Are these the final clock frequencies for Intel Rocket Lake-S Desktop processors?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2020.

1. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    No point in these processors even existing. Intel has nothing of value until they release Alder Lake 10nm with PCIE 5.0 and DDR5 RAM support.

2. CRUBINO

CRUBINO Guest

GPU:
    Zotac Geforce GTX1080 FE
    hey, where is the i3 11100 ?
    that naming is very sexy to me, so it deserve for upgrade my HTPC rig... LOL ! :D:D

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It was quite embarrassing they didn't get the PCIe 4.0 working with the 10k series. They desperately need the 11k series to fix that, especially since the mobo manufacturers were already ready to sell PCIe 4.0 mobos for Intel systems, at least some of them. Nobody knows when Alder Lake might appear, so Intel needs something to sell until then. AMD is already selling a second gen with PCIe 4.0 and the new consoles have it too, with much fanfare, which isn't good for Intel reputation wise. Of course they also want the gaming crown back asap since it was Intel's sole redoubt ever since Ryzen, outside of mobile or niche applications, at least.

4. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    They exist because Intel has to release something as a response to Zen 3. They can't get into the situation they were in with Northwood and Prescott when K8 was smacking them around in all mainstream workloads. Getting the "gaming crown" back is important from a word-of-mouth/marketing standpoint. Especially nowadays. RL will be enough for that, and to tie them over until Alder lake is out. Also, what Kaarme just said.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Are these on 10 nm? If not why would you bother when the competition has equally fast 16 cores for probably similar prices and a far lower power consumption? 250 W on a mainstream CPU isn't really acceptable.

6. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Mean't to be 10nm but they back ported it to 14nm :(

7. winning.exe

winning.exe Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I thought Intel’s 14nm process was using a similar gate height/size to TSMC’s 7nm. The nanometer count branding is really only marketing at this point. Efficiency is highly correlated to clock speed: for instance if you look at the Xeon Scalable line, none of them touch 250 watts below 56 cores, because they run at half the frequency of consumer chips. The Pentium 4 ought to have taught consumers that clock speeds mean very little.

Spectre and Meltdown are not an issue for end users unless you’re running untrusted executables with administrative privileges, at which point you are already putting your system at risk whether or not those two vulnerabilities are present. These are much more of an issue for cloud services and hosting providers, end users really shouldn’t worry.

I wonder, do any users of Intel “i series” processors really need more than 8 cores? How many people who buy Threadripper processors, as well, regularly use their computers for tasks that scale past 8 cores? It seems like many consumers are being marketed and sold more than they really need. This is unfortunate for consumers.

8. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    Press X to doubt. (Especially coming from a fanboy)

lol no.

BLEH! and Kosmoz like this.
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Intels 10nm is similar to TSMCs 7nm

10. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Well I know my account name says AMDMan2016, thats because years ago all i could afford was AMD based systems for many years, after coming across some funds in late 2017, i decided it was time to go back to Intel, and Nvidia video card, and enjoy that for quite a few years.

Well my Pre Built Intel Asus I7 7700 started having overheating issues after i upgraded the video card, attempted to have local shop switch it to new case, but when Input/Output shield didn't work with new case for that older Intel board, i decided i may as well upgrade to Intel 10Th Gen I7 10700 to go along with my Geforce 1660 Super, and the new case Thermaltake V200. As for upgrading to Rocket Lake it depends if my Gigabyte B460M-DS3H motherboard supports it in the future, and if i can then afford it

very happy with the performance though

P.S. Christmas gonna try to afford memory improvement as well for system, used the old ram that i had the Asus, DDR 4 2400, 16gb of ram, so think will grab DDR 4 2666 sticks, and have slightly faster ram to use with this system.

Future CPU cooler upgrade from Stock CPU Cooler shop used planned as well, unknown when gonna get that done, maybe birthday possibly, just have to hopefully have a day in RL that is quiet, and time to get it done for first time ever doing myself.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Why do clowns like you even exist......

Kosmoz likes this.
  12. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070
    Educate yourself more and read what Kosmoz has said. We need to move forward and not stay stagnant like what intel has done for the past 10 years - of no innovation and +5% years of pathetic "improvements". They should've made another Sandybridge like upgrade, but instead they chose not to - because of people like you and that line of thinking. XD

Also, don't be like karma777police it's bad for your health XD

Kosmoz, carnivore and Undying like this.
  13. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    that 5GHZ single core Intel, I want my machine on it.

14. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    even if it does beat Zen 3 by a fair margin Zen 3 still has the core battle up it's sleeve which is how Zen 1 started the Zen revolution.

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Is the ISH nonstick without teflon?

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    That 250W looks nice tho ... i will stick to 45W 5600X . Sorry

17. winning.exe

winning.exe Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    The conclusion TechPowerup reached was “While these are not much different, TSMC's node is still much denser compared to Intel's.” Much denser implies more heat in a smaller area: not very often something you want.

If you see the vulnerabilities as a threat, it’s your own prerogative. The real world threat is zero.

I’ve never been a customer of Intel consumer grade processors, as they generally use the lowest end scavenged silicon, and it is generally acknowledged that the best areas on the wafer are used for large Xeon dies rather than I series parts (the same goes for AMD, crippling threadripper with fewer memory channels, Epyc is lower power consumption as well. You get what you pay for). While I use Xeon processors for HPC tasks, it’s very easy to see that most people buying processors are not building multi-processor servers for HPC, or any compute for that matter. Four cores is more than enough for day to day, low impact tasks like web browsing, gaming, and light content creation.

18. NightWind

NightWind Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    That's what comes to my mind reading those specs.

99.PNG

19. winning.exe

winning.exe Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    4 cores and 4 threads suggests a very low end processor: Intel hyper-threads everything but the bottom of the bin SKUs. It makes sense that moving from a budget part to a high end part with hyper threading would increase speed ;) Of course since you neglected to list part number, cache size, architecture, etc. your “comparison” could be between a 5 watt quad core Cherry Trail Atom and an 8700K.

It’s nice that you think you need more than four cores, and I’m sure Intel and AMD love the huge profits they reap from consumers buying much more powerful processors than they need, but web browsing and other low impact tasks are much more heavily influenced by disk read and write speeds, memory capacity, etc. than “more cores.” I see 1-4% CPU usage with a huge number (20+) of browser windows open, and the same amount of CPU usage running games on my 4K screen (not a high refresh rate screen, 60Hz). Vulkan games often scale up to 16 cores of low to moderate usage on my system, but go no further than that.

Faster hardware does not inherently promote “advanced software.” More often than not, it promotes laziness and inefficiency. What promotes better software is very often gimmick instructions and features like AVX-512, RTX, PhysX, etc. These each have provided massive, noticeable improvements in their respective fields, and are feature set changes rather than mere speed increases.