Nvidia INF driver modding (Guide)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Apr 11, 2013.

1. ice69

ice69 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    okay i gave it another try
    with this driver
    https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/161528/en-us
    and i took a picture
    https://ibb.co/q96Pcfv
    before i made the ini edits i get error
    This nvidia graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows
    This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware
    are these normal errors?
    i use to use a standard gaming driver prior to nvidia blacklisting windows server
    in C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\451.48-quadro-winserv-2016-2019-64bit-international-whql\Display.Driver
    i edit nv_dispswi
    https://ibb.co/HxcQMS7
    i decided to take pictures encase i did anything wrong
    this is from dxdiag
    Operating System: Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release.161220-1747)
    i added
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1B06% = Section094, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B06
    to
    [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0...14310]
    [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0...16299]
    [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0]
    [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0...17134]
    then i add
    NVIDIA_DEV.1B06 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti"
    to
    [Strings]

after all of these edits both errors vanish i wasn't sure what one to add the keys to i am guessing those are os build versions and i would most likely need the oldest for server 2016 server 2016 is build 1607
    words cannot explain how frustrating it is buying a $1500.00 graphics card and nvidia turning around right after purchase of sale and blacklisting the graphics card from your computer bait and switch
    i went into settings clicked recovery disabled driver signature enforcement at boot up and during install you get one red pop up i didn't write it down likely about it not being signed or trusted i clicked yes and eventually driver says failed in nvidia window
    i also tried ddu with intel option amd option nvidia option and leadtek option in safe mode
    i currently have this driver from here installed i could not find the official version
    https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/G...cs-Vulkan-1-2-Driver-441-99-Beta-64-bit.shtml
    i think nvidia calls them game ready drivers they all work on windows server until
    https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/156778/en-us
    anything released after this game ready driver and that vulkan beta driver won't install on windows server
    information about the vulkan beta driver can be found here but nvidia doesn't provide any links for previous drivers
    https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver
    i can uninstall and reinstall these old drivers no problem without modifying them in anyway and without touching the ini file and system memory and ssd have no errors
    i tried nvidia live chat support was like talking to a bot only linking to download page for drivers without a solution this link was all nvidia provided
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

right now i honestly see no solutions besides switching over to linux and abandoning windows
    do you think it could be this bad on linux?
    on windows server i run the beta over the game ready driver because the game ready driver is vulkan 1.1 and the beta is vulkan 1.2 even though the game ready driver has a higher model number revision the insides are dilapidated and obsolete only the newest game ready drivers are vulkan 1.2 but i cannot seem to get them to install even with this ini guide

any other ideas for drivers?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Use Windows 10.

3. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    Any way to lower shared gpu memory for a rtx 2060 or disable it by modding drivers?

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    GPU shared memory is the GPU's ability to use system RAM. Good for 3D accelerated programs that don't need speed, saves VRAM. Or if you run out of VRAM. Something you're definitely gonna want with that 6GB on the 2060.

5. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    I know what shared gpu memory is . My problem is with Warzone . It alocates about 1.2 gb shared memory RAM even tho it only uses only about 3.5-4 gb of the 6 GDDR my gpu has. I wanted to force it to use more GDDR instead of RAM because i am low on ram at the moment only 8 gb.

6. 007licensed

007licensed Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    so can i make a 452.06 support the rtx 3080 with that inf modding?
    since all 30X0 drivers (456.XX) give me random idle resets, while games are rock stable.
    452.06 was my last driver before upgrading to 3080 card and was running flawless.
    so hope there is a way to test that driver on new 3080 card to proof thats a driver issue...

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It probably wont work. But it's easy enough to test it, there's no repercussions for that. The device ID and string can be copied from the newest driver (the reverse from what the guide tells you).

8. 007licensed

007licensed Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    ok, will give it a try.

9. 007licensed

007licensed Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    unfortunatelly it did't work...

i added both device ID: NVIDIA_DEV.2206 = "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080"
    and string: %NVIDIA_DEV.2206% = Section182, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_2206

but during installation, seconds after agreed to Driver Signature Enforcement installation was canceld...
    so no way to get pre 456.XX drivers working on 30X0 cards? or is there another way?

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm not aware of another way. If you passed the initial hardware check then that's all you can do. Did you try booting into Windows with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled?

11. 007licensed

007licensed Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    yes, started in "Driver Signature Enforcement disabled mode"...
    so i have to hope nvidia fix my issue with a upcomming driver

12. ayinapholion

ayinapholion Guest

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    Is it possible to edit the inf to allow for use of a 30XX card on windows 8.1?
    I know the default answer is probably gonna be "use W10", but it's not really an option here, I'm in a weird situation where I need some legacy-ish software that does not work out of the box on W10, and I need a LOT of cuda cores. I had a RTX 3090 bought without realizing they weren't officially supported on 8.1...
    What made me think it may be possible is that 30XX are supported on W7.
    I downloaded the 460.79 driver for Win8_Win7_64 and tried to install it, but got an hardware unrecognized error.
    After that I edited nv_dispi.inf to add the entry for DEV.2204 (RTX 3090) in the NTamd64.6.3 section, and now it actually installs the driver (after disabling driver signing of course), but the driver instantly crashes, and the gpu properties show this: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"...
    Note that I tested the card on a W10 machine to be sure it wasn't a hardware issue and it works perfectly with the latest drivers.
    Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a lost cause even though it works on W7?

