Guru3D Content Reviews: AMD Radeon RX 6800 and 6800 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I want to see who saves most once nvidia has an auto undervolt feature.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'm more interested in temp changes that under-volting may bring.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Let us not forget that for the time being Nvidia is stuck with a horrible node just because they're greedy about it the stupid way.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    We don't really know that. Or how and why NV went for both Samsung and TSMC.

We know that TSMC has its 7nm capacity stretched. It's not like AMD is not suffering from capacity issues.
    Besides it looked damn smart to use 14/12nm on Turing, while AMD struggled with 7nm teething probs, didn't have (couldn't build?) big die and was unable to utilize 7nm to leapfrog Turing's 14nm.

NV going Samsung to save few bucks, or TSMC punishing NV (for what? staying on TSMCs 12nm?) - none of that makes much sense tbh.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Would you really rather nvidia be in 7nm TSMC, cluttering up what is already in short supply due to AMD, 3000/4000 CPU, 5000 CPU, 5000 GPU, 6000 GPU, Xbox one S/X, PS5 and various other products TSMC has booked for 7nm?

If you'd like for the shortage from both AMD and nvidia to be that much more constrained, by all means, be upset nvidia went with samsung.

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well it's not horrible. It's just worse then TSMC 7nm. It is better then the 12nm for sure tho.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Good performance from AMD. Let's hope that this trend continues. The only minor downfall is that AMD is lacking an additional display output that they dropped and replaced with a USB-C connector which could cause problems for users who run 3 DP monitors because they would need a DP to HDMI adaptor added in there. Other than that AMD has done a pretty good job here. Let's hope that AMD can keep up the good work lately on their drivers since in the past it took them like 6 months to fix some major issues with their cards.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Some cards have 3xDP+HDMI.
    And those which have USB-C have it capable to send out display data.

Fender178 likes this.
  9. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Get a load of this bad boy:

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats insane indeed. Cant wait to see 6900xt 2.7ghz. :D

The choice of games tested are awful though.

jura11 likes this.

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Same here, Really interested in the 6900 XT.

Granted, the RT performance is not to par with nvidia, but everyone has to be aware that, AMD is relatively new to Ray-Tracing, not only that, the new Big Navi Gpu's don't even have a dedicated Tensor/RT cores for that matter, all done through the CU's Compute Units.

Showing off like 2080ti performance in RT, that's actually very good, considering still new and don't even have a dedicated RT cores for that matter, so yes, very impressive, RT segment, Give it awhile or so, AMD will catch up rather quickly.

Would be interested to see but not going to happen:

Ampere gpu's vs Amd 6xxx series, RT performance while Nvidia's RT cores being disabled, Just straight through the Cuda cores themselves, now we are talking a even match in the RT dept., again, not going to happen anyways.

Rather interesting, kinda off topic, take a look at this link:

https://www.techjunkies.nl/2019/09/17/does-nvidia-rtx-work-well-on-a-gtx-1080-ti/

Here is BF V Results on our site, scroll down to the RT section:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/xfx_radeon_rx_6800_xt_speedster_319_review,12.html

On some games, the RTX 3090 was tested(Benchmark), it showed almost 3 times the performance of a 1080ti, but again, totally different gpu's. Still, you can use the above links as reference, even though it doesn't mean anything at all, still though, Absolutely, Interesting stuff here folks.

I see great potential out of the Big Navi, but yes, 6900 XT is the one we all been waiting for, can't wait to see results on that bad boy.

EDIT: NM, AMD had a thing called Ray Accelerators that's within the CU(Compute Units), my bad. Still its their first generation in RT, so gonna be some time to improve, which they will.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    PrMinisterGR, Undying and jura11 like this.
  12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That wouldn't be a core vs core comparison. You'd need to turn RT processing off on both to actually compare, which isn't very exciting.

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Question, never owned the RTX 2xxx/3xxx series,

Is there a way to shut off the RT cores themselves and process Realtime RT through Cuda Cores?

Never really asked till now.

Cause if possible, would love to see testing results, I don't think there is any.

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I would've thought any RT benchmark that doesn't support DX:R would work.

15. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    I want that Red Devil,so I went to buy it lol it was more expensive then all 3 RTX 3080 cards I had. There was none in stock and there not even listing the cards on websites.

16. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Well,in 2000 Amd beat Intel with World 1st 1 GHz Athlon Cpu.
    Now,in 2020 or 2021 Amd can beat Nvidia with World 1st 3 Ghz Radeon GPU.Amazing tech. ;)

17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I think they were the 1st ones to introduce PCI-E as well, ATI and some other company if I was not mistaken. They were the wavefront during those times.

Agreed, Very Sick Speeds or VSP!!

EDIT ON PCI-E:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

I did remember a LONG time ago on ATI site, Introduction to PCI-E along with other company, been to long to remember.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Turanis likes this.
  18. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    AMD has really good HW engineering and they need to beef up their SW team, which has done an amazing job despite obvious difference in budgets. That Red Devil is way awesome.

I want to see the 6900XT Red Devil and make it available for people who want to buy one!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    PrMinisterGR likes this.
  19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Just noticed the more expensive 6800 xts have a full backplate. The cheaper ones have an open section...so you need to pay the extra £25-50 for a full backplate. Seems a bit cheap but with everything have seen with the inflated pricing nothing comes as a surprise.

What next black screens and driver issues? Grabs popcorn and rum sits back and waits haha.

p.s the 6800 actually looks like an interesting gpu based off some benchmarks esp if you get one that overclocks well.

And on a side note gonna see how my ageing rig can handle RDR2. Gonna post a few pics which could be interesting or make me cry!

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I have 6800 Sapphire . And my clocks are totally different to those in the review . My card normaly boosts and holds clock around 2320 mhz (games furmark doesnt matter , under full load) , how come in the review it is 2100 ? In overclocking section you mention only 2304 Mhz overclock , this is below my NORMAL highest sustained clock.

My sample boosts 2560Mhz, this is maximum clock that radeon software allows ( says 2600Mhz but it is 2530-2560 ).

Can someone explain why such a difference ? Benchmark results would be quite different with my card ?