NVIDIA: Ampere RTX 30 Stock Issues Is not only based on GPU shortages

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2020.

1. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    If you mean the Aorus 3090 Xtreme in your sig... that popped up on scan about 30 minutes ago for £1799 ... gone again though.

2. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Yes its funny reading some American comments complaining about having to put down a "deposit" to get in the waiting list for a 30 series card... over here, the f'ing etailers will only allow you on list if they take the FULL PRICE of card right away. So all the money is sitting in their accounts making interest instead.

I also got stung badly with this a few weeks ago when i got a notification a 3080 card was "coming into stock tomorrow" on scan site at about 1am, so I immediately ordered it, and full money came out of my Euro account in GBP, then next day I got email from scan saying it was a mistake and they wouldn't have this card for weeks, and that I could cancel or stay in queue.... I was pissed off so I replied back and told them to cancel it, which they did... but my bank account showed the refund and I was charged about 13 EURO in currency conversion fees for nothing.. their mistake and incompetence basically. (ie. €919.50 (812.58GBP) went out 5th Nov...but only €906.81 came back on 6th Nov) :mad:

3. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I think that link comes directly from NVidias own online UK store... scan is handling orders for them. So when it comes in stock in Nvidia store... clicking buy sends you to there on scan site.

DannyD likes this.
  4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    What the actual hell? Where are you from? Those prices are madness.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    They took your money when you ordered the card and you still are waiting to receive it??? Is this even legal?

6. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I don't know about UK law but you'd get the stick here in the Republic of Ireland. Receipt shows I should get Watch Dogs: Legion but those codes are only sent when your card is shipped and the promotion period for said code ended at the end of November.

Beyond tilted.

7. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I would be livid. Can't claim the conversion fees back or anything? The whole debacle put you out of pocket!

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It doesn't matter because if you look at the number of steam users at this point vs 2 month periods after 2080, and 1080 - the 3080 falls nearly inline with those products (keep in mind peak users on steam doubled since 2016 - so .22% of users is potentially greater number of people than .28% with the 1080)

RTX 3080
    • Release: 2020 september
    • Share in october - not listed
    • Share in november 0.22%
    RTX 2080
    • Release: 2018 september
    • Share in october - not listed
    • Share in november - not listed
    • Share in december 0.21%
    GTX 1080
    • Release: 2016 May
    • Share in june - not listed
    • Share in july 0.28%
    Even if you ignore steam growth over the last 4 years, it's performing slightly worse than a 1080, a card that's half the size (far easier to manufacturer). Nvidia's financials basically paint the same picture - gaming revenue record - $2.27B up 30% over their best quarter, which was during the height of the mining craze.

Looking at the data idk how anyone can sit here and pretend like this launch is anything but insane demand due to a combination of 2000 series being really bad value (lots of people skipping it, including me), COVID keeping people home and the 3080 being priced really well for the performance.

Valken and Noisiv like this.
  9. ScreamerRSA

ScreamerRSA Member

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 TUF OC
    2 628,82 US dollars...... not even the highest end one, ASUS TUF OC 3090. Wanted a 2 pin card as I didn't want to chance my 750W PSU not being up to the task because of the 400W+ the 3 pin models can pull.

There are actually quite a few 3090 available over here, I assume because its out of reach for most as our average monthly income is about half that.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yeah. I'd also like to know what's the working theory behind Nvida dastardly liars braking every $$ record, while producing A GRAND TOTAL of like 46 RTX 3000 cards.

I mean RTX 2000 is dead. And they're not selling Ampere cards for $4,000,000 apiece, are they?
    So how is Nvidia able to generate these insane gaming revenue growths as shown in Q3'21, if they have no product to sell?

geogan likes this.

11. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Well i think it was the banking system (using debit card) that charged the conversion fees so nothing to do with site itself, but it was their fault alright. Not a chance of bankers refunding that.

12. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I saw that and was wondering same... seems they have 95% of their business outside home PC GPUs, must have a lot of high paying secret military contracts to supply supercomputer parts or something...

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The land of the Kangaroo.

Here's some actual prices as of today.

[​IMG]

XenthorX likes this.
  14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @H83/mentor07825
    so if you had a shop/service you offer, you would ship the items, before a customer payed for it? lol
    outside some big companies like amazon that charge for some/smaller items when they actually ship,
    everyone you can order an item from, will charge you when you hit "accept/buy",
    same for most "pre-order" stuff, so the sellers dont end up with product, because the customer didnt pay when it got ready to ship.

e.g. this isnt a Dr's visit where you pay after all services are rendered and know the final price...

15. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    there were plenty of 1080s to buy at launch,I got mine in june 16 too
    3080 - order placed sep 17th,no sign of it.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm not really sure how this disproves my point. The argument is whether demand is unprecedented or not. I have numbers showing Nvidia, in the months following the 3080's launch, supplied similar numbers to the 1080/2080 launches (arguably significantly more if you factor in 1.8x more steam users than in 2016). So it's possible the reason why you don't have a 3080 right now is because so many more people want the card than wanted the GTX1080 on it's launch.

Except we are talking about their gaming segment...

Is possible that Nvidia isn't lying and people just want these cards far more than any other launch? Why is that just so unbelievable?

17. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Well it looks like Scan had a good delivery of 3070Xtrio this week( over 60 units arrived unless a load of people canceled) and with more coming next week hopefully my order will be dispatched very soon.

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    To be clear, at this prices you gotta be nuts to get into PC gaming, jeez. I would go console and never look back!

Valken likes this.
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Top of the range for me used to be a little over $1000, since mining became a thing the price for high end has gone over 2000 and never come back down.... it's just crazy.

I've put a little bit of money aside for a cpu/mobo/memory combo, just thankful those parts are still priced realistically.

XenthorX likes this.
  20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The problem here is a shop accepting the money of the product when they don´t have on stock and don´t know when they will finally get it and ship it to the customer! This is simply wrong!

Stores should only accept the full payment of a product when they have it on stock and ready to send to the customer, otherwise they should only take a small down payment to book the order and then ask for the remaining when they have the product.

Imagine paying for something and only getting the product after 3 or more months...

drone69 likes this.