Nvidia shows signs ...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pharma, Sep 17, 2018.

1. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    "Justice" is adding RTX Global Illumination to complement the real-time ray-traced solutions currently in the game (reflections, shadows and caustics). The difference here is they will be using the RTXGI SDK or RTXGI UE4 plugin which supports the Windows DXR API for DirectX12.

They also mention it will be the first game to use NVIDIA RTX Global Illumination lighting, so wonder if there is a performance improvement from using the RTXGI sdk and Ampere's second gen RT cores.
    November 9, 2020

https://news.developer.nvidia.com/justice-adds-nvidia-rtx-global-illumination-expanding-its-roster-of-ray-traced-effects/

2. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Rumor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Official Performance Benchmarks Leak Out, Faster Than RTX 2080 SUPER in Gaming, Ray Tracing & Creation

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-official-benchmarks-leak-out-faster-than-rtx-2080-super/

Maddness and Noisiv like this.
  3. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    War Thunder gets DLSS updates
    November 17, 2020

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    waiting for my 3080

[​IMG]

extremely underappreciated cyberpunk game.
    can't wait to replay.

endbase, Maddness and pharma like this.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Works great in War Thunder. One of the best so far. Comparable with 4xSSAA with 2-3x times better performance.

IQ wise, and this purely subjective, but something like FXAA<=TAA<<HQ TAA<=Q.DLSS<=4xSSAA
    HQ TAA is very good as well, roughly 30% slower than Quality DLSS.

pharma likes this.
  6. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    So big discrepancy between AMD's internal pre-launch benchmarks and actual performance results from 17 reviews. No surprises that review dates and launch date coincided.

[​IMG]

https://www.3dcenter.org/news/radeon-rx-6800-xt-launchreviews-die-testresultate-zur-ultrahd4k-performance-im-ueberblick

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    :D Confirming what i said about the AMD slides being suspiciously wrong.

8. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    November 19, 2020

Maddness and DannyD like this.
  9. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm so buzzed for Cyberpunk 2077, I've got my card and i'm raring to go. Bring it on.

Noisiv, pharma and endbase like this.
  10. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Nvidia sales and earnings hit records as videogame and server chips surge

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nvidia-sales-and-profit-hit-records-as-videogame-and-server-chips-surge-11605735691

Noisiv likes this.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    srsyl wth... gaming up 37% from the record high previous quarter?

and don't give me RTX 3000 had nothing to do with it. rly? who the hell buys RTX 2080 during or in the face of 3000 launch.

so it seems that there was no conspiracy after all, and that those reports alleging unprecedented demand and more traffic during 3000 launch than during entire Black Friday might have been true after all.

pharma likes this.
  12. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It looks that way doesn't it. I really do think the demand has just outweighed the supply. To many people love conspiracy theories. It really comes down to the state in which the world finds itself in.

Noisiv and pharma like this.
  13. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    A friend in Europe had no problem securing an Asus 3070 Dual OC from ebuyer, a lesser known retailer that is mostly used by small and medium companies to buy equipment of.
    They seem to be getting some stock everyday from a month after RTX3080 release. They don't do queues though, so potential buyers better keep refreshing the page. Right now they have some RTX 3090's available.
    https://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=3090
    Additionally he knew several OCUK customers cancel their orders and get them from Germany since German shops seemed to have frequent supply.

Video card inventories were sufficient to meet and sustain a 37% quarterly revenue increase in booked video card sales, so Nvidia exceeded it's inventory objectives for the quarter. Prices for Turing products on Newegg and Amazon really have not dropped that much to justify purchases over Ampere products, and 2nd hand sales don't contribute to Nvidia's bottom line.

No conspiracy about supply, demand was definitely the greatest for a product launch. Nvidia also had a lot more small to medium sized e-retailers selling cards than in the past (perhaps due to Covid-19) which fueled supply issues if buying from a major retailer.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Noisiv likes this.
  14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    November 20, 2020

Love the far draw distances .... that's one thing I dislike about console games that's usually included in "optimizing".

