HELP: Power options for easier control on desktop?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by CPC_RedDawn, Dec 26, 2020.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @CPC_RedDawn

Here is power plan trace app
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/qi2pmt4cukvcy3i/PowerPlanTrace.zip/file

Launch, switch to "Trace" tab, click the "Capture the trace" button, go to power settings and move slider to any position and see whether some events are captured (repeat for all positions of slider).
    This version of trace app is a preliminary one, I have to add tracing for individual power plan settings to see whether power slider changes individual settings. Current version can capture global changes like:
    - current power plan changing;
    - power plan personality changing;
    - entering and leaving sleep state;
    - closing and opening the lid;
    - powering monitor off and on;
    - changing the source of power (AC or DC).

It can be that the power slider changes namely the personality of the current power plan (with or without changing of individual power plan settings).

Try it, and I will continue to add tracing...

PS I am at home now, and my home rig has no power slider at all, so I can`t test my assumptions...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  3. jcollake

jcollake Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    Nice work mbk1969!

Here's the output after going through the power slider tiers on a Surface Book 2, from best battery to best performance: https://imgur.com/vDajcos

Device details:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name XXXXXXXXXXXX
    System Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Model Surface Book 2
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU Surface_Book_1793
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 2112 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    If you use the old Control Panel the Power Plans can still be edited. I still use High Performance but just set my Minimum Processor State to 5% so it still clocks down

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Nice work testing this!
    So some settings are changed (under surface (pun attempt)).

I should add a table with all power settings values (on the 'Status' tab) captured at the start of the app - this will help to estimate the changes in the trace.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Here are my results.

STARTING POSITION OF SLIDER = "BALANCED"

MOVING TO "BEST ENGERY SAVINGS"

ENERGY.png

MOVING SLIDER FROM "BEST ENERGY SAVINGS" TO "BALANCED"

BALANCED.png

MOVING SLIDER FROM "BALANCED" TO "BEST PERFORMANCE"

BEST PERFORMANCE.png

Best engery savings = 3.3GHz boosts still to around 4.95GHz
    Balanced = 3.6GHz boosts to around 4.95GHz
    Best performance = 3.65GHz boosts to around 4.95GHz but seems to boost faster (slightly faster).

Using the default Windows Power Saver plan the CPU will downclock to 1.72GHz and boosts to 3.3GHz during a virus scan (used to test boosts) and does boost to 4.9GHz but takes a lot longer to boost, All core load is 4.25GHz using CBR20 with this power plan. Basically with this plan the CPU clocks basically stick to 1.72GHz unless a really heavy load is applied and even then it takes its time boosting. Other plans like the Balanced one tested above will boost very very quickly and for much smaller loads too.

This is all with default bios settings apart from XMP 3600MHz enabled.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    We see that events are captured but any setting has the same value across all events. I should test some new idea, will do that later...

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @CPC_RedDawn

I have rechecked and retested trace tool and I can confirm that it shows correct information.
    I guess changing individual power settings is not whole picture of what is done by the power slider.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    yea going from what the tool reads its not changing anything but I can literally see clockspeeds, voltages, and temps dropping. Something must be going on under the hood so to speak. thanks for trying to help though that program is quite interesting.

11. jcollake

jcollake Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    Here it is: https://imgur.com/a/vBbNMPV (Suggestion: Allow select all, copy to clipboard from the listview)

As I understand it, the "Surface Overlay" is the OEM defined PPM (processor power management) changes to the Balanced power profile for each slider tier (or personality), as described here.

These settings are defined by an XML file. Once imported during OS provisioning, I would imagine they are also stored in the registry, and somehow accessible by power subsystem APIs (whether documented or not). Also, powercfg.exe /qh should list the subgroup (I think). This may be a better approach to enumerating exact changes.

I think what we see is probably the extent of it. The particular PPM adjustments are % based, then the chipset drivers handle exactly what happens at a given % setting.

These lite power profiles make less sense on desktops and servers because they seem concentrated on adjusting the ratio between battery life and performance.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    mbk1969 likes this.
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  13. asryan

asryan Member

GPU:
    Asus strix 3090
    Hi, I I'm trying some PBO settings without CTR right now, per ccx 47/46 @ 1.25; curve -10/-20/30 with the dark hero switch

Seems all good but temps are kinda higher than i like to on idle, around 50c.

I've tried a power plan sz ryzen balanced v4 which helps me getting way lower temps on idle and browsing, it went down to 35 to 38c, is it safe to use that?

it requieres tu use those settings : - Global C-state Control = On/Enabled - Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle - CPPC = On/Enabled - CPPC Preferred Cores = On/Enabled - PPC Adjustment = PState 0

I've tried to swtich from this plan to the normal windows balanced and the temp difference is about 10c !