Review: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 8, 2020.

1. kcthebrewer

kcthebrewer Guest

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia 6800GT OC
    Most materials in real life have some reflective quality. Going though everything and getting the physically based texture to have the perfect roughness takes a LOT of time. It is just easier for devs to set a small number of roughness levels and then apply that to every PBR texture.

Which is why when you compare a game like CP2077 to WDL, you can visually see the difference the devs were able/allowed to put in to get much better reflective properties on most/all objects.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    We could go back further to when you didn't care about RT. Now you're taking a wait n see approach, even though you're not going to be able to use it without an upgrade.

I've found that many people have gone from not caring to at least interested in the potential. Stances are softening on RT. A few more years and it'll just become a standard option that comes with most triple A games. Shrug. I'm expecting RT performance with high-end RTX4000 and RX7000 series to be totally usable up to 4K. I can't wait until it's just another choice, instead of compromises.

#StillExcitedForRT

AuerX likes this.
  3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I'm the same i can see the RX70 series killing it in RT.

4. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    At this stage if youre an enthusiast gamer the Radeons are not a good choice. Or very future proof.
    CP2077 proved that. To run it with all the features on is simply not possible with a AMD GPU atm. No fine wine driver is gonna fix that either.

Stormyandcold likes this.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    PBR and normal map is probably best way how to achieve better materials or real life materials

If it takes lots of time, agree with that as well because I do only stills and sometimes I literally spending like 1 day just tweaking materials/shaders for simple scene

Thanks, Jura

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    My opinion did not change from start. Even at very beginning I wrote that raytracing is bottomless pit where you can throw any and all performance as you desire.
    Never enough. What will happen with next generation when nVidia doubles raytracing capability?
    Game which will release shortly will add one extra bounce for reflections, one extra shadow sample per pixel. And performance will be gone again.

Gobling performance in rasterization requires actual work, use of more detailed assets. (Or cheaping out on optimizations.)
    But any current DX-R game can get update which will change numerical value for reflections/refractions/per pixel rays/... And performance is gone.

And when they decide to do as pointless thing as having accurate raytraced Depth of Field. Funny times ahead.

Things will not get interesting till there is like 8x raytracing performance of 3080, but available at $400~500.
    And at that time, movie industry will be all over those cards.

7. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    RT in Cyberpunk on a 3060Ti is already interesting, no need to wait for several years (although you might have to wait for several months for the card to actually be in stock at normal prices!).

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    but scalability is also an advantage of RT that no other effect has. In years to come we could boot-up our favourite games from "back in the day" and it's fully realised with RT or even higher quality RT.

My dream (which I've posted here years ago) is port of a film to playable game and it's all using the same assets. I'm sure my example film was Toy Story. We are closer than ever to that being possible.

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ugly kids in video games was something that got accidentally accomplished years ago though and has been recurring ever since due to shortcuts in development or asset re-use. :p

[​IMG]

...As to the rest of it though yeah there's a ways to go even if the assets in that first movie are showing their age. :D

Valken and Stormyandcold like this.
  10. SGMRock

SGMRock Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 XC3 Hybrd
    This article actually makes me feel ok about dropping the $ on the EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming card I just got last Thursday. Since I run 3840x1600 I can see that the 3090 would be the right choice even for non RT games. Not to mention my LG 38GL950G monitor has a Gsync 2 chip in it, so it make sense in both areas to go with the 3090.