Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I think we all favor different climates in the back of your minds. Therefore some games look prettier to us than others.

I love tropical locations and deserts for instance, like in AC Origins above. But i'm okay with AC Valhalla looking dark and foggy because that is just England.

Passus likes this.
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yep.

As a Finn whenever I see a high poly count / high texture resolution birch, spruce or pine tree I go all "oooohh, fancy!" :D

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Dark and foggy looks great in valhalla, actually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The issue is the transitional period, where there is no active lighting from either the sun or moon, where the game looks super bland, and it's like 1/4 of the time in this game - that would have been fixed by having baked lighting, instead of dynamic lighting as in Unity. Ofc they could also just shorten the transition period drastically, and make day cycle much longer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Xtreme512 and JonasBeckman like this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the lack of a proper main light source with the sun or moon doesn't hold up as well and the game and it's various regions cycle through a number of color palettes and stylized effects but they all have that reliance on lighting.
    Guess that's where the usage of ray traced global illumination to enhanced indirect lighting could make a real difference problem is I am not entirely sure the new consoles can run this without significant sacrifices or shortcuts even with dynamic resolution scaling and targeting 30 FPS. (Still early though, Watch_Dogs Legion shows how much they changed just for reflections but it's not a conclusive test on it's own.)

Cutscenes also pulls the usual spotlight and shadow effects so when you go into full cinematic mode during major events or conversations there's the usual transition although the close-ups also highlights some of the texturing and post-process issues.
    Really going to be interesting to see just how they can push the new generation of games once support for the older consoles are less of a concern. :)

Ray tracing is there too but still early and in limited support plus various compromises and covering only certain effects good as that is for a real-time implementation there's more that can be done but not just yet.

Dragam1337 likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Not a huge fan of there being almost no clouds when it starts raining :p I know there can be real weather like this but sometimes I just wish the sky could be filled with grey clouds and then proper showers.

I've only found some silver weapons at vendors so far :) But you're right about leather/ore, that can come in handy for sure.

Daum, 90hrs and just 60%? I was slightly hoping for a shorter AC game. Odyssey was almost overwhelming with that 100-150hr target and huge landmass. Felt like the England map was smaller but looks like I'm mistaken.

Good point, I didn't know that. I'll have to raid more to get Raw Materials, something which I'm often lacking since Supplies are plentiful in chests all over the world.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Imo raytracing just isn't feasible - way too big performance hit for what it provides. Imo the best solution is still baked lighting. Then lighting looks superb without being nearly as performance intensive :)

Serotonin likes this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I've actually had that thought aswell ! I've seen it like really dark and pour down a couple of times, but most often it is raining from a sunny sky.

Regarding the weapons, you gotta remember that all weapons can be upgraded to mythical - so it's not about what quality they have, but rather the weapon type, allegiance and effects :)

Passus and Netherwind like this.
  8. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

@JonasBeckman

The audio is so bad in this had me thinking my reciever was dying the first time I fired the game up. I know they were kind of touting all the language packs etc... maybe they uploaded the wrong files like some older versions of the audio that never went to QA??

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Interesting points the sound engineer who responded comes with though... likely boils down to memory constraints on the old consoles, and then they only bothered making one set of audio assets... which are then shite 70 kbps quality, to fit within the ram on base xbox one (it honestly should have just been burried when the xbox one x launched).

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I agree that the current solution, albeit colorful, is the best solution for this game. I personally think the "global lightning" looks better here than a lot of other games.

Right, easy to forget that. This is not a lootfest like in Odyssey :)

11. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    When you arrive in England do you have the ability to free roam anywhere on the map? Or do you have to do one or two quests first? I'm still in Norway stuck on a bugged quest A Cruel Destiny where the opening cutscene in the quest will not finish. A patch may fix it though.

12. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I haven't tried it, but I cant see anything that would prevent it - you kind of do one county after another, but that's just the main story quest unlocks.

13. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Yes you can but you will likely run into something nasty and die

there are plenty of unexpected events around

14. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    @Netherwind
    Completionist. :D
    I did all world events (blue dots) and almost everything else, like treasures, artifacts.

Netherwind and Passus like this.
  15. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Yes. My normal routine in any AC game before I really start quests is to knock off most of the synchronization points which involves some pretty hefty manual map travelling.

I do this so once I start the quests I can fast travel closest to where the marker is

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Argh, I cannot help myself to try finding everything like you :D But the limit goes to normal chests, that's not worth the time so far.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

It all makes sense now...

18. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Lol. Why did nobody call out GOW for being a Skyrim copy?

It's not like certain games block certain settings for all future games is it?

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    there is also a load of far cry 5/new dawn in there I noticed too with the fishing and the same base building

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    And then Reda sent me to kill a target who had done something really terrible.
    [​IMG]

Nice...kill the target dummy a few meters to the side.

Well suppose that for Reda it really was the last straw. :D