Gave up waiting for a 3080 ...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mufflore, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Buccellati

Buccellati Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I have been thinking to myself on upgrading to a 2070 super (with a good discount if I find) instead, prices for the 3070 are way to inflated, and maybe I don't wanna wait. Aren't you satisfied with it to hold on for another generation? I only play in 1080p anyway.

2. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Did the same thing - had a 3080 FE in the basket - paypal login wouldn't complete so I thought "frack it" and snagged a 3090.

Mufflore likes this.
  3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Same here, found a French store who delivers to Belgium that had 3090 FE's in stock (plus it was roughly € 300 cheaper then the other 3090's), so I was like, screw it... it will probably arrive next week.

https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00391083.html

Still in stock according to their site.

Mufflore likes this.
  4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Thanks @Mufflore and everyone else that buy ridiculously overpriced GPUs for being Nvidia's bi**hes !
    The rest of us thank you from the depths of our hearts for the ever increasing prices across the whole range.
    Looking forward for the day when a GPU will cost $10000 and @Mufflore will buy that one too and be happy about it.
    We all love you so much!

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No problem sweety.

There comes a time when having money is no use if you arent having fun.
    If you could have told me where to buy a decent 3080 you would have a point, but they are simply impossible to get.
    This isnt my doing.

ZXRaziel and TheSissyOfFremont like this.
  6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I would be lying if i said i haven't tried getting 3090 on credit.:D
    Those damn credit checks!:cool::p

jbscotchman likes this.
  7. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    It won’t have the ray tracing that the 3070 does. That’s the downside of getting the older tech, but understandable as the new tech just isn’t available.

I bet it’s equally frustrating for both AMD and NV, so many people saying “ take my $$$”.

Buccellati likes this.
  8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I am in the same boat.

Really want an upgrade for my 1080Ti (sure its still an awesome card but in newer games at 1440p its starting to show its age a little).

I really want a 6800XT but I don't like the reference model (looks wise) so I was hoping for a Asus TUF Gaming or Sapphire Pulse or an XFX Merc but there are nowhere to be seen! Unless you want to buy a £400+ picture off ebay! lol

I would of settled for a 3080 but I am kinda bored of Nvidia after being with them now since I left my trusted HD7970GHz and ray tracing doesn't do much for me and DLSS is in like 3 games it actually works well in. But again 3080's are nowhere to be found.

I have been REALLY close to buying a 6800XT or a 3080 off Ebay (a real one) but the prices are absurd. And I've seen OCUK store has around 20+ RTX3090's in stock............................. BUT THEY ARE £1600!!!!! I've been talking my self out of it, its ABSURD prices for a single piece of hardware they could be outdated within a few months (titan or 3080Ti might match it).

These shortages are just insane, and I am still in a queue for a 5900X at OCUK.... currently in position 650!!! (down from 742 on launch day).

Obviously with what is going on in the world supply chains are currently screwed and no one knows when things will get better. It's a bot/scalpers wet dream. No supply and extreme demand.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I feel your pain.
    Problem is, when the next cards arrive, the demand for them will be just as bad.
    NVidia & AMD both have the same limitation, there is clearly an issue making silicon fast enough.
    The only sane solutions to free your mind are, make good with what you have, get spending or get another hobby. Or maybe get lucky haha :(
    The frustration of attempting to just buy one has knock on effects, I decided life was too short, especially during this pandemic. So I bought what was in shops and am glad I did.
    You will be more fortunate I suspect, it cost me £2600 to jump on this train!!
    As of yesterday, I'm a happy owner of a 10700K, 3090 (and some fast ram on the way) :)

Unfortunately I was forced to replace my 6700K PC cos the 3090 wouldnt let its post finish with a code 53 (memory issue).
    The memory + 3090 works fine in an AMD 3600 rig and in my new Intel rig.
    The problem turned out to be my mobo (Maximus VIII Hero), yet it is still working great with my 1080ti and the same ram, I'm typing this on it.
    Weird! Its not a reported issue anywhere on the web, no cause for alarm.
    (yep, trouble shot the hell out of the 6700K PC, no joy at all with the 3090)

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  10. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I felt the same with my pre order of the Asus TUF 3080 OC 1.5 month and only cancelations in the waiting que I went from 85 to 50 in line and no stock at all. The price was right 800 euro but I cancelled my order and snatched another one from a guy living in my home town for 925 euro brand new in the box even got me the order transcript from Amazon from him. So prob I got Lucky but it feels bad that the prices are still rising as I speak. Any way I'm happy so far hope for people that the stock problem will resolve soon but it prob will be in beginning 2021 I guess.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020

11. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  13. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I bought a used EVGA 980 TI off eBay almost two years ago. A few months later it died but was still under warranty which was transferred to me upon purchase. EVGA sent me a 1080 TI as a replacement which I am still using. I am waiting for the 3080 TI to be released next year and then let the dust settle before ordering one. Patience my friends...patience. This pricing madness cannot last forever.

14. javelina1

javelina1 Guest

GPU:
    3090FE
    I originally wanted a 3080. Been trying the F5 "lottery" for the last 2 months, via my WFH. No luck... Could've gone the scalper route, but "F" those guys! Last week, I saw a 3090FE pop up on Bestbuy, and I impulsed and was able to buy it. I have it installed, and loving it. :)

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Well done getting a way out of this lunatic situ!
    I hope you enjoy it :)

javelina1 likes this.

16. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    its mad on ebay people paying 200 less on bids / scalps for a 3080, just cause they cant find them, i decided to go 3090 for the cash, instead of feeding the scalpers.

17. javelina1

javelina1 Guest

GPU:
    3090FE
    thanks buddy! This 3090FE rocks! and a new Reverb G2 too. Yesterday, I bought Half-Life Alyx, and this GPU/VR combo is just F'ing insane!

pharma and Mufflore like this.
  18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    So you got a 3090 then? Congrats! You're set.

javelina1 likes this.
  19. javelina1

javelina1 Guest

GPU:
    3090FE
    Indeed my man! Not what I wanted in the first place, but I'm gonna keep her! thanks!

pharma and jbscotchman like this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X