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Noisiv likes this.
  15. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    tired of waiting for ampere,checked the listings for used 2080Ti and wowzers,I managed to get a 2080Ti Lightninz Z for a really nice price :D
    damn,I always wanted a lightning card.my hands are shaking from excitement
    what a beauty

[​IMG]

serbicu, Maddness, tfam26 and 4 others like this.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    grats on the new hardware, it's always fun to play with new stuff.

Still remember my 580 Lightning XE (3GB instead of 1.5GB VRAM), I literally played that card until it was done (didn't fancy baking it but it got artefacts by the time I replaced it)

17. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Well, the line between conspiracy and "marketing" has become extremely thin in 2020 and I assume it will become all but non existent in the coming decade with the data sales religion and administrative AI doing everyones jobs for them.

(cue X-Files theme)

My questions are: Is it a conspiracy to create a intentional demand and shortage for your GPUs when gaming is on everyones minds? On the other hand, could it also be that everyones on lunch mentally in the production array and making excuses due to the coof? Because most of these folks werent social distortioning before this whole thing... real big transition here "working from home" for a lot of these chaps. Must have thrown a huge wrench into the whole "process". (lurl)

Either way, when youre doubling down by getting rid of backup stock of 10/20 series without any kind of real discount and targeting impulse buyers like never before (which is, lets say, a large part of the PC market) , you and your retailers arent looking a gift horse in the mouth, intentional or not.

The sky is the limit and it also seems kind of moot when youre in bed with NASA's 50 million $ a day budget.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2020
  18. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  19. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Cyberpunk 2077 Will Reportedly Offer 170+ Hours of Gameplay
    Cyberpunk 2077 Will Reportedly Offer 170+ Hours of Gameplay (wccftech.com)

Maddness likes this.
  20. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    These comments are based on discussions between Alex @digital Foundry and developers regarding Ray Tracing on consoles and desktop.
    Definitely explains a lot about why certain IHV's ray tracing abilities are slower and require more optimizing. Also, opposed to common thought there are many "black boxes" out there with regard to this tech that do not necessary adhere to DXR 12 guidelines.

"Here is what I have heard and seen direct documentation of the Next Gen console SDK environments.
    Xbox Series X and PS5 actually do offer DXR equivalents to work with - which are just black boxes just like DXR 1.0 are and 1.1 are. From what I know already, a big name game on Playstation will/has/have had shipped using the DXR equivalent on Playstation 5 with good results (some might even say great results). It makes a lot of sense to offer such a DXR like api for RT for Xbox and Playstation as they want RT to be easy to implement and cross-platform.

The thing that consoles have that are different in terms of "low level" ray tracing beyond DXR is the ability to load up an offline bvh for static things and the ability to write your own traversal code. Unlike NV hardware (turing, ampere) which does Traversal in the RT core (and accelerates it substantially), the traversal on RDNA chips is done on the CUs, competing for compute resources but it is subsequently programmable. The traversal kernel is provided in an opaque DXR like way on both Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X (although there will be difference here in how quick traversal kernel is as Sony and Xbox wrote different ones as their default ones), but a developer can also to go "to the metal" and elect to write their own traversal kernel for their own game should they want to. So you could make a different level of BVH depth if you wanted on console or other custom things - something not at all provided in DXR. On the PC side, AMD is having their own traversal kernel in the AMD driver and cannot be accessed in DXR. Nvidia is doing what ever the heck Nvidia is doing there in hardware on the RT core.

There is a bit of a double edged sword to what Yuriy is mentioning there regarding the greater programmability - as the programmability is coming at the expense of acceleration in hardware to a degree on AMD. Yes, there is more control with the ability to write your own traversal on consoles here vs. DXR spec. A custom traversal kernel *can* have the advantage on a per application manner depending how quick the original default traversal kernel provided by Sony or MS are in that same use case. Though I now know of at least 2 developers that have used the default sony traversal kernel as they thought it was great as is. But at the same time it is about optimising something running on that is *slower* on AMD hardware and competes for resources precisely because AMD is not hardware accelerating it like Nvidia is. On the NV side, you are not writing your own traversal due to DXR but also, would you really need or want to if it is being hardware accelerated anyway and is faster?

That is the way I have come to understand this from developer discussions and looking at the behind the scene documents."

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Noisiv likes this.