Guru3D Content Reviews: AMD Radeon RX 6800 and 6800 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Cherrypicked game sponsored by AMD where RTX 3090 result compared to 2080Ti is rather unusually small.

2. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    ------------------------

Yup, exactly my thoughts (and no the last console I owned was a NES when I was 6)

3. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT

Level1Techs

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    GPUs and CPUs are all pretty much neck and neck now. I can't remember the last time that was true. The 2nd Bush term?

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yeah noticed that. Also think its silly to use ray tracing as a generic term that applies equally to all games that use some form of it. Some forms of RT are light on resources (shadows) while others are crippling (global illumination). Apparently Dirt 5 uses shadows, but something else is going on thats crippling perf for Nvidia and giving AMD an edge.

Pretty sure they did something to gimp Nvidia purposely here (like what Nv often did to them) :p.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    No, its really not. Poorly coded game from a franchise that has gone to hell a long time ago.

AuerX and Loobyluggs like this.
  7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    They are anyway in Canada. Hard to have an apple for apple comparison right now because there's not many models of the rx 6800xt available but on Newegg.ca the base models of the RX 6800XT are sold at 859.99$ (all out of stock). The cheapest RTX 3080 is 999$ (all out of stock). That's a pretty significant difference in Canada i would say. Obviously the non reference models of the RX 6800 XT will be more expensive but they should be around 899$ for the cheapest ones which would still be 100$ cheaper (115$ after taxes).

The streaming features are nice but are they better than OBS (genuinely asking i'm not streaming)? Pretty much every streamers i follow use OBS despite owning a nVidia card. The big missing feature on AMD side is GPU scaling with sharpening combined into one easy to use feature giving close to native resolution result (DLSS without the marketing name). Obviously ray tracing performance too but i'm still curious to see the ray tracing performance with next gen games in 2021 the current games were not optimized for AMD at all.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    True.

That engine pre-dates the original 'Race Driver: Grid'.

I do wonder what state something as archaic as the 'Frostbite' engine is in anno 2020, and await to see what the feedback will be from partners of DICE/EA over the next few years...

jbscotchman likes this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This. EA, Ubisoft, and all the big names need a total makeover. Unreal so far is the only company doing it right imo.

Also, why does this dumbass that I've never heard of have two cards?

10. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    you know why there are no cards? All the bloody reviewers have them! This guy is plain boring

jbscotchman likes this.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    55 seconds in he says he's got bots :D

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    "313K subscribers"

Please leave before you shame yourself even more.

L1T is an old channel dedicated to Linux stuff, but also hardware reviews. Sure, it's no LinusTechTips, but "never heard of" is only your problem buddy !

AlmondMan and ZXRaziel like this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    And my life will go on not giving a rat's ass about this guy..

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Let's stop gating on content creators here, and focus on the 6800 and 6800xt please. Calm it down.

ZXRaziel and Fox2232 like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    :D Even I pay attention to what Wendall has to say when it comes to CPU and OS behavior.

HandR, AlmondMan and AuerX like this.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Doesn't matter, because YouTube has just made a monumental change to the terms of service for 'creators' and he, is basically screwed :)

jbscotchman likes this.
  17. JoeyR

JoeyR Member

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 980Ti's
    Awesome review Hilbert, thanks for the hard work. Man AMD is finally starting to hit some home runs which was really needed. I have to quote you on your concluding page " I mean, even for us true hardcore PC gamers, it's getting more and more difficult to explain why people should put down this much money to be able to play computer games on a PC. I mean the spread is $999 for the 6900 XT, $649 for the 6800, and $579 for the cheapest 6800 model. Sure you can game at Ultra HD and get 16GB of GDDR6 memory but with the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony in mind sitting at a 500 USD marker for their GPU, CPU, Storage, and hey the console as a package we are getting more and more uncomfortable about the price levels for graphics cards." <-----------This. I've been saying it more and more, and I am truly thankful that you and others are starting to give a little push back. Anyone who has been a PC gamer for more than 10-20 years should really find the prices of GPU's bothersome. While yes, technology has come leaps and bounds in the past couple decades, we're still buying these GPU's expecting them to do the same damn thing; play video games. We're now paying $150 more for a second tier card, then you could buy a top tier card for(excluding dual GPU cards) 10 years ago. as for the $1000 cards .....gosh you don't even get a 2 GPU PCB anymore. PC gaming is becoming more and more of just a fad. With how we no longer even own our video games, and youth seem to be more into watching/streaming others playing video games, It makes me fear for the future. perhaps I'm just too old school at this point, and been around the scene too long.

Ending my comment on a good note however, if anything is to help the GPU industry and pricing, it's good competition. And AMD is really really starting to become truly good alternative to Nvidia at this point. Time will only tell, but it sure would be nice to see AMD steal more of the market and drive prices back down over the course of a couple years. Thanks again Hilbert, always love coming here for content.

ZXRaziel, icedman and jbscotchman like this.
  18. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn Any chance you can do some tests with the driver setting for quiet mode you know versus rage mode? Mostly interested in noise, power draw and performance hit while gaming for one game or two.

19. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Even if cherry picked, it still shows the card's abilities when the game is properly coded. This example also explains why they chose to use RT in consoles (they would not have done so if the performance in RT was fundamentally bad on an AMD GPU).

ZXRaziel likes this.
  20. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    Yeah, and all those RTX ON GameWorks games were in no way sponsored by NVidia ;P

carnivore, Dragam1337 and Agonist like this.