Destiny 2 artifacting

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fluidz, Nov 25, 2020.

1. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Anyone seen this happen? Is my card going bad?

Animated Gif - ezgif-6-791f48fcd8c8 — ImgBB (ibb.co)

Cape flickers across the screen / gets stuck in one place. In this video it is affecting both my Titan and a warlock player. It sometimes happens when the character walks over the grates at The Tower. This only started to happen recently, up until then I had never seen it happen in the 2+ years I have played D2. Sometimes it takes a while before it starts to happen, and may involve going to Orbit then returning to the Tower.

Troubleshooting, I have tried (which failed) :

- Switched Nvidia driver, 457.09 and 459.30 (after using DDU in safe mode)

- Checking the gpu temp (shows max 65c)

- Installed Msi Afterburner, set the cpu core, memory and power limit to their lowest value

- Re-seated the card in the pci-16x slot

- Re-seated the 12v rail wires connected to the graphics card (I'm using two wires)

- Enabled/Disabled HAGS

- Checked to see that Destiny 2 settings are default in the Nvidia control panel

- Turned on/off Gsync

- Deleted the Cvars.xml (so it creates a new one)

- Toggled the graphic settings to high/low preset.

- Set low latency mode to 0 in the cvars.xml (disables nvidia reflex)

- Uninstalled Nvidia Overlay/Geforce Experience

- Disabled Nvidia Shadow cache

- Set fans to 100% in afterburner

I ran Unique Heaven on max settings for at least an hour and saw no artifacting, but have seen occasional stutters.

Pc Spec : Cpu : Ryzen 3700x, Gpu : Msi trio x 2080ti, Motherboard : B450 Mortar Max, Ram : 2 x Crucial Ballistix sport (I tried enabling/disabling xmp), Storage : Crucial SSD, Os : Windows 10 20h2 19042.630

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    fluidz likes this.
  3. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Thanks for the link. That thread dates back to 2017, I've been playing this game for equally as long so I'm confused why I haven't seen this issue until now. Its not the first time i've spent time dancing horizontally at spawn (I usually do it to check for framerate stuttering) :/

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  4. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Seems to be in-game related.

fluidz likes this.
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why do you say "artifacting"? That`s just gusts of wind! :confused:

fluidz likes this.
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No, it's just a cape glitch, sometimes it disappears too.. don't worry about it it's game engine fault.

fluidz likes this.
  8. Outcasst

Outcasst Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Destiny's capes have never worked, especially with hunters. Nothing to worry about here.

fluidz likes this.
  9. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    Capes use to glitch crazy all the time it's not as bad now but it still does it. Sometimes it would just fly off someone and they would be capeless lol

fluidz likes this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that's just an example of a bad way to make a cape look in motion.

why wouldn't it ? shadows are dynamic.

fluidz likes this.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What Im more upset is very bad performance after latest DLC & new lighting.

I literally lost 20-30fps on average and that is a lot in something like EDZ Trostland and Tangled Shore (now barely get 50-60fps by spawn points), Tower also.

Imo they did a terrible job, hopefully they will fix this mess or maybe nv needs some optimizations for it too. Someone with AMD said when he went to a much older driver he got some of the boost back, but not with latest driver.

12. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah performance took a hit.. I ended up turning off Nvidia Reflex and that helped a bit. Also forced Gsync+Vsync in the Nvidia control panel and disabled Vsync in game seems to perform better than using the in-game settings for Vsync.

Ever since they lost support from Vicarious Visions who actually did the original PC Port of Destiny 2 when they were under Activision it's been on a steady decline in performance! I know back around Forsaken's release there was some performance issues and they had Vicarious Visions jump in and fix up some issues which resolved the performance problems back then.

Sadly I don't think Bungie has a lot of in-house PC development experience so I don't hold much hope they will get it significantly improved unless they can hire more developers with PC development experience.

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Nah, they first need to know what they are wanting to achieve with the story first and foremost. No one makes it off the other planets but Anna Bray. There is no explanation for it either. Warmind cells are still a thing even thought Rasputin was toasted (not complaining, love those things). They mess up the story by trying to inject some nonsense of who Banshee really is. Some random none ghost like thing resurrects Ulden who knows nothing of Cayde's murder. Story wise it is a mess. New raid is fun; mechanics heavy but fun.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    A post for vault of fail thread:

I decided to try Destiny 2 right after the moment they removed the (legacy) campaigns!
    I do not play multiplayer games, so to say I was disappointed is to say nothing.
    But there is something attractive in cooperative gameplay. Bad thing is I have to learn about mechanics in game by browsing Wikis and forums.