bcdedit "tweaks" on Windows 10, need opinions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Smough, Jul 22, 2020.

1. EnthusiastX

EnthusiastX Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    Booting should be faster. I have a mind-blowing number of tweaks. None of them improve performance significantly, but together they improve gaming smoothness by only slightly increasing FPS, but drastically decreasing driver latency.

2. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    If you think DEP is the problem you can disable it more safely in Windows Defender instead
    (now called Windows Security i think)

enkoo1 likes this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Speaking of that the Code Flow Guard or how it's called seems to give some improvement in a few titles compiled with CFG awareness or something of that nature in newer Visual C++ SDK's, don't know about boot editing and stuff like timing or hi-precision but far as Defender and CFG that one can alleviate some stuttering from the protection doing background checks and what not though how severe seem to vary and for whatever reason it looks like it has a more noticeable impact on the D3D12 API when used.

Going by the various build notes it looks like Microsoft is also tinkering more with Defender so it might be fixed but it might also be handy in 19042.x and later (20H2 and on.) plus whatever the shipped exe files are compiled against for default flags in VC++ 2019 and later SDK's for C++ if that's the default setting for it.

Don't think it's going to be anything too dramatic in terms of overall framerate improvements but if it resolves some stuttering or hitching as a result of this activity overall frame times might be more consistent and even. :)
    Suppose a more comprehensive test would be needed to give a clearer picture on how it affects things and how severe it is affecting them and if D3D12 (Or Vulkan?) are more sensitive or why this API is singled out in particular.

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Literally what.

Terepin and blackthesoul like this.

5. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Please share them, I guess this is why this thread exists.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That one command does that:
    BCDEDIT /set {current} NX AlwaysOff

7. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Well since everyone is beating a dead horse, let me chime in with my 2cents.

Using the timer @0.5 (systemtick on), I get the highest graphics score in Firestrike. Ofcourse I also lose Physics Score. I also lose some dram latency (AIDA64). Interestingly, I was able to OC my DRAM (CL14 3333 to CL16 3700) to overcome the difference in Physics Score & dram latency.

Using HPET off & platformclock on, i.e. APIC once again I get kinda worse scores and overall latency. Maybe only using TSC indeed has some benefit. Then again I'm on 2016 LTSB, no clue how modern versions of windows react.

8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    You don't need to force useplatformclock on and you don't have to disable it in BIOS. Windows uses it dynamically, it doesn't force it on the system unless you specifiy it via cmd.

9. Daniel Wu

Daniel Wu New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    please share them via pastebin ? thanks, i am building my new 2080ti 21:9 set-up :p

10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Don't mess with this, seriously. Tweak other stuff, don't touch this.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    MS did fix something years ago that took care of the issue there was by not having disabledynamictick set to yes, apart from that it is for power saving, there is no need to stop the system timer when idle on most modern systems.
    There was higher latency back in time using audio applications, especially via ASIO, where tweaking some of the BCD settings and stopping an audio/media service did help, but all that works fine with everything at default now.
    Hence why Windows PC's are completely valid to use for media production these days, in the past it was mainly a Mac thing.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    This simply can't be stressed enough, but people do want to believe...

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That sentence is too complex for my level of English, so I decided to ask whether there was an issue (years ago) capable to be fixed with "set disabledynamictick yes"? And then MS fixed that issue and the solution with "set disabledynamictick yes" is not needed anymore?

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Yeah, was a typo there.
    MS did fix the issue years ago that some of us had, which also made use set disabledynamictick to yes in the past, it's not needed anymore, think they only kept if for debugging purposes.

15. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    It's Control Flow Guard. And ever since i found out about it, i disable it every time Windows 10 does a Feature update (e.g. 1903, 1909, 2004 etc); because Microsoft insists on re-enabling it. It also caused issues with chromium based browsers (not sure if it was fixed, i would assume with the new Edge being chrome based it is/was being fixed by MS)

16. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    Since everyone is saying changing things in current builds is not needed (w10 2004 here), i was wondering if you could list the default settings for the bcdedit stuff.
    Currently it's on Useplatformclock: No, Useplatformtick: Yes, and Disabledynamictick: Yes(i usually disable that all the time).
    Is there a way to put everything back on default with a command, or should i just delete entries?

Thank you in advance

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Using bcdedit /deletevalue will put the setting back to default.

18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I believe after 1803, MS did a good job on tweaking the timer resolution. On Creators Update (1709) it was odd, like 1.0092 or around that, so I believe you DO need to use bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes to set it to a round 1ms, but on 1803 and after, they changed it to 0.9996 ms, so I've seen reports of people who have problems by forcing bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes on newer Windows builds. The ones who say there's an "improvement" are 1709 users. Also keep in mind 1709 is the version plagued with the standby memory bug issue; it has been claimed MS fixed it on 1803 and upwards, some people still report the problem, but seems to be less than 1709 users, who need to use ISLC on demand because the problem was never fixed for 1709.

I'd recommend you 1607, which is free of any memory bugs, 1809, stable and a mature O.S now with updates or just 2004. Skip 1903 and 1909 since 2004 will improve with updates, no need to get an older version. I recommended 1809 because it is stable now and with low latency.

Xtreme512 likes this.
  19. Huzzaa

Huzzaa Guest

GPU:
    ATI RADEON HD6950 OC x2
    Do you have a specific historical reason why that came to pass?

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is not clear what exactly do you target in your question - "dynamic tick" or "useplatformtick"?