Intel still the biggest, but AMD, NVIDIA and TSMC are growing fast

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thunk_It and pharma like this.
  2. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    not good
    Opera Snapshot_2020-11-26_162302_www.guru3d.com.png

3. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I think next Years or even the end of Q1 will make much more interesting reading, compare AMD to Intel 41% compared to 4% the momentum is in the Red camp, Curious though is the Nvidia figure they have gone way past all the others combined very impressive but I assume it includes all the Auto chips as well, Intel are clearly in some big trouble, if it was not for the working from home in 2020 they may even have shrunk volumes with the way AMD is dominating at present

Loobyluggs likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, we know even without chart that AMD sells everything they manage to get from forge.
    But that does not change intel's situation even a bit.
    Intel has production capacity, AMD does not. AMD can take from intel sales equal to their own production, nothing more.

Intel would be dead if AMD had 10 times as big production capacity available. And people can make projection and guess in which year AMD can physically produce enough to take away 1/2 of intel's business. :D

I think that before such thing happens, intel orders tons of chips from TSMC for one reason only. To take away production capacity from AMD.

Embra likes this.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    There is no stopping amd,nvidia and tsmc

amd will continue to grow in the desktop/server and gaming sectors,what we saw from them in 2020 is just an entree
    nvidia has been briilliant in datacenter and continues to expand their whole platform on an incredible scale for a gpu manufacturer.there's no stopping them it seems.
    tsmc has been the chip maker as of the last couple of years.their upcoming nodes are so advanced that if intel doesn't step it up they're dead in the water.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  6. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Do we know if nVidia numbers include Mellanox for this year or not ? (based on the bottom text, it should not be ; but still unsure)
    It brings a little bit more than 600 Millions in Q3 2021 (fiscal year). So if it's been factored in, should be around 1 billion revenue coming from this acquisition this year (on 2 quarters that they've been fully integrated)

Intel's growth is dead, nearly flat. Compared to competitors in the market of course.

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Nope that's just a small amount of people that stated things like that. A lot of people me included responded to such statements with few and admittedly really easy arguments that show such statements are false. This point of view is not by any stretch of the imagination representative of this forum.

8. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Thanks Hilbert for posting this one. What I would add here is; competition is a very good thing!

Loobyluggs likes this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Anyone remembers GloFo? They must be doing something, right? But my memory is bit hazy. I have not seen any news about them for very long time.

mohiuddin likes this.
  10. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Last time i checked they were still tinkering with 12nm fab.

11. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    If you work in Manufacturing and Semiconductors - fill out TSMC's US application for 2021 - they have an open one (like a general one) It just requested my general information from LinkedIn.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    People have to realise that despite being down, Intel still sells tons and tons of products!

We only look at medium to high end hardware, because this is an enthusiast forum after all, but Intel sells a shitload of Core i4, Pentiums, Celerons and Atoms. Yes, they are weak and cheap, but Intel sells tons of them. Just that is enough to make a tidy sum.

Then, they also sell lots of mobile CPU, because they are very competitive in that segment.

Even on the desktop and server market, where others have better products, they still sell lots of stuff becuase there are only 2 or 3 companies selling equivalent products.

And we still have other products like chipsets, Optane and so on.

Basically, Intel is not in their best shape but they are still a giant and will probably remain one for the next years.

HandR likes this.
  13. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    Biggest? Ofcourse its biggest.

By a ton, way ahead.

14. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Many hands in many pies. If you ever are bored look into all of the various global contracting work Intel does with different countries all over the world and the multitude of work that goes into said contracts.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tmsc-is-reportedly-terminating-discounts-and-increasing-prices

So it might be that TSMC is terminating discounts and increasing prices.
    Could be a problem for consumer pricing going forward.

EDIT: Exact figures and such details won't be readily available either and how this discount works, biggest client here is Apple I believe who have already booked a majority (All?) of the initial 5nm fabs if I got that correctly with AMD as the second largest aiming to be the top client and I suppose getting even better deals and the initial pick and such for these things and better allocation as a result.

Might not matter too much for the moment or it could be a problem for hardware pricing in 2021 and on, suppose we'll see.

EDIT: Letting hardware prices come back down and normalize could also be a thing, well theoretically at least ha ha.

RAM incidents, SSD's and now these 7 and 5nm node fabrications used in various tech.
    Let's see what's next!