Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LocoDiceGR, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Andy_96

Andy_96 Active Member

GPU:
    Gig-te 4090 Aero OC
    hmmmm

makavelipr likes this.
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    If anyone is interested in trying this driver, but is concerned with it fouling things up, I suggest you create a System Restore point before installing. If things get pooched, you can easily roll back.

OnnA likes this.
  3. Andy_96

Andy_96 Active Member

GPU:
    Gig-te 4090 Aero OC
    whql up

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's hard resetting the USB stack by jamming the filter driver through it no wonder sensitive data devices can have problems it's like yoinking right out without any safety at all plus it goes on,off,on in rapid succession as that USB re-initializes itself it's kinda [beeping] stupid to force that in there and unless you are aware of it it's not even listed in the release notes or anywhere you'd have to check the folders for what's bundled in here.

Yeah it can do terrible things to the device without any precautions but users wouldn't know that so maybe removing the selection of extras/optional actually was a terrible idea from AMD around last year.
    Plus the voltage surging through it too as that happens perhaps more so than enabling and disabling the device or USB hub.

EDIT: Wonder if the GPU has a 3.0 something or the other type C port on it and that's why there's this LED thing now.

"I glow green when you jam a cable in here so you know you jammed a cable in here."
    Probably multi-color 16 million rotating in some fashion because that's a thing that was absolutely vital during production.

Shame about the device old or not it worked until this.

Passus and PrEzi like this.

5. zheega

zheega Active Member

GPU:
    RX6800XT
    Did anyone benchmark Assassin's Creed Valhalla yet? I seem to be getting over ~10% more FPS now with 20.11.2. And around ~5% higher low FPS.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I've only seen a flash stick fail like this once, with an old Kingston stick.

7. Performance Tuning tab works and seemingly keeps settings fine for me with this driver (RX 580), but the first time I went to that tab, the Radeon control panel crashed. Went back to it right after it crashed, and it loaded up fine. Haven't seen a previous driver do this. And this was on a completely clean install (just re-installed Windows some hours ago; installed the latest SSU/CU, then AMD chipset drivers, and then this GPU driver, all while offline).

As for the USB topic; in my case, I think when the display driver package installs the Pci Bus driver, it takes out/reinitialized everything that I assume is on PCI-E (network, USB, display); happened on almost every driver I can think of this year, this driver, and some drivers from back in 2019. I hear several Windows device disconnect sounds, my screen blanks and comes back, and my keyboard and mouse LEDs turn off and back on (indicating a hot-plug).

Also in-case anyone is curious, WDDM is 2.7 and HW-accelerated GPU scheduling is off/unsupported (GPU-Z) with a RX 580 on 20H2.

8. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    better than 20q3 in rocket league main menu. ill stick with it for now

9. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    History sure repeats itself.

10. DigitalZombie

DigitalZombie New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5700XT Pulse
    Fresh install of the drivers with DDU and I have no more flickering while free-sync on! Is this the new best driver???

11. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    For those that are having high CPU (on one thread/core) with RadeonSoftware process, are you using the cncmd.exe restart command, disabling the host service and/or using radon software slimmer? I just ran into it testing some things out and using the restart command.

Hypernaut likes this.
  12. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Yeah like it's so obvious

13. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Another around 100 points loss in time spy for me. Pre-september drivers were giving me above 4900 points and NEVER lower scores, since 20.9.3 i was getting around 4800 points and today i run time spy 3 times and every time score was above 4700 points, not once above 4800. Slight but constant loss in consecutive months is worrisome. I think i will dig it deeper and do some bigger comparison with some games to see if these show similar behavior.

Direfield likes this.
  14. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Okay, I figured out the high CPU usage from RadeonSettings.exe process. It's when RSServCmd.exe or AMDRSServ.exe do not exist (which is what Radeon Software Slimmer does). This happens when you disabling the host services using unofficial and unsupported methods. According to the dump files it's stuck trying to load a windows event. I suck at debugging managed dumbs so I don't know which specifically, but comparing the events of the RadeonSoftware process in the two scenarios, there's some with GUIDs and one called "DVRReadyEvent".

So it seems you can't disable the host processes bloat without the Radeon Software process freaking out. :(
    The only option around this while not having the host services processes running is to not have RadeonSoftware running too. You can kill the processes. Unless you need to make changes or perform the initial setup (such as from a new install), they aren't needed for basic functionality of the GPU. To prevent it from running you need to disable the StartCN and StartDVR scheduled tasks as well as never open up Radeon Settings. Running "C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\cncmd.exe" exit will stop all the processes too if you don't want to force kill them.

Uhg, what a mess. :(

JonasBeckman likes this.
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah I was wondering if it tried to get those to start but it went into a "Nope nope nope." looping into starting up these and failing to do so and that would explain it, I'm not a overlay fan and disabling it only hides the interface it doesn't wholly unload them like the err alternative solution succeeds at doing ha ha.
    Hmm Windows settings permissions, advanced security and denying file traversal could work though it's how I tell the Steam Overlay I don't love it. :p

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020

16. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    IF it was so simple....
    I have high CPU usage and I haven't slimmed down anything.... RSServCmd.exe exists unter programs\AMD\Cnext\CNext..... AMDRSServ.exe too.
    Did several clean installs etc. too incl. resetting user data and/or DDU.

JarasCz and JonasBeckman like this.
  17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Installed fine here, no weird glitch/issues.

Undying, Krteq and HK-1 like this.
  18. Krevar

Krevar Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Strix
    Tried this one but AC Valhalla stutters a bit at launch then crash and sometimes lock the system after 1mn... tried several times and reinstalled it twice with and without DDU, no results.
    Back to 20.11.1 and everything is smooth and stable! (Vega 64 stock with 4770k)
    If someone from AMD Vanguard reads this: VSR not working anymore for me since 20.10...

19. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Installed yesterday and tested few games, no issues so far

VSR is working fine for me

Undying, OnnA and LocoDiceGR like this.
  20. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Since I will be required to install the new driver tomorrow.... is it safe? I saw some feedback here that it breaks the USB Stack etc..... Any tips maybe? I need it for the 6800xt....