OC Rx 5700 Reset Voltage profile

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by denroth, Dec 26, 2020.

1. denroth

denroth Guest

GPU:
    Red Dragon Rx 5700
    Hello
    I have a problem with radeon adrenalin when overclocking my red dragon rx 5700

the settings I have set are these

Core: 2000mhz
    mem: 1850mhz
    PL: + 20%
    voltage: 1.071mv

as some of you know amd has limited overclocking on the 5700 (max 1850 on core and max 1860 on mem), so I used the "morepowrtool" software which is less invasive than a bios flash.

the problem is that every time I turn the pc off and on again the voltage resets and goes to 1.200mV for some strange reason that I cannot understand.

can anyone help me solve the problem?

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    It is a issue with the drivers

for most people it just resets to stock everytime

Afterburner now works well with overclcoking and the fan control so just use that

3. denroth

denroth Guest

GPU:
    Red Dragon Rx 5700
    i tried to install msi afterburner (the latest beta version currently available) but it seems to go into conflict with adrenalin software and the fan control doesn't work(with MA)

i tried to use both
    MA for voltage and frequency control and radeon software for fan control, but doing so the fans go crazy

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    The thing is many people got on to this undervolting their GPU mindset, I was one of them, if you test your undervolted GPU with OCCT there is a great chance it is spitting out hundreds of errors, your games may run fine but one day you may have that odd game that crashes or has strange in game anomalies and not realize it's your undervolted GPU.

5. denroth

denroth Guest

GPU:
    Red Dragon Rx 5700
    I am not a beginner :p
    I did an undervolt + overclock of the frequencies.

my GPU (red dragon rx 5700) had a very variable voltage (Auto), even under full load (under benchmark) around 1160 / 1200mV which is a huge voltage for 1750mhz / 1850mhz ..

so I reduced the voltage to 1100mV and I'm stable (no error or freeze) with 2000mhz on the core and 1850mhz on the memories ..
    the problem is that every time I turn off the pc I am forced to reload the saved profile every time because it is brought back to 1200mV

i tried with MsiA. but the fans do not respond to its changes (for example if I put a speed at 50% the fans remain stationary at 0rpm)
    and I can't find a compromise that allows me to have the parameters I have set and at the same time make a custom fan curve

6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    you need to reset radeon software so the performance tuning is locked again so its disabled and do everything from afterburner

btw my stock voltage for 1750 is 1.086

it does 1975 at 1.100

I could get more but my card only has 1x 8pin power instead of the 2 on other cards

7. denroth

denroth Guest

GPU:
    Red Dragon Rx 5700
    i have already tried, but BUT it still doesn't get fan speeds :(

8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Reinstall the drivers using ddu then

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'd go back to a older driver see how that behaves, 19.12.1 so pre-Adrenaline 2020 first just to rule out a driver and software issue here then up to something like 20.5.1 see if it holds and until you encounter driver problems if that's what it is.
    Also check in the power configuration options for the OS that fast startup is disabled it conflicts with Wattman although this is a all or nothing issue where it flat out behaves as a GPU crash and reset everything to safe/default values.

For my own uses with Wattman while not always needed on each reboot I would load the Wattman XML profile in just to make sure the settings took because the program has it's issues, I would imagine More Power Tool being linked to this soft mod registry data loading similar overrides might encounter similar problems.

Sometimes the fan settings didn't quite take sometimes the voltage used defaults regardless of settings here other times it ignored GPU clock state changes it's kinda prone to issues but the last few drivers felt like they worked pretty well I didn't use anything much though before I swapped to the 6800 now.

Curves and all but trying to hit 1950 Mhz GPU clock speed so 1900 effective at 1.1v giving a bit of a margin for issues though 1.050v might have worked.
    +20% wattage for the fun of it though 10% is enough to reliably hit 1900 speeds. (Default was limiting speeds to 1800 - 1850 so not the best binned GPU die here.)
    Memory left alone although enabled even if it was defaulted and for the fan speed keeping a higher speed and lower resulting temperature even if it's a little bit noisier. :D

EDIT: As to Afterburner if AMD stopped tinkering or changing up the Overdrive and Powerplay data for various drivers and GPU generations that's probably help out compatibility immensely and retain full functionality with third party tools.

Not sure how things are at the moment 4.6.3b4 and Rivatuner 7.3.0b9 I think?
    Ampere / NVIDIA should be supported.
    Navi20 / AMD is pending I believe.

Assuming the 20.11.x or newer drivers didn't break anything hopefully the latest stable or if required latest beta of Afterburner retains support for Navi10 still.

Think the fan settings can be applied forcibly but there's quirks with Wattman here what's available when it's on auto versus manual and taking effect mostly only under active 3D GPU workloads so not idle or movie playback and such states.

Also something that worked until 19.12.2 / Adrenaline 2020 and the major changes here.

