Frequent "jitter"/microstutter in lots of games with G-Sync/3900X/2080S @1440p

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Oct 23, 2020.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @Blanky Huh, that's interesting, I'll have to try adding that as a launch command then, thanks.

2. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Ok have read it dont agree with it but am just a casual observer, however is this what your seeing?

BlindBison likes this.
  3. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    GameMode is separate from the Xbox GameBar, which ties into FSE (presumably because it needs it). The general consensus, though I haven't investigated in a while, is that GameMode is best disabled -- except for some fringe cases, it either made no difference or made games run worse. Good old Microsoft.

Try setting
    GameDVR_DXGIHonorFSEWindowsCompatible"=dword:00000001
    to 0
    It's possible I did some fart-arsing around since I last set these values.

EDIT: There's two other options to try as well: SpecialK I -think- can force exclusive full screen, have to check that, and the latest Reshade 4.8.2 Crosire added the ability to force fullscreen:
    Code:
    Removed global settings ("ForceFullscreen", "Force10BitFormat", etc.) from ReShade.ini and instead moved those into [ReShade DLL Name].ini (e.g. d3d9.ini/dxgi.ini/opengl32.ini) file
    [APP]
    ForceVSync=0
    ForceWindowed=0
    ForceFullscreen=0
    ForceResolution=0,0
    Force10BitFormat=0

enkoo1 and BlindBison like this.
  4. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Have you tried the Ultimate Performance power plan in Windows, not just the High Performance mode?? I noticed the stuttering I was having in some games with Gsync pretty much disappeared when I tried that power profile.

[​IMG]

It's supposed to be available on any desktop or server system but it didn't show up for me and I had to enable it manually at the command-line. Once you type that at the command prompt, it will show up in the Power options.

powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @Shadowdane Thanks, no, I've only tried "Ryzen Balanced" and "Ryzen Performance" -- from what I'd read people just said Ryzen Balanced with up to date chipset drivers would be best, but I'll give that a go for sure after work.

@Martigen Thanks -- sadly, it doesn't seem to work for me on the latest Win 10 version :( I might see if SpecialK or some other work around does work though.

My hope is that "typically" G-Sync will work fine with the fullscreen optimizations or what not, but it is pretty annoying there's no way to use the "true" exclusive fullscreen mode anymore for some games.

6. stryfe2010

stryfe2010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3060 12GB
    Does your nvme have a heatsink? If not is it throttling due to temp during gaming? Have you tried the benchmark in gpuz to see if your gpu is actually being read as x16 3.0? I had a mb that had a messed up pcix slot and would cause the gpu to stutter or crash when set to auto or gen 3 in the bios but would run fine if it was set to Gen 2.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    It's been sometime since I checked, but my temps looked alright a couple months ago -- haven't check since tweaking RAM though. Not sure about gpuz/x16 3.0, but that's something I'll look into, sure -- will just need to download gpuz I expect, thanks.

EDIT: Temps look within reason at a glance playing a couple games -- still need to check on that x16 3.0 bit though. Thanks for the heads-up!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @suty455 Sorry I forgot to reply to your comment there -- what I'm seeing in Arkham Knight (EPIC version, latest patch -- no mods or anything) is basically constant stuttering unless I cap FPS externally to around 30 FPS. Another user mentioned a mod that claims to help alleviate this so I figure I'll give it a go if I load up the game again.

For that game I tried with and without Fullscreen Optimizations (using the exe checkbox) and my setup was in-game V-Sync OFF + nvidia control panel V-Sync ON + G-Sync ON for fullscreen and windowed mode.

I "think" G-sync is enabled correctly (verified using the G-Sync indicator from the control panel), but the game still has really long frametime stutters for me.

9. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    In your shoes I would reset everything to standard uninstall any software that boosts performance such as afterburner etc, DDU the drivers and try again with no optimisations just a standard install no vsynch or adaptive vsynch just gsynch on or off with the windows gpu settings set at high performance for the games you play, also ensure your monitor refresh in windows is set correctly under displays then see what happens, you dont by any chance have ICUE monitoring or recording performance? and ensure game bar/mode and recording/streaming are turned off in windows settings along with the xbox settings and any other streaming options especially Steam, then see how it plays with those specs that game should be easily playable

BlindBison likes this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @suty455 Thanks, I do not have iCUE, but I do have Razer Syapse running as I'm using a Deathadder with some custom settings. I use RTSS (Rivatuner)'s overlay to view FPS and I typically have Logitech's ghub running as I have one of their headsets which requires it for the voice/bluvoice chip to work right.

I can try DDU/go for a clean install/disable gamebar/I have tried swapping power plans before but I'll give it another go. Thanks,

11. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I would remove anything that overlays or records statistics

BlindBison likes this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    That works only for Unity engine games and not all of them necessarily work either.

BlindBison likes this.
  13. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    FYI, Arkham Knight is UE3 not UE4 (although Outer Worlds IS UE4), kind of an aging engine, wouldnt surprise me if it had issues depending on the system. Sorry i dont have an actual fix for the issue, but i felt it should be mentioned.

Also, i dont trust Synapse (i have a Razer Wolverine and after configuring the extra buttons i uninstalled, it lol)

AsiJu and BlindBison like this.
  14. van_dammesque

van_dammesque Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    Since your RAM is not behaving to its specs, try removing one of the sticks. (Assuming it is 16 Gb x 2 config)

BlindBison likes this.
  15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @van_dammesque Thanks, I'll give it a go over the weekend once I get back home.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah I uninstalled Synapse also ages ago (Cynosa Chroma keyboard).
    It had several processes running in bg hogging memory and bit of CPU.

17. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    I just thought of something, Unreal Games can have issues with shadercache. Some of them have their own cache (UE4 games? i forget), so they end up caching twice. Not sure it matters for UE3 games though.

It varies from game to game and build number; I used to have it disabled for Fortnite, but when they added DX12 it made me stutter even more with it disabled, lol

(also i might spin up the Arkham games again, last time i played i didnt have g-sync!)

18. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    T
    Try 446.14 driver

19. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Sorry to trouble you again on this, but I do use HWINFO64 + RTSS (I may switch to using MSI Afterburner inline with Unwinder’s recommendation soon though).

The only sensors I use are:

1) CPU usage + CPU frequency + CPU Temp
    2) GPU Usage + GPU VRAM usage + GPU Temp
    3) RAM Usage (percentage) + RAM usage (MBs)
    4) RTSS import of framerate and frame time

All other sensors are disabled — do you think these could cause issues or are they pretty lightweight? I have RTSS and HWINFO running in the background all the time really.

I did not notice a difference really with then both open versus closed in Hunt Showdown recently, but I wanted to ask since you seemed knowledgeable about sensors/reading values from games and all. Thanks!

20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Should be safe. The only thing that ever caused issues for me was polling GPU power with some Pascal cards, it caused stutter with D3D12 and the Nvidia driver limiter. Apart from that, I never ran into any issues (and I got frame time graph drawn in many games for years).

BlindBison likes this.