Ryzen 5600x running slightly slow

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by bbsmitz, Dec 11, 2020.

1. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Hey guys,

Sorry to inundate the forum with posts, but I'm getting my system up and running and had noticed a weird quirk. When I look at CPU-Z, it shows my 5600x with a 36x multiplier, and the base clock at 3.6GHz instead of the 3.7Ghz it's supposed to be at. Picture here. Sometimes the cores will throttle up, but they fall back to 3.6 as the base level. In the bios, the 'auto' option is selected for the multiplier, but it shows 37 as what is chosen instead of the 36 that CPU-Z reads. Anyone have any ideas on why the discrepancy? Googling didn't reveal anything. MB is an x570 Aorus Master. Thanks for taking a look.

Cheers,

-bbsmitz

2. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    i have this cpu also but overclock why dont u try the same??

3. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    What is your minimum CPU state set to on your windows power plan?

4. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    It was on balanced. Changing it to high performance changed the multiplier from 36 to 36.75 which is where I've seen it on other CPU-Z shots of the 5600x, so that must have been it.

Interestingly, I didn't see much difference in the CPU-Z benchmark scores for the two settings.

Thank you for your help.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    install the amd chipset driver

use ryzen balanced.

6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Zen 3 doesn't even use the Ryzen profiles you should run the regular balanced one.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Zen 3 most certainly does have tuned profiles in the newest chipset driver.

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I don't pay attention to the marketting dude, last time anyone did that people bought bulldozer processors thinking they performed as well as intels chip of the time.

Also caught him our on several lies so that doesn't help his credibility XD

He did say the chipset driver enables this though

[​IMG]

10. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I don’t really pay attention to hime either that one just stuck out because it was the thing to have with my 3700x and I thought it was weird that they didn’t do it for Zen 3 as well.

11. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
  12. shm0

shm0 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT
    Does the AMD Chipset Installer actually copy the balanced power plan and modify some settings of it?
    So if you modifed your balanced power plan and install the AMD Chipset driver aftewards, the amd ryzen balanced power plan will be screwed up?

Doesn't AMD have stated somewhere that their powerplan allows frequency switchting every 1ms? But their powerplan uses the default 15ms.

13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    My 5600X boosts 4614Mhz (all core when full stress loaded), that is good or not ?

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Seems on par with the results I'm reading.
    Impressive really it hits the speeds the 3900X and 3950X can do on low core usage boosts but this is the "lower" tier model of the 5000 series (Not bad or anything though to clear that up.) yet it retains a very impressive boost clock speed and over most of it's cores too if not all of them. :)
    (Up to around 4.8 for single core, also impressive that it remains close with the all core boost.)

EDIT: Also close to the 5 Ghz threshold the 5800X can reach up to despite the 5600X using the less quality 6/8 CCX configuration over the better quality and full 8/8 here.
    Knew AMD had done a good job with the clock speeds and boost but that's still impressive to see and read about plus it's less of a variance now and even between the various models here.
    (Stock before the boost clocks go in is something like 3.6 too I think it was for the 5600X, impressive how it clocks up like that.)

EDIT: As for the power plan that reminds me.
    Though it's probably not really anything more than some tweak or minimal changes.

Whatever motherboard vendor the newer late November chipset drivers version 2.11.26.106 comes from (So November 26th.) these come with a slightly newer 6.0.0.9 power plan package instead of 6.0.0.7
    New chipset drivers from AMD will probably be available soon with these and other updates if they're distributing newer but not full releases of this package to their business partners for motherboard drivers and all that.

Interesting too that the reliance on Balanced profile is no longer used for the 5000 series of processors too.
    And I guess that also goes for the performance one which disables core sleeping I think was the only AMD difference between the two.

For Microsoft with these power plans and further differences one is based on balanced and the other on high performance so those changes show up but for AMD's tuning over the defaults best as I've found it's just CPU's not sleeping.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  15. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    If this is with the default power limits (88W ppt) then that seems very solid to me. With my limit extended using PBO to 110 watts, I'm seeing similar numbers to you in the CPU-Z stress test, and around 4530-40 Mhz in cinebench20.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    What cooling You have because i heard it can make lot of difference. Everything is at default my system . Can't test this CPU with clock tuner because ryzen master fails to install :(

17. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Mugen 5 Rev. B. I only hit about 80-82C under load, so I don't think it's thermal throttling that's the issue.

18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Quite high. I hit 70C with bequiet shadow rock 3. Closed case. If i get ryzen master to work i will check overclocking. I can't get any decent results from BIOS

19. bbsmitz

bbsmitz Guest

GPU:
    Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
    Yes, since you're at default power limit you'll definitely see lower temps. I should maybe go back to stock and see what I end up at benching. RE: bios OC, what chipset do you have? I've had quite decent results with PBO + increasing the boost limit, but from what I understand sometimes not all features are available on all boards (Aorus Master x570 here).

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    B550 AORUS elite. Options are there just if i make any mistake i have to cmos clear ( sometimes it manages to go back normal). With ryzen master it was an easy oc. Managed to go almost 4.6ghz on my 3300X.