Higher refresh rate not always the best..?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sounar, Nov 16, 2020.

1. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    Yes, they are similar in what they try to accomplish. But If you own a nvidia gpu you're limited to G-Sync monitors only.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Thought Nvida allowed it at some point? or was that short lived?

3. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    Oh you are correct! didnt realize it. Good video info about it

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Not true. Almost every free sync monitor works with G-Sync as long as you have a display port cable.

Passus likes this.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I call BS

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You can buy a 48" OLED for slightly over £1000. Top monitors of that size cost the same, if not more.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    As jbscotchman wrote, FreeSync monitors are called "G-Sync compatible" but mostly they support G-Sync only on DisplayPort.
    Here is official page
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Yes. And UltraLowLatency (aka ULL) setting.

8. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080

You can call it whatever you like if that makes you happy

9. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Noticed these on the net and thought they might be helpful to this discussion.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  10. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    OP: Did you try to connect your old 60Hz monitor back? I think you would be surprised how choppy it is now to your eyes. Once you get used to 120+ gameplay (few days or so) or even dragging things on desktop, everything under about 90FPS becomes a slideshow. I went through this myself and I even tested it side by side with my old monitor. High refresh is just superior and easy to get used to it. Problem is to get the horse power to maintain it, but that's another story.
    BTW games that have problems above 60Hz need to die out along with their inept developers.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    cucaulay malkin likes this.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    60Hz is bad for the desktop but in games at 60fps are smooth on 144hz screen

especially with freesync or gsync

12. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Passus: Matter of opinion. I have 144Hz VRR monitor so I can use any refresh rate I want by simply limiting framerate using RTSS. And for me there is no way back to 60Hz, it feels awfull and has nothing to do with the monitor - I just tried to explain why. The smoothness of animations or camera rotation at 120+ Hz is simply not there at 60Hz and it does indeed feel "choppy". One more thing to consider is that 60Hz monitors often have slower response times and that can mask those jerky animations with some motion blur.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  13. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    well it is not smooth or good for fast paced shooters or esports but action games and rpgs ect are fine

Dragam1337 likes this.
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well i have a 144hz screen and i´m very happy with it, but like others said, you need some fire power to push frames above 100fps.

Also, i´ve noticed you have a 165hz screen. From what i´ve read, those refresh rates are achieved using overdrive modes, that sometimes creates ghostings effects among others. So maybe that´s causing some issues with the video quality.

If you want you can read this: https://www.displayninja.com/what-is-overdrive-on-a-monitor/

And i advice this site to anything related to monitors, it´s really good:https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/. Look for the review of your screen to see what i says.

I hope this helps.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    OLEDs are still sample-and-hold displays unless strobing is used. Even with zero response time, you will still have motion blur due to eye tracking as light is still being emitted while your eyes move. CRTs used to have no perceivable motion blur due to very fast phosphor decay, so they effectively functioned as strobing displays. This meant that the display was off most of the time so eye tracking would not cause the smearing that we call motion blur.

HandR likes this.

16. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    this is normal,it's how it's supposed to be percieved.
    when you played at locked 60 it was what you were used to.
    now a game running at 100 fps feels sluggish when it drops to 60.

seems like a normal order of things to me.
    60 is supposed to feel slower than 100.

17. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Original poster , I am not being funny but something doesn’t seem right , I don’t have enough information on your setup but if you have better monitor things should be smoother and faster unless something is not right .
    As for the CRT tech , bring it back Sony ! Or at least give us smaller oled monitors I don’t like sit directly in front of 40 or more inches behemoth of a tv to read my emails haha .

mbk1969 likes this.
  18. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Honestly it's likely the difference going from a 60Hz Vsync to Gsync screen with variable fps.

I much prefer the locked fps of a Vsync display but vsync has a nasty problem if your getting lots of dropped frames you'll get those stutters that can be very pronounced when you miss that refresh interval.

It really depends on the game for me but if a game has very variable FPS a lot of times I'll just cap my FPS to whatever my 1% fps lows value is. That keeps the FPS pretty much locked at that rate and looks extremely smooth. This of course brings the average FPS down but the frame time consistency is a massive improvement as it's pretty much locked into whatever value I specify.

For a lot of single player games where I don't care about the FPS being high I'll just cap it at 60fps and crank the settings as high as I can and still maintain a solid 60fps.

19. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    BS, I cannot tolerate my OLED 1440p@120hz is inferior to my G7 1440p/240hz.

We are talking twice the speed. CRTs are relics of the past, I cannot stand them.

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    With gsync you can just cap your FPS to a value that the game can reach most of the time. Super smooth that way. Always use the highest Hz mode of your monitor when doing this to benefit from the lowest possible latency. (Even if you cap to 90FPS, running at 165Hz will give you a display scanout speed of 165Hz. So you get the smoothness of 90FPS@90Hz but the latency benefits of 165Hz.)

fluidz likes this.