Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    They've still not fixed the Of Blood And Bonds quest bug which was preventing me from progressing the main storyline - I don't think they've even listed it as a known bug, despite numerous complaints.

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    any easy way to collect those damn flying papers?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Follow them see where they stop and when they poof into the air then find the fastest path there and pick them up, there's a grace period but if you get too far from the intended path they disappear immediately instead of having that five second or so wait.
    Would be easier without the auto traversal since Eivor corrects pathfinding and slows downs especially around small obstacles and bends like the [beep] trees even if you are less likely to fly off into the entirely wrong direction because the camera was just a few degrees different from the character.

Yeah I hated doing those. :D
    They're not hard but it's tough to continue running and catching up midway through the obstacle course is a rarity plus the correcting of pathing through and over objects slows down the "chase" sequence significantly so even knowing where the flying magic tattoo paper ends up stopping it is very easy to be off by a second or two and miss it. (Once the tro-lo-lo twirling animation starts you can't grab it either.)

It's also incredibly easy to miss the sensitive context for actually picking up the thing because you got too close or the height differs a bit made me miss the thing a fair amount of times too.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So you can use nVidia sharpening in this game? Without any weird artifacts?

Lol I hate those papers :D Luckily the reward (tattoo) isn't worth the trouble.

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Do you guys know what is avg fps on 1080P max details with SAM on Intel Z490 enabled? = 150fps :D

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    And outside of the Animus white room?
    (That's the loading screen. :p )

Though I can imagine with a good CPU to avoid bottlenecks with that once you cut the resolution the game just goes "wee" with performance as many effects become a lot lighter for the GPU to handle. :D
    Should be possible to hit 70+ with a reasonable GPU and system of course dialing down shadows and clouds one notch or so for 2560x1440 maybe even higher though performance quickly falls off here.

Some zones are less vibrant or demanding as well, forest and some of the flat but still technically vegetation and flora in all it's 2D sprite glory might be a bit tougher and then there's the snow and dynamic tessellation.
    (You step and a square like cube sorta forms underneath kinda following in shape, it's less terrible than some other forms of snow deformation I suppose at least.)

Well engine and asset criticism aside it's probably mainly the shaders, shadows and the volumetric lighting that can really do a number on performance.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  8. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Yeah i see no artifacts but its to sharp for my taste in that game.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hm, something may be broken on my side. Using the 460.79 driver and even tried it on my regular monitor (instead of the TV), same problem.

10. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    I finished the game and what an ending it was! somethings are not concluded and hangs in air though. I hope DLCs fix this, or maybe they will continue Layla's saga in next game titled as Ragnarok?

11. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    There are several endings.

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well sorta but it's a lot less fragmented than the three major journeys or paths in Odyssey and the way players could go about resolving these although a better understanding of the game and the final conclusion requires wrapping most of the game up.
    Those platforming challenges don't work too well but they're done now thankfully to say something but avoid actual spoilers.

EDIT: And as a small criticism the stand-alone pledges/regions also means some of the choices don't amount to much long-term but the contained arc specific choices do at least matter somewhat better than parts of Odyssey handled this and some things can have consequences even beyond the arc episode itself which was a nice touch. :)
    Some arcs are less grand than others though so not all choices would bring larger changes and Ubisoft keeps things fairly varied even if there's some recurring themes and types of events going on with these.
    (I'd change some of the orders of these up a bit maybe but for having multiple writers it manages to connect fairly well overall.)

Not just with the one character either and their thing.

EDIT: I think the game also covers around a five year to a decade time span which is hard to track besides the prologue bit as well and the time skip here.

Had to read up a bit to get some things to click but it might also have been a bug for all I know and Ubisoft hadn't intentionally planned it out this way for at least one thing.
    (Some of it's foreshadowed or hinted at though but still easily overlooked.)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I cannot get used to the fact that you rarely get any gear and that you don't know what to upgrade or not to upgrade since all gear seems to give more or less the same stats.

14. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    and I was mentioning all of them combined.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    hasn't been an AC that spans decades since AC3 i think?

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I want an Assasins Creed game that has Dinosaurs... if they can get away with having made up magical things then I want Dinosaurs.

*bangs fist on table*

XenthorX likes this.
  17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the time period is usually more condensed which also usually works better with how fast paced the games are with the main sequences and story development other than Ezio who had almost 40 years for Assassin's Creed 2 and then another two decades or so for Brotherhood and Revelations which made some of the sequences and characters a bit hasty.
    Was worse in Assassin's Creed 3 though and the chosen time period although this is also where the game more heavily started to drift into it's own alternate history playing up characters even further.

Valhalla is based on events from a old Icelandic saga to large parts (And I would imagine the Vikings TV series to also have been a influence.) though several of the characters are thought to have existed but since the information and preserved historical details are so vague it still lets them play around a lot with this.
    Though they play around a lot with some of the characters that are known a bit more like Aelfred despite the title of "The Great" being kinda a big deal. :D
    (But that happened in the prior games too possibly even more so for some of the important historical figures and their presentation in the game as almost caricatures or cartoon villains or something.)

It's not presented very well though but the game takes place I think 860's somewhere and it ends at 878 just a bit before...well certain historical events making some of the games events a little bit questionable, something the DLC might cover but these also have time skipping already confirmed.
    I don't think there's much covered for the first one in this regard but the second one for Siege of Normandy is in the late 880's around a decade after this is all done.

EDIT: Not sure about dinosaur warriors but I wonder how a full on mythological take would be.

Celtic or old Persian or Babylonian much as ancient Japan keeps coming up as a request.
    (Well Japan and China have a lot of interesting developments over hundreds of years it doesn't have to be warring states or Sengoku period.)

Not sure how much more Proto Assassins and Ancient Orders of not Templars that Ubisoft can get away with they're kinda starting to get something of a resemblance to the start of the series at last so perhaps no more of that now. :D

Cu Chulainn the ancient. :p
    Well Ubisoft would have to age him up a fair bit, started at 4 or something and died at 13 with some variance in that mythos but there's a power fantasy of ridiculous proportions alright.

Probably a lot of interesting time periods and settings, wonder what they have planned next.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Singleton99 likes this.
  18. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Oh ancient Japan could have a vast amount of things. From Sengoku period upto the introduction of the Portuguese and even the transition of the shogonate etc. There is SO much potential there, as there is for a lot of points in history.

Fully onboard with you in that aspect.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah there's a lot interesting history and if they go with something that isn't one of the most covered periods in video games for these settings that has the potential to be really good if handled well.
    Unfortunately marketing and user interest and such might limit things but Ubisoft could be able to pull off something really memorable if given the chance and something a little bit different.

Plenty of historical details too and a lot of mystery for how some events happened so yeah I think it can work but broad appeal and popularity would be a challenge so the higher ups don't just decide to go with the usual here.

20. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    How about a western

DocStr4ngelove likes this.