B550 / Ryzen 5xxx constant rhytmic stutter

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Adam Honved, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Adam Honved

Adam Honved Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Dear all,

I'm facing an issue which is very very disturbing, and I have gathered some knowledge on the topic, but I would like to have your opinion on this.

Description of the issue:
    Rhytmic stutter in Windows without any load, while watching YT videos and while gaming as well. Performance is fine (Apex Legends stable 165 FPS with cap), but games are still unplayable because of the constant stutter.
    If you move the mouse or a window around in Win or look around in a FPS game, movement is stuttering in the very same time over and over again. Not randomly, it is always the same amount of time between two stutters around 3 times per seconds.

Setup: ASUS B550-F Wifi, Ryzen 5600x, Gainward Phantom RTX 3070, Corsair Vengence 3000MHz, Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

In BIOS I have enabled PBO and set manual timings of the memory to factory default, see attached screenshot:
    mem timings.PNG .

What I did already:

- MB BIOS updated to 1401
    - VGA BIOS updated (02/12/2020)
    - Windows 10 Pro clean install, updated to 20H2
    - Latest AMD Chipset driver (2.10.13.408)
    - Latest Nvidia driver (460.89)

Still the same stuttering when I first booted up the fresh Win.

Then I reset BIOS to factory defaults and stuttering was gone.

Then I heard that it might be an issue with B550 chipsets having some issue with the backpanel USB 2.0 ports, so I have plugged mouse and keyboard to other USB slots, not the one next to the BIOS flash port - then the very same stuttering returned, even with BIOS defaults.

Then I plugged them back to the same USB ports, and now it is fine again, but I'm afraid to change anything, to apply any kind of OC or change memory timings.

One thing I'm concerned about are the memory timings, if those are correct.

What could be the root cause here?

Thanks a lot!

Adam

2. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    If the default setting work keep it there and then change one thing at a time to see what is causing the problem , or just keep it stock and have smoother system .

3. Adam Honved

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Thanks Raziel, however this doesn't solve the issue. Means that if I would plug in something to a USB port, I will get the same stutter?
    I also would like to be able to undervolt and tune my processor, and not keep everything on default, hence I have unlocked AMD processor.

One thing I forgot to mention, I also read that turning of C-states may solve this issue, but I had the same stuttering with Global C-states turned off.

4. The1

The1 Member Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080
    Hi Adam, have you checked Device Manager>USB controllers and any irregularities associated?
    Yellow highlights? USB driver updates? Which USB controller is being used?
    Reset the above?
    Just some thoughts here, I had similar issues and the only thing that worked for me was a USB update.
    Fernando (Forum - General: Storage Drivers (AHCI/RAID, NVMe and USB) (win-raid.com)) does good work regarding driver modification, etc.
    Good Luck...:)

5. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    Another ASUS? :(

6. Adam Honved

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Looks like, another colleague from another forum has B550-E, same issue.

Freeman likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    put pcie to gen 3.

8. Adam Honved

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Hi Astyanax,
    Could you please specify this? What do you mean?

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  10. Adam Honved

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Thanks for sharing! Interestingly he's also having Razer peripherals like me... Maybe has to do something with Razer drivers?!

11. Adam Honved

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    For the future generations:
    I did not managed yet to solve this issue, random stuttering sessions occuring in Windows, while playing videos or games.
    I did try all USB ports with the peripherals, no change in behaviour. Also disabled any Razer software without any success.

Currently waiting for new BIOS with new AGESA, maybe it will solve the problem.

12. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    AMD forums, occuring on many other systems.
    Have you tried different operating system? Might be a better experience overall and theres still good gaming,like Civilazation 6.

13. Adam Honved

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    One thing which may cause this issue: Gear Down Mode enabled and changing of Command Rate betwen 1T and 2T.

After setting GDM to off and CMD to 2T I have not experienced any stuttering so far.

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    This must be driver issue, not nessesary VGA/MOBO, check system logs for errors . Did you monitor system usage durring these stutters ? CPU spikes ? Power drops ?. I had something similiar with broken LAN driver (Bigfoot killer network).

15. Adam Honved

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    I did update all the drivers, especially USB drivers as suggested, but I have experienced the very same stuttering.
    Then when I changed BIOS settings to default, stuttering disappeared, but then happened again randomly.
    It has only gone away once GDM was disabled and CMD is 2T.
    I have monitored the system, but no CPU spikes whatsoever. It would be also really hard to catch, as the stuttering is happening around 3 times per second for a fraction of a second (couple of ms) only, but this can last up to extended amount of time like hours.