMVA like this.
  14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Who the hell plays games like that in a sim setup ROFL. These marketing gimmicks.

15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yes. However if you can not see the image due to glare then one could also argue in certain environments that anti-glare coatings increase image quality.

I liken it to sun glasses. If its dark outside they would impair your ability to see properly but if its a bright day at noon you may not be able to see very well without them.

16. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Sounds like a personal issue with how you used it, rather than the technology as a whole.

The micro-second response time, near-perfect viewing angles, and ability for infinite contrast on OLED panels says otherwise.
    Only microLED can rival it at this point.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    You realize you're talking to a freaking nerd, IT professional, which concludes that I know how to properly use hardware within its limits and let circuits rest right? You cannot convince me. I ain't buying OLED ever again. My LCDs, LEDs, QLEDs are alive and kicking, despite having one or two dead pixels, they aren't multiplying like OLED issues we hear on the net. When I bought OLED I thought me as an educated individual I could slow down the inevitable. I failed. LG failed. Like Plasmas failed. Not every new tech is capable to live long enough to satisfy all customers it seems. End of story.

18. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I'm currently using a 55" LG Nanocell as my PC monitor and it has an anti-glare screen. I also bought a 48" CX back in May 2020 but returned it to the store because it had a faulty eARC socket. For the week that i had the CX, I compared the color vibrancy to the Nanocell and honestly, it was pretty much the same. The only thing that OLED won at was black levels and contrast and the fact that there was no halo effect around white text on a black background. But what the CX lost hard at was preventing reflections and glare.

But to answer your question - no, anti-glare coatings do not reduce image quality. Crappy pixel density and chroma sub-sampling would though.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This is amazing. It will actually solve all flat vs curved display arguments.

Valken, tunejunky and Airbud like this.
  20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If the technology can be shrunk, something like this for handheld consoles and telephones would be pretty interesting.