Speaking of that you'd really want a newer driver after testing what works on a older set.
    April and May 2020 drivers started sorting out several problems with Navi10 and the Adrenaline 2020 drivers though this got started in the late January and February driver updates too.

Newer is better even with some quirks the stability and other fixes and compatibility and all the other updates and improvements are kinda really useful.

Regressions for Vega and Polaris and the Radeon VII are going a bit back and forth though but for Navi10 these updates are really really important.
    (Course I hit all the problems initially so I really don't like the early drivers for this card as a result. :D )

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  10. denroth

denroth Guest

GPU:
    Red Dragon Rx 5700
    maaaan now workkkkkkkk thanksss <3 <3

new stable settings:

Voltage 1.075mV
    PL: +20%
    Core: 2000mhz
    mem: 1850mhz

obviously I will have to do further tests, but for the moment there are no errors :D
    Immagin1e.png
    max temp: 59°C temp jun: 80°

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Passus and JonasBeckman like this.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Glad you fixed it mate

12. joaoameixa88

joaoameixa88 Active Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Just a question, i have a 5700 XT and im trying to make afterburner work, i disabled the AMD Software (overclocking) and im trying to use only afterburner, everything is working fine except FANS, i cant set a custom curve fan, if i set it my screen do not stop flickering all the time.

If i set it manual it work perfect.

There's only way to fix it?

Thanks

13. denroth

denroth Guest

GPU:
    Red Dragon Rx 5700
    it's more or less the same problem I was having (except flicker).
    I solved it thanks to the advice of Passus ..
    to make Msi afterburner work correctly uninstall the Chipset drivers and amd software (from the windows control panel), then start the windows safe mode and use DDU

done this reinstall the latest chipset and gpu drivers.
    REMEMBER: once you have installed the Radeon software you must not accept the warnings that appear when you access the "Performance"> "optimization" page (you simply must never click "Accept")

install Msi afterburner (the latest beta version) and everything should work fine
    Immagine.png

as for overclocking, I had to use "More Power Tool" software to unlock higher frequencies (they are locked at 1850mhz on the Rx 5700), but it seems that MSi Afterburner can also do it via settings (but I don't know if it works with Rx 5700 series cards)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  14. joaoameixa88

GPU:
    5700XT
    Ye, i did that.

DDU, installed drivers, didnt open the Overclock tab.

Everything is working, fan is working in AUTO without flickering.

The problem is when i set 1 CUSTOM FAN edited by me.

Its just cause i dont like that "auto" from AMD, card with 70ºC and default fan speed is like 30%.

15. denroth

denroth Guest

GPU:
    Red Dragon Rx 5700
    Msi Afterburner's "Auto" option does not indicate the fans are using AMD's setting. "auto" mode indicates that the fans use a dynamic curve, if you disable the "auto" key you switch to "static" mode.
    ie the card will always have the same speed.

therefore the Auto key must remain active, even if you are using a custom curve(like me)
    Immagine.png

EDIT: just make sure you don't go below 40% (fan speed) because for some weird reason the Rx 5700 bios doesn't allow you to go below 40% (by default) and if you do it with msi afterburner it could mess up the speeds or freeze the fans under load (I have done a hundred tests and if you don't go below 40% you will never have this problem)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020

16. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Which MSI AB version do you use?

17. joaoameixa88

GPU:
    5700XT
    Im using 4.6.3 Beta 2.

Problems:

1 - If i set CUSTOM FAN CURVE without overclock my Memory it works perfectly without flickering.
    2 - If i set CUSTOM FAN CURVE with more than 1750Mhz (default) cause flickering at desktop and gaming.
    3- If i dont use CUSTOM CURVE, using just MANUAL or AUTO fan speed everything is working perfect.

Jesus... i cant understand this software...

18. denroth

denroth Guest

GPU:
    Red Dragon Rx 5700
    what do you mean by flicker?
    graphic artifacts?

the fan speed does not affect the performance of the memory or the graphics card in general (obviously if we do not consider the temperature) ... check the voltage of the card (with msi afterburner)

go to settings> general
    and toggle on "unlock voltage control" and "unlock voltage monitoring"

do apply and post a screenshot of msi afterburner here

19. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Not a problem. Take it is a never asked about a version. Jesus, I cannot undersatnd those users.

20. joaoameixa88

GPU:
    5700XT
    My voltage is completly fine, im using the same values as i used at AMD Software.

1.JPG

I undervolted it to 1,075v 2000 core and 1850 Memory with 50%.

With AMD software everything works perfect and i can set a custom fan curve.

The problem with AMD Software its just that sometimes it reset all the settings for no reason (after reboots or sleeps) and i have to reload my profile.

My only problem with Afterburner is that i cant set a custom fan profile, my screen start flickering (screen just flash every 10/15 sec).

I think its some conflct with memory overclock and custom fan curve, because like i said before, when i dont overclock my memory it works.

Its really weird :/