Windows 10 20H2 Update Can Run Into BSOD with ChkDsk

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  3. HichamNB

HichamNB Member

GPU:
    Amd / 2gb
    I AM LITERALLY READING THIS WHILE CHECKING MY HDD FOR BAD CLUSTERS.

can i stop it ? am using power shell command chkdsk /r /f D: ???????

:'(

4. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I'm a compulsive "cleaner". Good thing I haven't manually chkdsk for some time!

5. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    If you read the article at all, it says that the problem steams from doing chkdsk on SSDs. Doing so on HDDs result in no errors.

6. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    So, is this what happens when people code at home, or did the holidays start a bit early at the Microsoft campus?

mbk1969 likes this.
  7. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I'm pretty sure that in general people code better at home than in the office. How come you feel like it's the opposite?

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Agile programming QUALITY!

9. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    The computer's that were updated could have had a corrupt system before-hand, just that the update broke the camel's back

Will try to recreate this at work today, assuming this was done before Windows actually boots as you will likely get an in-use error if you use /f while the operating system drive is booted.

Edit: after trying about 5 different ways (with different chkdsk options including /f) through a newly-imaged 19042.685 system from our MDT deployment that has an NVMe SSD, I cannot reproduce the issue.
    This was on a dell Optiplex 7070 desktop.

GSDragoon likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why?

11. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Why what?

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why are you sure that in general people code better at home than in the office?

13. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Main reason is because workers rest more. Depending on country, people usually take a couple of hours per day to go to work and back (some more, some less). Most developed countries have a limit to worked hours per year, extra hours, etc. so work from home people are better rested and less stressed. US might be an exception of 1st world country limiting working hours to healthy amounts (some of my US colleagues are working 12-16 hours a day
    , which is retarded because people are much less productive, make more mistakes, etc.) but other 1st world countries seem to get an uplift of quality of life and of productivity with the new work from home policies.

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Holy molly, dodged a bullet right there.

15. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I just ran it on all my drives, no problems. NVMe SSD, old SATA SSD and HDD running 19042.685. I suspect 3rd party software is conflicting here. Probably anti-virus or drive encryption (which I have none of).

16. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    You sir are a daredevil!

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Nothing stops you from overworking at home, especially if single. That`s just how people treat themselves.
    And if you are not single then there could be problems with "working environment".
    And you could get disconnected from team. Team can be very friendly and helpful.

I prefer to program in office. I always listen music and read books/doze while on the wat from/to work.

PS And the most of all - you have to show steel discipline to fight off distractions when working at home.

18. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    You totally disregarded the bulk of my message and wrote what you came here to say.

Gandul likes this.
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    In my first sentence I regarded what you say in the bulk of your message. You write the "rules", the "what is good", the "studies", but people frequently harm themselves even knowing all that stuff.
    You say "you rest more if you work at home", but I say "no if you do not sleep/eat/rest and just code all night (being not needed to go outside)".

PS I don`t know about 1st rate countries, but in all of my work places here in Moscow developers have no fix time schedule, they can arrive at their will and then work to sum 40 hours per week. So traffic jams and peak hours can be avoided.

20. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    What part of "most developed countries have a limit to worked hours per year, extra hours, etc." did you not understand? "Nothing stops you from overworking at home"... Yes, the law. In most developed countries it's illegal to overwork.