Are these the final clock frequencies for Intel Rocket Lake-S Desktop processors?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    That is remarkably unimpressive and I am thoroughly underwhelmed. I see a ThreadRipper in my future.

3. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I am literally getting Prescott flashbacks. Let's hope there's a Conroe around the corner.

Alessio1989, doorspaulo and Undying like this.
  4. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    yep... but the amd fanboys will cry about TDP, nano meter, 7zip performance etc...

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    It certainly looks like it will smoke.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Clock speed beyond 4ghz dont mean anything to me anymore STP is not issue on Intel or AMD at this point, and fact most thing going forward will care more MTP means more to me

7. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    Don't forget guys: dozens of security vulnerabilities included.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Who dont like swiss cheese??

butjer1010 likes this.
  9. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    RL will do what it's meant to do, take back the gaming crown and serve as a stop-gap until Alder Lake. That's all it's supposed to be, and it shouldn't be treated as anything else. This isn't the CPU that's going to take the fight to AMD, and that's perfectly fine. It's enough to coast on for another six months as they get their ducks in a row. Obviously AMD isn't going just twiddle their thumbs and do nothing in the mean time (5950XT, anyone?), but IIRC they won't have a direct counter to AL until Q1 22.

10. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    I disagree.
    In my opinion intel lost the fight since Zen1 and Zen2 already. We were always talking about single-core preferences that were a bit better on intel, yet within frames per second ranges that were beyond total of 100fps anyway so it wouldn't even matter that intel was faster in single core threads for a long time.
    By the time Zen1 was released, intel struggled with architecture security issues and it has become even worse from time to time. Since Meltdown and Spectre, I do avoid intel at all costs. Right now things like Foreshadow and Zombieload are being executed even by backdoors, that makes me avoid intel even more. I guess intel was able to push the speed at the costs of security and that's a no-no in my opinion. Due to that I have come to the point were I don't care any more about who is faster (AMD or Intel). Intel its CPUs are literally broken.

In IT we always say that your security measurements are only that strong like the weakest spot in your system. Do you really want to play games, manage your personal files and login to your accounts with a computer that can be easily compromised ? If your answer is yes, then fine, go with intel if you wish so.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    especially after zen 2 ...does it even matter the gaming perf ? any zen2 or zen 3 6+core and any intel 6 core + is an awesome gaming cpu .... deciding to cpu cause one cpu gives 5 more fps on a game ....where your cpu already can push 100 and 200 fps if it is not cpu bound ... straight up does not matter ...

honestly i saw on black friday 9900k cpus going for 300 usd or so .... now those where awesome value

12. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070
    pathetic XD

13. chrislondon

chrislondon Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I will be very surprised if Intel manages to launch Alder Lake in 2021...

14. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Why? If you where considering rocket lake you weren't ever considering threadripper lol

Maybe you mean Vermeer

15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Intel's best weapon against AMD is that the AMD CPUs are unavailable. I guess it wasn't such a disastrous decision for Intel to keep their own production facilities, after all. If AMD still had GF and it was consequently still fully involved in the nm race, the 5000 series CPUs and 6000 series GPUs would actually be more normally available for purchase.

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    11700K next year then!

17. Abd0

Abd0 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060 6GB
    I can't understand how someone would be more than happy to pay (at least) $800+ for a CPU and a MB every generation just to get 5~10 FPS over the competition and have the guts to call others "AMD fanboys"
    not to mention the security issues that comes for free with the $800+

ZXRaziel and Agonist like this.
  18. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Looks like it will deliver more performance as a heater than as a cpu. Backported designs rarely work out well.

19. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I'm liking my options for 10900F or 10700F if RKL fails
    Frankly I'd happily shed out the money now,waiting can prove expensive when shortages hit,and 10900F costs just a little premium over 5600x atm here in PL,10700F is almost a steal for a 8/16 gaming cpu.

Tho I would really like to wait and see.A 8/16 i7 may be very fast for gaming.

as long as he knows he is an intel fanboy,yeah,I can uderstand it.
    it's those who are in denial that need help.

and btw this goes both ways......

I've a friend,bought a 5900x for his gaming setup though he initially wanted a 8/16 he doubled down seeing how ridiculously expensive it is for a gaming cpu he bought an even more expensive one cause he said cost per core is lower,then he realized his 5900x took out his whole cpu+mobo budget,so he doubled down again and got a rog ch board that he has to pay for in installments.
    It's just sad given how he already wanted to upgrade since z390+9900k came out,been waiting for amd cpus not only to undermine in gaming and smash them in cost per frame.While we can agree the former one is where zen 3 delivers,the latter is far from what we expected price wise.Yet he is in complete denial and trolls a forum where we met.He always made some good points about amd delivering bang for the buck and intel being arrogant snobs,about making decisions that are not against your own economical interest no matter what brand you like.Been preaching for years,then paid ridiculous money for his own setup.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Gandul likes this.
  20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Intel´s CPUs are already fast enough, in terms of clocks, what they need now is to improve the IPC considerably to compete against Ryzen.

Valken and cucaulay malkin like this.