UK etailer is listing prices for Asus Radeon RX 6800 (XT) cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Crazy prices. AMD unveiled the 6800XT at $650, which should be about £600, these are AIB models but 200 quid over the ref card? Nuts.

3. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    crazy... I miss my 500$ flagship cards.

HonoredShadow and Undying like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    MSRP in USD is without tax. Always been. With every HW, I take MSRP, convert to our currency, multiply by our lovely tax, and I am at our price +-2%.

jura11 and moo100times like this.

5. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    So no cards priced at MSRP yet. Hopefully we will see some consistency with pre-tax prices at £579 and £649 .

6. bst857

bst857 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    That means the RRP of the standard card should be £585, so the 6800 XT TUF is £225 more, which is too much to justify IMO just for a better cooler and slightly different PCB design (if it even has that, and even if it does, who really cares about the marginal gains). I mean would you spend £225 on a CPU air cooler? Because that's pretty much what they're asking for.

7. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    being priced above reference ? sure ok it's normal and acceptable
    being priced +33% +50% ? like Angry Joe would say "are you out of your mind ?" :mad:

Turanis likes this.
  8. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    I'm sorry, Im not really in the hoop of the new graphic cards.. but can we assume that these prices are just placeholders or are they expected to be this expensive?.. Also arent the RX 6800 suppose to compare to a 3070? The RX 6800 TUF is £705 here. The same store has a 3070 TUF for £565.

So is it me? or...

9. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    500? man i paid 149 or so for a BFG geforce 8800 GTX which was the top card in 2007 ish ..(crap memory)

10. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    You guys are a bit slow at times, Asus are always overpriced. The Asus TUF 3080 in most UK shops is around £750 with the TUF OC being £799 and the strix is just stupid money. There will be models of that card around £700

The same will be the case with the 6000 and 6800xt, the Asus stuff is going to be expensive as it always is so seeing a liquid cooled 6800xt for £900 shouldn't really be a surprise, their TUF model at £800 which will be £50-£100 more expensive than other models, £700-£750 for a 6800xt NON ASUS is a comparable price to Nvidias 3080 which is what it always was going to be, stop being knee jerk city and wait for all stores to list prices which to be fair hasn't even happened yet with most of the 3000 series stock lol

Undying likes this.

11. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    The 6800 non xt is going to be more expensive than the 3070 because of that cache system and the 16GB of memory, totally expected to see a minimum of £50 more expensive

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah asus expects a premium prices it has always been like that. 3080 strix also costs 1000Eur.

jura11 likes this.
  13. SmootyPoody

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    Sure I understand that statement. But it wasnt really what I asked about. Eventhou I am grateful for you taking your time to answer me. I asked if it wasnt suppose to compete head to head against the 3070?.. Also as a consumer I dont care for the underliving technology. I only care for the performance it brings. So if it indeed is suppose to compete against the 3070 it needs to be about the same price. If it 25% more expensive its not competetive. Why would anyone buy it? In my country that price is like a 3080 TUF. Literally a 3080 price. Sure I cannot get the 3080 before januar, but the 6800 isnt out yet. The XT is more expensive than the 3080 TUF.

14. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Doesn't that depend on the performance of the cards custom cards?

If these cards were to OC like champs and give better than 6900XT performance at only 3/4 the price of a 6900XT then they would look like bargains.

15. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Hmm ... 15% max but not 30...

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Asus cards are overpriced but not like this, this is simply a store trying to scalpe early adopters...

Everyone has noticed the money scalpers have been making in the past so now they want to play the game so they are the ones pocketing the (huge) difference instead of the scalpers.

Moral of the story: don´t buy from scalpers, no matter who they are!

17. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    I did answer you though lol, its more expensive first and foremost because of the additional hardware it has, this bumps up the price quite alot which is why Nvidia want to get away with 8GB on their 3070 and 10GB on the 3080, The technology you don't care about because you're a consumer and a bad one at that is designed to make your access to that memory faster and allow communication with the CPU to be faster. If you don't care about technology on a graphics card to make it faster and then can't understand why said technology makes it more expensive all while being on a tech enthusiast site then you're very confused and it won't matter what anyone says.

As I didn't have a crystal ball I couldn't say what performance the 6800 would have until the reviews came out, which they just did. It was believed to be AROUND a 3070 that doesn't mean it competes with the 3070 though, that underlying technology you don't care about has some beneficial use if you have certain AMD CPU's aka the new 5000 series to pair with the new 6000 series graphics cards, these are all things you have to wait for reliable benchmarks like provided by this site.

You can now see that from the review the 6800 is a decent bit faster than the 3070 most of the time, add the performance with the extra cost of the memory capacity and technology and you have the justification for the price increase over the 3070, even without such a performance boost the 6800 would be tempting to someone because of the extra memory which future proofs games at higher resolutions such as 4k, myself wanting a card to play at 4k this is important as the 3070 with only 8GB is not enough

18. SmootyPoody

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    My questions were: ".. can we assume that these prices are just placeholders or are they expected to be this expensive?.. Also arent the RX 6800 suppose to compare to a 3070?" You answered none of that. And yes as a consumer I dont care about that stuff. I only care of the performance. Hence as to why I asked the first question. Its 25% more expensive. But it is around the same performance of a 3070 (as per my second question). It is not 25% faster in any review I have seen. Hence my first question again. ".. are they expected to be this expensive?"

So no. You didnt aswer my question.

And also. As I said. As a consumer I dont care about the underlying tech. But! As a entusiast I know the tech and find the infinity cache an interesting way of solving one of AMDs problem with their current tech. And yes I know it has more vram. But the future is compressed. So maybe we dont need it. I dont want to think to my about the future because we can only guess - not know. As an entusiast I know all of this stuff. But as a CONSUMER (one that consumes) I dont care. When I am sitting gaming I dont care. When I make 3D models I dont care. But when I read about the tech I find it fascinating. So stop talking down to me. Its okay to not have an answer. But then dont answer.

19. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    "The 6800 non xt is going to be more expensive than the 3070 because of that cache system and the 16GB of memory"

Therefore answering why the price was higher, no one can tell you if it's a placeholder because we don't work for that shop as was said and you would know that as an Enthusiast. You seem unable to accept anything and you are completely confused as to what you are saying, it can't be possible to be a graphic card tech enthusiast while simultaneity not caring about the tech in the AMD card that makes it perform better let alone not understanding why it would cost more because of extra memory.

I shall waste no further time

20. SmootyPoody

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    Of cause I can be both. I can see it from different perspectives (unlike you it seems). And again, no you did not answer my question. You just pointed that out yourself. You answered a why question.. I did not ask why. I asked "can we.." Its a yes or no answer. I did not ask why.

Again. If you do not have an answer if it is suppose to cost 25% more or not, dont answer it. It's okay.