13. derbayer36

derbayer36 Guest

GPU:
    GT 540M
    I followed your guide in order to install 456.98 on my GT 540m (DEV.0DE9.397D.17AA) but NOW? i'm getting this:

[​IMG]

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is no driver code for Fermi since 395.

15. chris5044

chris5044 Guest

GPU:
    new card 1060 gtx n
    Hey guys I really need help. I have read on many sites and forums and I am passing through the many hoops to making this work.

My situation: I am upgrading the GPU on my alienware m17 r5 laptop.

Old system: 770m GTX Nvidia
    New card: 1060 GTX Nvidia (MSM, mxm slot)

I originally had windows 7 installed, then I upgraded for free and upgraded it using the online feature to windows 10.
    I have had to switch my windows partition from mbr to gpt partition for it to boot up in the new UEFI mode for the new card. (as without doing this the machine would not boot and beep 8 times (being the connection from GPU to the screen)

In BIOS the card seems to be recognised as it states : "Nvidia GFX"

Once I start the laptop up all I see in device manager is "3D Video Controller" with a warning sign by it.
    My system cannot recognise the Video card as an NVidia 1060 GTX.

I used GPU-Z to see if it could see my card and this does not recognise it.
    I used DDU and booted into disabled driver enforcement and installed the nvidia driver and it says not compatible.

I saw a video online and a guy said to right click on the unrecognised device (in device manager) and assign another driver to this, then after that right click the device and update this device again but using windows update and then it suddenly recognises the card and completes the process.

(so I only made it halfway through that process I mentioned- ie updating the unrecognised device and then suddenly a display adapter is visble in device manager - I used the Microsoft "Virtual display". Then when I used GPU-Z tool to see what GPU I have it now shows the details of my card, but does not state its an Nvidia. When I use the tool's lookup function it takes me to tomshardware page online and recognises my card in that webpage. Though my system does not recognise it still as a 1060 GTX Nvidia :( )

NONE of this works and I am running out of options,
    Can anyone help please? :/
    Thanks in advance

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nstall-mods-nvidia-inf-mod-with-photo.813384/
    @chris5044 Looks like that guy had luck on a different laptop, also moded the inf. Maybe your issue is related BIOS? The post mentions "*USE Prema/EUROCOM v3b BIOS OR old PREMA BIOS V2*". Doesn't say why, but might be worth looking into.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r5-gtx-1070-mxm-3-1b.800137/
    This guy mentions "At the beginning, there was no video on the integrated display, but after flash it with the MSI (MSI_N17E-G2_86.04.31.00.0C_non-GSYNC) it works"
    Different GPU, but same laptop.

And just in case I'm putting you in the wrong direction, https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10982-m17x-r4-gtx-1060-upgrade/
    Slightly different laptop, this guy says BIOS mods shouldn't be required, but a 120 hz panel is. No idea if that applies to the r5.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  17. chris5044

chris5044 Guest

GPU:
    new card 1060 gtx n
    Hey Thank you for the response! I literally found a way to make this work!, then the internet went down - so I couldnt amend my message. But I'll post this here so that others can find a sollution If they have this issue.

So basically I used your advice on how to edit the inf files, or what inf file is and what I am looking for. (I am not a tech genius you see).
    With that information I translated the message in this link into nromal english.

https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/t...dy-studio-quadro/?tab=comments#comment-159682

So I disabled the enforced driver signature first, then manually extracted the original driver files (which can also be downloaded from the link above).
    Then I downloaded this guy's edited driver files and extracted them. He had edited his "inf" file in the display driver folder and saved over the file of the original that I manually extracted.

Next I then went to my device manager and looked in there for any devices that looked like it hadnt detected properly / installed correctly.
    I noticed the 3D Video controller was there and had an issue. So I right clicked hit install driver, then selected have files on computer.

A lookup box appeared and I selected "Display adapter", then in there I selected "have disk". Then I pointed the file to the display driver folder from where I saved the new inf file to (my original extracted location of the driver).

BOOM!! a massive list appeared of all available Nvidia drivers I could use!! (I made it!!) I selected my card (1060 GTX Nvidia 6GB).
    Now working and recogised as its card and also within GPU-Z.

Hope this helps - It explains more in the link I posted here also.
    Also huge thank you to Cyberdyne!! without your screenshots and info I wouldnt have made the connection and now understand a little more on driver files!

Huge thank you!
    Enjoy your laptops / PCs!!

Peace!!

fear029 likes this.
  18. HyperX620

HyperX620 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro K1100
    modded 461.40-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql to work on my quadro k1100m, installeld but i dont see noticble difference, can someone recommend me a good version that'd give performance boost?

19. mike2048

mike2048 Guest

GPU:
    p2200
    I've been attempting to install Geforce drivers on my Quadro P2200 without luck (I'm specifically interested in the ability to overclock the card to get the most gaming performance out of it, which Quadro drivers do not allow, don't care for the prosumer functions). Even after making nvdispi.inf changes for the P2200 hardware id to point to a Geforce 1060 5GB the card installs as a P2200. What am I missing (or is the question actually, is what I'm attempting even possible)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @mike2048 As the guide says, you cannot turn a GPU into another GPU by modding the INF. You were able to install the driver, which means your mod was successful. But in the end, Geforce and Quadro drivers are effectively the same, and there is no way to fool it.