Guru3D Content Reviews: AMD Radeon RX 6800 and 6800 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. xynxyn

xynxyn Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Now I'm curious to see if nV pulls out some driver magic and other stuff, like pushing really hard on the DLSS2.0 side. They went all in on AI architecture and the 3080 kinda feels like it has untapped potential. That being said, now I want to see those Radeon drivers holding up.

What I dont get about the VRAM side of things is that no one mentions the memory bandwitdth. So what, was nV stupid to go for new high bandwitdh DDR6X RAM instead of DDR6 but with quantity? Still very early. Time will tell i guess.

2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I purchased 2x AMD 6950 on launch week or the second week or so... I don't remember exactly and was PLAGUED with driver issues for nearly a month from 11.12-12.x. But around ~ 12.4 (4 release drivers), I had really good performance and stability, even better than later drivers surprisingly.

I hope AMD stabilizes drivers first, and then boost performance but reviews goes for performance to sell it unfortunately.

+1 on pure AMD ecosystem to see the Ryzen + SAM effect because Ryzen alone gives incredible performance at 1080p and CPU bound games.

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Embra, XenthorX, jura11 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Very nice performance results. If we take into account that AMD managed to keep up with 3080 even with 256bit GDDR6, I'd say that this is an astonishing result and proof that the infinite cache is great promise for their future GPUs. Would be interesting to see something like "6900XTX" with 384bit memory bus.

Embra, Maddness, jura11 and 1 other person like this.

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Part of me doubts this, I assume at this point we start to get into 1080ti/2080 performance range give or take some which i've started to struggle in more recent games to max 1440p and get a stable 60fps. changes on a game by game basis of course but there is a reason I want to upgrade.

And i doubt those cards would be too much stronger than that as then it would eat into the 3070/6800 area. Those cards 100% would smash 1080p and a lot of 1440p games just with a * on if you will get stable 60fps/high fps at that point. AC:V is a good example 3070 gets 64fps assume 3060ti would dip around 55ish mark

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  6. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
  7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The msrp is expensive for what it is unless you're only into 1080p non RT gaming.
    Either than that, good cards for rasterized games.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´ve just the reviews and i´m pleasantly surprised by the performance of both cards, they perform better than i was expecting. It´s good to see AMD competing with Nvidia in equal footing.

The cards do lose some steam on higher resolutions and their RT performance is considerably weaker than Nvidia, no surprises here, but they seem very good performers and consumer less power than Nvidia. If the 6800XT was around 500€, i would probably get one.

Unfortunately they suffer from the same issues that have plagued the 3000 series, almost no cards to buy and silly prices.

About the pricing issue, i´m very happy that Hilbert is calling out AMD and Nvidia due to the very high prices of the new series of cards, the prices of new GPUs are getting ridiculous!

Great review as always Hilbert!

Also, i wonder if this year santa Hilbert is going to have GPUs to offer to some in the upcoming contest...

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Very close to 48k in Firestrike, bloody hell, just that performance in RT but this is what I have expected as well just due the 1st generation of their RT

5.5GHz on 5950X as well, hmmmm, love it

Thanks, Jura

Embra and chispy like this.
  10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Looks like the performance/power ratio is better than team green.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    But I agree with most of the comments here, 6800XT and 6800 or even 6900XT are literally hampered by memory bandwidth, not sure if they will be better by going with HBM memory and wider bus

RT performance is pretty much same or similar as RTX 2080Ti which is good achievement

Thanks, Jura

12. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    valhalla is a botch job with dx12 transition
    and ac's volumetric cloud perf hit is just unreasonable
    I bet you'll find examples of a 3080 struggling at 1440p.I remember a 1000 dollar titan x struggling to hit 60 in witcher 3 1080p at max settings.

but common sense tells me that a 2070S is gonna do 1440/60 easily thses days (owned one) and will push a high refresh 1440p monitor just fine.anything more you're treating yourself.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Welp either 6800 xt or 6900 xt is the best bet for My G9 Samsung display.

14. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Fair enough; I understand that it's popular enough to be a relevant feature for a lot of users. It's improved from where it started, I can give Nvidia that, but I still find it noticeable. I'm not too bothered by it as long as it doesn't turn into a crutch to continually prop up weak RT or 4K+ performance.

That's interesting, thanks. I think AMD can get away with lagging on RT this generation if they can improve to parity within the next gen. or two. It's too bad they didn't manage with these but it's not a bad showing.

15. xynxyn

xynxyn Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    DLSS is even the superior form of AA+Sharpening compared to the conventional way while giving performance boost. Win win. I for my part dont see a difference between DLSS performance mode and full 4K on a 65"TV on Ghostrunner and Control. Maxing out Control including RT and seeing GPU utilization at 80% on locked 60FPS is pretty bad ass ;)

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    With Ray Tracing and other features being pushed like crazy with the new consoles, i wouldn't risk getting a card that's so weak in that department.

17. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    RT is simply not optimized for AMD hardware in existing games, since such RT-enabled hardware simply DIDN'T EXIST at the time those games were made/launched.

Just give it a few months ...

--
    p.s. Remember how terrible RTX was initially until patched into those 2-3 games that supported it ?
    Was completely unplayable even at 720p

HandR and Undying like this.
  18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If the 6800 drops $50, it will be the best purchase out of all GPUs announced from both manufacturers this year.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Dlss 1.0 also sucked at first then with 2.0 everything changed. I expect to be similar with amd. Takes time everything to get optimized.

cucaulay malkin and Maddness like this.
  20. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Agreed. Unless your GPU literally just caught on fire and you need a new one asap, there's no reason to rush. Especially given (the lack of) availability and price gouging.

Undying likes this.