3080 Owner's thread!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Syranetic, Sep 17, 2020.

1. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Fun build but why not AMD Ryzen 5600 or above?

Similar to my recent build but I went team red.

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    tbh I had a 10700K / 32GB bdie / 2080 Super on custom water before this but I sold it to a friend since I wanted to go full air itx, I had all the itx components Z490i Aorus Ultra and SF750 but rather than lugging it with me when I was moving I just sold it to him since hes been really wanting a desktop just didnt have time and I wanted to rebuild from scratch.

When 5000 series was announced I really thought about 5800X if I wanted to stick to 8 cores or a real upgrade at 5900X but its not all about the numbers.

While AMD is aiming for the right direction and I may check them out in the 6000 series, for one X570 is EOL already and you may or may not get bios bugs issues along the way so overall I didn't want to hassle with that because even though Intel is on 27 lakes, they've been pretty solid for me.

Fast forward, AMD did make improvements on memory and such, what benchmarks don't show you is a fully overclocked Intel with memory tweaks (not xmp) getting a much higher boost in fps than where AMD caps out. I am somewhat big in memory overlocking so really it comes down to 5900X's extra 2 core/4 thread vs. Intel's high performance/ocing/tweaks in which I don't really need the extra cores for my uses.

TL;DR, I stuck with Intel for now for Memory OCing and no bios issues.

SaberJ2X likes this.
  3. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Fair enough but in the 20 plus years of me being in the game of building computers I never ever had to worry about "upgrading" the current rig so whether a mobo socket is EOL or not didn't matter. By the time I upgraded it was always new CPU, RAM, MOBO.

SaberJ2X likes this.
  4. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    True, same for me. I think the only time I upgraded a cpu was maybe Pentium II or 2500K to 2600K, aside from that you're right I built a lot of rigs and I just usually sell the entire lot and rebuild.

Anyway my bro asked if he could take pics of my 3080 lol...
    [​IMG]

Sends this to me... 6 more days till I can visit my family and get to play cyberpunk finally... at least it will have a few patches in :p

Maddness and SaberJ2X like this.

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    yup, same here, only time I've been bothered is if the MOBO goes out and I need one ASAP, and I have to hunt the correct one online... AM4 at least I can get any and it'll probably save me in a pinch, but... that's the only plus I see

6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Look what finally turned up to pair with my 3080. :D

LG CX OLED.jpg

7. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Sweet Christmas!

8. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Congrats on the 3080. There's a chance I "may" upgrade the CPU on my build (despite my prior comment of not upgrading in an old mobo socket). I put this together in September with the 3080 (Ryzen 9 3900X). The 5000 Series has more "oomph" in games but I don't know if it's enough to really matter at this point. Everything, as is, runs stupid fast already sans Flight Simulator 2020. :p

9. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    [​IMG]

Well, local supplier is pretty good, got a 3070 for wife's PC (avid Control/horizon zero dawn player)

10. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070 Ti
    Where can I grab this ,nvidia site ?
    Thank you

11. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yup both AMD and Intel choices are good atm, I'll be pretty much done upgrading till DDR5 so whether AMD 6K or Intel Alder I'll go with either one is better when the time comes xD

Ryzen 1000 - catch up
    Ryzen 2000 - catch up
    Ryzen 3000 - almost there!
    Ryzen 5000 - right there +/- better than Intel

Intel - 8th - Yikes we gotta go!
    Intel - 9th - Just release, we'll make up for it, just say we have better IPC
    Intel - 10 - Alright we can't win multicore, just push the single core frequencies!
    Intel - 11 - back to 8 core 14nm??? Nani??!

So yeah Intel 12th and Ryzen 6000 is gonna be nice.. DDR5 going to be expensive though and possibly getting everything PCIE 4/5.

N0sferatU likes this.
  12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    So in order to get 3080 i have to pay an absurd amount of money like $1300 LOL.

I'll wait till Feb to see how the 3080ti comes along.

13. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    imo, nvidia will slowly phase out or rather limit stock of 3080 to push for the 3080Ti and a $999 or even $1,099 msrp because the 3080 is just too good at $699 msrp. You'll have a 5-10% increased performance but for $300 more and the 3090 will have that 10-15% performance over the 3080... I mean lets face it how much difference there is between a 3080 10GB and a 3090 24GB.. now put something in between, lets say 3080Ti 20GB... it's not going to be better than the 3090 so there is only so much performance difference in between. They will also push for that 3070Ti probably 16GB but non GDDR6x to keep it below 3080 but increased everything else will push it higher.

So who knows maybe things will improve after the first few months of 2021.. maybe it will stay drought season we'll see... but we do know that there is a push for higher costs, AMD is doing it, Nvidia is going to be doing it.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    TPU's bios archive.

bigcid1 likes this.
  15. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070 Ti
    ok,Thanks
    My FE already has the newer of those 2

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    did you look at unverified as well? W1zzard can get a bit lazy about okaying bios uploads lol

bigcid1 likes this.
  17. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070 Ti
    yes ,you were right
    it is newer,Let me see if I can talk myself into flashing it,lol\

18. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    Well, I'm one of you now:
    [​IMG]

It was either this or a 6900XT, but I failed to grab the last one...
    It just barely fit in my case without cutting out the drive bay, and I thought that my Vega 64 STRIX was big...

So initial impressions:
    -benchmarks are in line with G3D review,
    -still the same old Nvidia Control Panel
    -I can finally watch Netflix in 4K/HDR(!!!)
    -I had to manually select 10bpp for my monitor
    -DSR goes to 8K
    -Cyberport runs and looks a lot better! I think DLSS in 4K makes an acceptable trade-off between looks and performance, with RT on.
    -I have to limit FPS to 58 for Freesy... Pardon me... GSync Compatible, to work properly.

-That Suprim doesn't break a sweat doing 100% load. The GPU hovers around 60 degrees Celsius, and I can't even hear the fans (compared to the rather noisy Vega STRIX), so I believe there's a lot of overclocking headroom left, which I didn't try yet...

TL;DR I'm happy with my new card!

Maddness, GoldenTiger, DannyD and 2 others like this.
  19. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Great purchase, I got the same tv a few weeks ago. Never had such a good television in my life. :D

Maddness likes this.
  20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Try the UV this beast, then see if it can have better averages (MHz).
    860mV, 900mV etc. try to find sweet spot (Max MHz Vs UV).

Morax likes this.