GeForce RTX 3000 shortages could last for several months

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They expected to sell like.. 1000-2000 cards in the entire world? Remove the bribes... hem the "gift" to the so colled "youtuber", remove some failure samples.. that's not a nice expectation of sell for a multi-billion tech company.

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I'm glad as long as i can get my hands on a 6800 xt,i've been a long time nvidia fan,my only amd card was a placeholder 5770.But i want to give AMD a try and it seems now is the perfect time.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    BS. I estimated 1st quarter 2021 myself. Now this dude has spoken, I'm pushing it out to mid 2021 at the earliest, with the potential for this to go on into the 3rd quarter.

I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year we're still looking at exactly the same products overall. Any new product launches would be completely pointless with no availability.

The1 likes this.
  4. sam640

sam640 Member

GPU:
    GTX-1070
    Wasn't one of the reasons they went with Samsung, the production capacity?
    besides the price I mean.

5. demented brave

demented brave Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090
    I happened to see an EVGA 3090 model in stock while refreshing newegg and was tempted to buy it. It was the $1800+ model though so totally not worth it. Just did a shunt mod on my 2080ti and that can handle any game just fine. Depending on how cyberpunk runs I will be more or less tempted to upgrade.

6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Can we stop with the conspiracy theories?

schmidtbag likes this.
  7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    it is not a conspiracy. many shitubers get them as gift, while a lot of review sites, even of medium and big size, have to send them back after a short time the have for the review. And this is a fact. Tech companies now care more about video "reviews" than in-depth analysis specialized tech-sites. For small sites it even worse. Youtube has become a big free advertising site for tech companies. And please, note I wrote "tech companies", not "NVIDIA only".

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I donĀ“t like scalpers but they only exist because people are stupid enough to pay what they ask. This is not a problem that politicians should waste time, specially when there are much more important matters to attend.

9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    I can read. I can also read that you are subscribing to the idea that these things are all bribes and that there's a massive problem. If you can point to something as evidence of this being an ongoing thing today, please do so. And maybe, you know, take some of that edge off. You're like to cut yourself.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its been annoying and concerning not being able to get a card for over 2 months.
    I had it all planned, Cyberpunk 2077 to be played at highest quality from the start, have a whole loada fun.
    But its been truly dismal seeing exactly zero cards in stock from day 1 and hearing nothing at all about my pre-orders progress!

Last week I read in the forum that some UK shops had 3090s in stock and thought about it for a bit.
    Is it really worth spending that much for PC gaming?
    I reasoned the card would be around 10 to 15% faster than the 3080 which makes it feasible to keep it for 4 years instead of 2.
    And the price over the 4 years period is almost the same, ... so I bought a good one.
    And boy do I feel good about it, everything is solved, no more rat race for 4 years and a wicked card is on the way.

Think about it guys, you might be able to actually get a 3090!!

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yes, it's a conspiracy. There's confirmation bias written all over your ridiculous claims. Where's your proof? It's not a fact just because you claim it is.
    Many "shitubers" don't get to keep the product either. Many of them have in-depth reviews too. Just because it's a video, doesn't mean it isn't comprehensive.
    You just sound like a grumpy old man who likes to accuse things unfamiliar to you as the source of all your problems.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    sykozis, mentor07825 and AlmondMan like this.
  12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    You should've just waited :) Cyberpunk will be a better game in a year's time after launch.

Then you can also get an even better GPU to play it on. Just chill - it's all good.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yeah, I've read study that people started to consume more alcohol at home. No surprise with closed pubs.
    But same study revealed that more people are getting addicted.
    My average beer intake is like one per week. Before, it was like 2~5 as I always order beer in restaurant when I order food that is traditionally accompanied by beer to enhance flavors.

But it is real problem on some places. Because one of games I play thrown me questionare about mental health. Mental health history. If I had troubles before virus and if I started to have troubles in time of virus.
    It even contained question like: Is gaming community more toxic.
    Do you use voice communication more or less often than before.
    Do you feel being bullied online.
    (I kind of laughed on some of those questions, but I understand why they did ask.)

Problem is that most of games I play are multiplayer and I prefer heated competition. They are always more or less toxic. Can't care less.
    - - - -
    And I can understand that being locked at home makes people more vulnerable. I can say that I keep myself healthy as I can. But...
    5 days I work. Some days I cook. Weekend gaming. Last month is no different from this month. Easy to lose track of time.

And when everything seems same and uneventful, people with worse mental resiliency could easily fall to drugs. Or go mad. Or fall to depressions.
    Everyone knows that xmas and new years comes with sad events where some people log-off. This year, it may be worse than ever.

In a way, lockdowns could cause more long term health and life expectancy damage than virus itself. Uncontrolled = disaster. Too much control = disaster.
    Our country went on hard control at start. Then we went into no control mode. And now... all the control you can have. Till few days before xmas when current quarantine should end.
    (Bad idea in my book. A lot of crazy people will go out.)

14. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I can't imagine it being that bad personally. Gonna be available before then I'm sure, couldn't fathom it being that bad.

15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Only 10-15% will not allow you to extend from 2yrs to 4yrs, but the increased VRAM might allow this. 10-15% increase is nothing, not even significant, which is why the 3090 only makes sense for the extra VRAM in my eyes. I've bought the 3080 (and waiting for it to arrive eventually), but I'm on 1080p screen resolution, so I'm OK with the only 10GB VRAM.....for me this can be a long term keeper I predict, but if you're on of 4K you want the extra VRAM of the 3090 (maybe even with 1440p if you consider years of use).

Fox2232 likes this.

16. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Since the prices skyrocketed in the last 3 - 4 years (since the crypto-mining craze), it's possible that underground also recognized a nice potential to launder money in this way.
    Have an IT store as a front, buy tons of expensive GPUs and "sell" them with 60-70% higher price. Voila, clean money, while the GPUs are probably crushed somewhere in the dumpster...

Also, PC gaming is a joke, everyone and their grandma trying to squeeze $$ from gamers.
    Honestly, everyone chasing the latest and greatest is just throwing money down the drain... But everyone is free to do what they want with their money, so /rant-off

mezball likes this.
  17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    At first I was mad, but now I'm just ok with the thought really. I mean the only thing that could make all of this worse is if my 1080Ti would suddenly decide to die on me ... shouldn't have said that, now I jinxed it.

The most "funny" part of all this fiasco is that MSRP price ranged reference cards will be 100% impossible to buy, unless over-overpriced from scalpers and that etailers will have the fancy more expensive custom cards more readily available before the shortage is over. So no matter what, better get that $$$ ready. :oops:

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol, it will be fine. 10 to 15% is plenty significant.
    I am thrilled with my purchase.

19. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    thank god I managed to grub an ASUS 3080 TUF OC + 5950x before Cyberpunk....

tunejunky likes this.
  20. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    Unpopular opinion, but the issue are not the scalpers, the issue is that the demand of the hardware in 2020 is higher than the units planned.

If you kill all the scalpers before launch day you will still have a shortage. Not just in online stores, but also in the second hand market (where you can find a scalper card at much higher price).

This should be fixed with more gpus arriving. All the scalpers gpu's price will drop drastically once the demand is satisfied properly.

People who are paying extra money to get a card, don't care about the money, at least not at these levels. The card will depreciate quicker for them. But that's not our issue.

Nvidia and AMD could had released these GPUs at a more expensive price tag and still sold out all of them, then drop the price in 2021 when they finally got more units (to prevent overstocking).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.