Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by rflair, Dec 18, 2020.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So I have one more mission to go and I've finished my first and unless there are big big changes in future updates, most likely only run through.

My final thoughts on the game are, well it all feels half baked.

The look and feel of the city is stunning at first, it feels grimy, gritty and like a lived in city but then you start to dig a little deeper and it turns out that it's all just a shallow facade. The actors walk on to the bit of stage you are looking at and once you stop looking everything comes to a stand still. GTA5 suffers from this. Follow an NPC and eventually it turns out all they do is walk round and round in ap pre set pattern and some how Cyberpunk is significantly worse with NPCs just popping in to existence before doing 50m back and forths, I mean open world games have had NPCs doing proper day / night job cycles that at least feel like a life since as far back as Morrowind but in Cyberpunk the NPCs are just there to act as scenery and nothing more. Nothing more highlights this than an area that I revisited towards the end of the game. A bar that you have to infiltrate, steal something or rather from it and then exit. I happened upon this location again and at first it seemed like an opportunistic find where something interesting and unplanned would happen but nope no changes just the same bar with the non hostile NPCs doing their thing with the rest of the interior exactly the same as it was before I killed all the bad guys.

Even things like encounters with the cops are painfully underwhelming, brought about by the fact that cops literally pop in to existence in front of you and can be defeated by simply running away. GTA manages to deliver fun random encounters brought about by player induced chaos but trying that approach in Cyberpunk just falls flat and only proves how flat and dead the overall world is

This highlights the other issue with the game, it suffers badly from the Ubisoft issue of jam packing the world with stuff that looks like it is interesting and engaging, pop up encounters that you just happen to happen upon but the reality is the 'random' events very rapidly become boring as there are only around 3 to 4 variants of these with little if any real twist. They serve one purpose and only one purpose and that's to assist in levelling your character, gaining cash and supplying you with new equipment and weapons.

This in turn leads to yet another issue with the game. The combat is functional and engaging enough but suffers real issues with pacing and structure. In the early game the bad guys and encounters are usually paced and matched to the characters level and abilities but get to the open world and encounter overlevelled bad guys and you pretty much have no chance, you have really one option and that's to use the cheese gun, the gun that lets you shoot through walls. The issue is that the character skill set and your ability to use them to over come problems feels awfully limited. The two basic encounter options are stealth or combat but they feel horribly linear and how you can apply them. In simple terms Deus Ex did this gameplay style in a similar game play look and feel and it did it so much better. I actually felt like I had a number of geniune choices on how I approached enemy encounters I could mix it in later levels and choose how I wanted to engage them enemy. In Cyberpunk as you start to outstrip the NPCs in terms of level and ability encounters come down to slow and very linear stealth that serves no real purpose or benefit or just wade in full force and flatten the bad guys with little if any real challenge. I am by no means overpowered level 31 with an even spread of skills and a mix of weapons and armour that for the most part I just upgraded.

The additional problem is that the game feels like it was meant to have a much deeper RPG element to the upgrade and enemy encounter sets but at no point in my entire play through have I scanned a bad guy to find it's weakness and then felt I needed to swap my weapon or it's attached mod out to assist in beating them. The crafting / upgrade system feels like it is a hacked down shallower version of that used in the Witcher 3, but unlike the Witcher 3 where potions, mods and attachments could make or break an encounter in Cyberpunk you can just ignore the entire set up. I didn't use a single, edible item in my entire play through. The entire weapon and clothing set just feels limited and my big concern is that a player could entirely complete the game using nothing but upgrades applied to a base entry handgun and even worse I suspect they could do it without ever needing to touch or do a thing with the cyberware part of the character inventory and even bigger concer are two additional factors, 1). That the option you select at the start of the game has little if any bearing on the overall progress of the game and it's outcome beyond giving the player a few additional dialogue choices and 2). That the overall out come of the game is going to be chosen by the dialogue options the player delivers in the set up to the final mission more than any of the choices or actions the player took through out the game.

Finally this brings us to the story. It suffers from the same issue that a lot of these open world games do. A big all encompassing over arcing story that on the surface appears to be a time limited pressing problem that can be happily ignored to allow the player to spend hours doing a sh*t load of nonsense work. The primary story between V and Keanu Reeves is vaguely intresting enough to hold attention but it is delivered in such a hap hazard and stuttered delivery that it becomes more of distraction than an engaging 'must see what happens next' dialogue. It also touches on pretty much all the typical subject matters that other media set in similar landscapes such as GITS and Deus Ex just did a hell of a lot better. I think the story suffers horribly from it being attached to an open world and that open world having so much distracting nonsense going on it.

Geralt in the Witcher 3 was first and for most a Witcher which meant when he entered a town and heard of rumours about monsters and creatures roaming around it was logical that he would help out, yes his big overarcing objective was to find Cyrila but I could logically see why he would take detours to do other things, on top of that a lot of that games missions delivery is given to you by people he is logically attached too. Individuals he knows and as such would be compelled to assist.. V is just a merc who has literally zero attachment to anyone who gives them jobs other than the guy in the prologue, the side jobs that V does server no purpose to the main story and are delivered by people V has no attachment or commitment too. The early delivery of handlers revolves around the initial events of the Arasaka tower incident and trying to find a resolution but these rapidly lead to even more less logically attached jobs and tasks and before you know it you're taking jobs hunting down Cyberpsychos for a former journo which literally serve no purpose for the person you are or the overall story. The biggest concern though is if the fat was cut away I suspect that the main story combined with the rather shallow combat would mean the game would be painfully short

The final issue with the game is the bugs, I didn;t suffer any ground breaking bugs but I certainly suffered from more than I have in any other game and the nature of them was purely random. Cars that I could drive backwards but not forwards, not being able to switch views in car, my character walking left when my controller disconnecting, persistent pops, low health that never recovers, hostile indicators that never disappear, phone calls that never end. Like I said nothing ground breaking and all of them sorted with a quick reload but when they are attached to a game that is the facade of an amazing looking game covering what is really a very shallow game it just makes things worse.

