Geminid meteor shower

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Airbud, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Geminid meteor shower, active from December 4–17, peaks the night of December 13/14.

With absolutely no interference from the Moon and a maximum expected rate of up to 150 meteors per hour, this is one show you won’t want to miss.

also:
    For the first time in nearly 800 years, a rare Christmas star will light up the sky at the start of this month’s winter solstice, a shiny beacon that will be visible from South Florida without a telescope.

It’s a planetary alignment that that last happened in the year 1226

As they make their orbit around the sun, Jupiter and Saturn will slowly grow closer together over the next two weeks until they are almost completely aligned, according to NASA.

“Alignments between these two planets are rather rare, occurring once every 20 years or so, but this conjunction is exceptionally rare because of how close the planets will appear to one another,” said Hartigan. “You’d have to go all the way back to just before dawn on March 4, 1226, to see a closer alignment between these objects visible in the night sky.”

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Howling to the night sky?

DannyD and Airbud like this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Nah, rather chilling at the BBQ with a beer in hand and watching the meteor shower

Airbud and mbk1969 like this.
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm which direction am i looking? i might take out side tonight? cause be seen with naked eye?

Jupiter satarn thing might be intresting to see would have drag out heavy telescope though

5. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Two nights ago I saw an impressive orange meteor that was probably a Geminid.

Airbud likes this.
  6. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    They come from the Gemini constellation direction, Castor and Pollux - quite easy to find.

Airbud likes this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    went out tonight to cloudy see anything see alot moving "lights" up there but nothing streaking like metor shower. did see like 4 light in alignment moving across the sky though. maybe I try again later tonight and cloud will be gone

Airbud likes this.