Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    1 of the changes today is that bosses cant heal during combat

JonasBeckman and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh the game is updating, nice. :)

EDIT:
    https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/84566/assassin-s-creed-valhalla-title-update-1-0-4?lang=en-US

Backstabak and Passus like this.
  3. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    After the update, I did one mission where I had to eliminate everyone in a camp..

Literally every enemy NPC seemed dumber then ever. It seemed I had to force myself to be detected by completely going over the top.

Archer in tower? Run past tower? Nothing.. Climb up tower to the NPC "Oh hey there is a guy here". Nice in one way as camps don't all seem to be using walkie talkies anymore (so far) and the entire camp swarms you all at once like before.. But they are seriously dumb at detecting you..

We'll see how it goes further along. I didn't like it because I literally had to run around the camp following the green markers to find some of the last remaining enemies and this was a relatively small camp.. Maybe taking out the bell ringer guy actually serves a purpose now like in AC Odyssey?

If this is how it's going to be.. Stealth just made a comeback

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  4. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

its fine if you avoid attacks, I've done all 3 witches now and I was 200 levels under the last one.

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Been playing this the last couple of days and overall I really like it. Setting & the whole Viking thing is cool, story seems pretty good so far, however I do think Odyssey beats it for me in a, couple of ways.

I found the main story that bit more engaging, the combat I think was better. Also, I think Odyssey beats it visually too. Particularly draw distance seems pretty poor in Valhalla, which I don't remember noticing in Odyssey. Might reinstall it and compare the two!

6. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Latest patch made it even worse but u gain a bit more fps, i dont like it personally.
    I noticed it straight away that the latest patch downgraded textures and everything is looking more static now then before.

7. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Ok I can confirm now. Stealth approaches definitely work now after the update .

Being seen by just one dude no longer immediately alerts the entire camp to swarm you. It's back to how the previous games worked. You can shoot an oil drum and the guards are now clueless where it came from or why. You can peg off a tower archer and again the rest of the camp is no longer alerted.

I just took out an entire encampment of 20 or so dudes all with stealth and assassination kills

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I attempted to kill her as lvl 40, wasn't even a contest when she two or three shot me. I let her live...for now.

But that Builder fight, f*ck that sh*t. What an annoying boss that in reality is pretty cool and has some cool mechanics. But did they really have to add one unavoidable hit? And seeking projectiles? Cheap AF. I hate fights like that. Should be about dodging at the right moment, learning patterns and stuff and not get HP drained by unavoidable stuff just to make the fight harder. Add more mechanics instead damnit! Anyway, got him after at least 25 attempts @ 70 power but the victory was sour. Also annoying are the stupid unskippable "in-game cinematics" or transitions between phases which get really old after two dozen times.

Great update but unfortunately doesn't solve any of the problems I have, most notably that FPS can suddenly tank during conversations at specific angles, in some caves at specific angles and still that village in Norway. Not too great considering the game otherwise runs at a almost perfect 60fps. Oh and I guess the torch shadow thing is still there?

Great news! I like the stealth part and it was sad having to "reset" aggro all the time due to the slightest of mistakes.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  9. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I was doing that already just with hiding in bushes and luring in 1 by 1 with whistles.

You can make someone leaving a group by throwing a burning torch. The guy checking out the disturbance should be within whistling range and the rest of the group wont care lol

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Dude not cool ! Link to a photo album instead of spamming !

ShadowDuke and Passus like this.

11. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    The screenshot thread here on guru is not here for no reason...

Passus likes this.
  12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    screenshots moved.

Xtreme512 likes this.
  13. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Now that I passed my driving theory I finally got to start, only an hour or two in but visually I'm loving it, except for how dark it is inside, does anyone know of any tweaks for that? (besides increasing the brightness of my monitor of course!).

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the game has this thing for transitions and it goes from extremes especially the Norway segment with the bright snow exteriors and also depending on time of day it's a bit like Odyssey where there's this almost passage like barrier at entrances particularly caves for effect.
    Torches help, thankfully the safety regulations of the early 900's improved over what the antiquity had and only certain straw roofs now properly burn and even then it's just for visual effect you can't torch entire areas like a "missed" fire arrow could in Origins.
    (You can actually just aim fire at things or pass by with the torch and "oops" it's actually still around but toned down in the two other games since.)

Which is really good when there's these ancient clay Molotov jars everywhere, absolutely everywhere and usually within distance of where one is required because people barricade their homes to the extreme.
    Having to go back up into some opening or the roof or open window to get at the latch or these stone blockades you have to use ancient Egyptian->Greek->Viking era jars of explosiveness on said obstruction.

Grimbarian likes this.
  15. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Funny... I wasn't finding the audio too compressed until the last patch, now it's crunched really hard...

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Patch hasn't been too problematic so far but yeah the audio quality is noticeable and the duplicate items are still there plus the game constantly reminds me I picked up a new quest...when I pick up a new quest.
    Should at most be a one-time tutorial notification but even that feels insulting but that's what happens I guess wherever they found focus testers that had issues with that and needed to cater for this.

[​IMG]
    Overall asset quality and animations are all over the place and the characters get even weirder and more uncanny when it's a completely random NPC character sometimes several all grouped up or even inside one another clipping everywhere. :p

EDIT: Other than inconsistent design and visual quality plus the known audio compression issues it's so far only been minor bugs, annoyances but nothing requiring reloading a game or even a auto save from longer back. (Sorta, you only get a few and it auto saves constantly though there's quest saves and such that can help if you don't have a manual save from a ways ago if it comes to needing to redo stuff entirely.)

kx11 likes this.
  17. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    So I have the quest "More Intel" and I'm told to speak to Ranvi about Winchestre. Yet no dialog is available about it or is Winchestre on the alliance map. What am I missing here?

18. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
  19. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Couple of early annoyances for me:

Can't turn off the permanent dot without losing the bow crosshair (workaround is turn it off then crouch when you want to use the bow).

and the other one, you have to click upgrade on each piece of armour to see the potential upgrade, why can't that be permanently shown so we can quickly check through the armour pieces and choose what we want to upgrade instead of having to select each one then click the upgrade button to see the numbers then hold down the button to actually do the upgrade?

20. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Bah, can't complete viking for hire, unable to start conversation with reda as no button prompt shows up