To sum up the game

Enjoyably shallow, play it once and never need to play it again.

2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    they got stuff barely working for sure.

i not so black pilled on them not fixing it like some though.

there is a bare bones sandbox here with mod tools nm the game they marketed, which might arrive via updates in some form.

but the mechanics out of witcher series are lacking even bare bones basic npc ai. and witcher 1 npc very much had live and cycles of behavior. cops got the memory of goldfish nm if you shoot the cameras. headlights sometimes work? vision modes? why not let us craft everything? or transmog, probbly a hack or mod, at some point.

look at the map you got apartments all over but they various "friends" houses, seems they intended something there. no cyberpunk gwent game or any side games mini games? so many steps back.

ramthegamer likes this.
  3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Thx for this review

4. Lelumpolelum73

Lelumpolelum73 New Member

GPU:
    5600XT
    KissSh0t likes this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Nice one - im glad i did it right on my own on first attempt. 6 body, 7 intelligence, 20 reflexes, 18 technical ability, 20 cool.

Stealth / headshot / crit damage build ^^

cerebus23 and Passus like this.
  6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Way to go... that was exactly what I was aiming for

ATM im on: 6 Body, 6 Int, 6 Tech, 12 Reflex, 20 Cool
    Now I have to switch. Maybe Mantis Blade + Body

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    You can do mantis blade with just 6 body - just need +30% hp perk, and to stack armor mods in cloths. Crit % and dmg mods doesn't stack anyways (on cloths, they do on guns), but armor mods do :)

Noisiv likes this.
  8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Though not game breaking or prioritized, I hope they drastically improve "distant cars". Such a horrible thing visually which works so bad.

Apparently we could be expecting patch 1.07 next Friday (8th Jan) but that has probably been mentioned already.

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I think its ok using Sprites for distant cars - would be even more cpu heavy than it already is otherwise. But it's the fact that the sprites depict dense traffic, and there is barely any actual cars being rendered in comparison. Also where you see sprites driving towards you, just to disapear when its supposed to transition to an actual rendered car.

10. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Just finished this game. Apart from some glitches, it was a relatively painless experience.
    My conclusion is that the game is fine. I never believe the hype, I just hoped for a somewhat Deus Ex-like game in an open world and I got just that. The side content is fine, the combat is fine, the hacking is fine, the first impression is great and the story is good enough, though very short.
    If you don't spend your time getting all the small sidemissions on the map, but just focus on the larger sidemissions and main content, the game is over in a heartbeat.
    Compared to the Witcher 3, this game is lacking content and I didn't expect that, so that's unfortunate. On the positive side, I still enjoyed the game at the end, in contrast to AC: valhalla, which lost it's flavour long before the end :p
    I'll probably replay it when I get a raytracing GPU when they are available through normal means (probably in about 2 years or so).

rflair, cerebus23 and jbscotchman like this.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    SSR cripples performance esp at the psycho setting. From medium to ultra not *as much* of an impact. Try on medium and you may be surprised.

12. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Psycho most likely enables planar reflections (rendering everything in scene twice if flat reflective surface is in view), thus the crippling performance.
    But technically planar reflections aren't screenspace so i dunno why they threw that in as highest setting for SSR.

13. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Bah!

Last mission is bugged for me

I need to talk to a guy but no prompt comes up also had gigs unable to finish as items didnt appear or no prompts

the mission "killing in the name" has you hacking a router but nothing pops up in the right window where you would see the required hex's

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That's the problem I meant. In the city it's not a problem but it's more in the outskirts that you constantly see this.

Dragam1337 and INSTG8R like this.
  15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Yeah I’d only read the complaints but didn’t actually see it until you were out in the desert then it was super obvious.

Netherwind, Dragam1337 and Passus like this.

16. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    About a week old video, but not sure if you have seen (or care about it)

Speedrunning to bone in Cyberpunk 2077 (SPEEDRUN EXPLAINED)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    LIke I mentioned earlier, reloading a save game gave me the prompt for the router.
    As for the not pickup-able quest items I only had one I couldn’t pick up and complete, it was on the last mission, “to pick up a pistol”. Other than that a lot of junk times, etc you can’t pickup throughout exploring the world.

18. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Well, that's subjective. I get 40-45fps pretty much all the time and its enjoyable. Also playing with mouse and keyboard.
    DLSS Performance at 4K with everything else maxed (SSR low, but i think it gets disabled once you enable RTX). RTX on (Ultra Lighting).

Gandul likes this.
  19. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Here's a very good overall IQ improvement I found on Nexus mods for cards over 8gb and in 4k. It's like I'm in a new game with the better visuals. If anyone can verify if the graphics looks better with this. Maybe try it in 1440 res too. I'm using 4k There's no program or script to install, it's just adding a ini file.

Create a ini text file with any prefix name you want like GraphicsBoost.ini under "Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc"
    Then add the following in the file:

[Streaming]
    EditorThrottledMaxNodesPerFrame = 1000

The guy who posted it said you need over an 8gb video card and it's designed to work best with 4k. And also in the vanilla version the setting is at 300 and the setting allows more nodes to be changed per frame before the game engine chokes. He further explained the nodes are the points of convergence of the polygons displayed in a frame and that it acts on multiple types of polygon nodes.

I assume that last part means the overall IQ is improved. I need to add that I'm using a reshade that removes blur or somehow increases clarity. But the ini file has improved it anyway.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  20. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060