Loot boxes are classed as gambling in the UK

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ghosty, Jul 3, 2020.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    This isnt the first time theyve asked for evidence yet I saw nothing come of that before.

I don't think big publishers have enough hands in pockets of UK gov (tories) yet to sway policy, but I also think they just do not give enough of a shiit to do anything really to stop lootbox gambling.

XP-200 and Grimbarian like this.
  2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Perhaps. But the Times newspaper has been banging on about loot boxes for years now, so you never know.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  3. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
  4. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I guess that EA now has to pay for the access to that market.

Seriously though, it really needs to be pushed through as gambling in larger countries with big markets. Only then can it really change in some fundamental way.

5. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti

Soooooo...

EA "UT points are nothing like gambling"

also EA "We're adding the same user protection methods that gambling firms added to their customer accounts as a result of the backlash against gambling firms".

AsiJu, DocStr4ngelove and cerebus23 like this.
  6. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    "... b b b b b but... you always get something..."

So all I have to do is make a slot machine give out 1 cent every time you don't hit the jackpot and I can circumvent every gambling law?

:eek::D

AsiJu and Grimbarian like this.
  7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    In principle there is nothing wrong with FIFA (and others) having gambling, it just should be labeled appropriately and be taxed and regulated as any gambling company. That would naturally kill the franchise and the business they have, since kids will not be able to spend their parent's money on it. But I think that is the natural way this will end up, we just need to make more stink about it, since politicians making laws and judges who rule make rulings based on them are slow to adapt and this is still something relatively new for them.

Anyway, if you are a parent with their kid playing something like FIFA, just do the parenting thing and don't rely on someone else to raise your kids for you.

AsiJu likes this.
  8. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    AsiJu, Backstabak and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I wholeheartedly agree loot boxes as gambling is the correct way.
    I also think any in-game purchases and shops that use or have the option to use real currency should be scrutinized in a similar fashion, have them loot boxes or not.

Exactly the kick in the nuts likes of EA and Ubi need.
    (Ubi might not use loot boxes as much but they sure are fond of ingame shops!)

Grimbarian likes this.
  10. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Oh man, I REALLY hate seeing them close down these blackhole currency loops.

There is a horrible downside to economic morality and efficiency guys: A lot of those chaps on the board are going to have to sell their 3rd homes and second boats! Thoughts and prayers!

cerebus23 and AsiJu like this.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

12. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    I did not know it was that bad?.. here's some sad stories

'My son spent £3,160 in one game'

Basketball game cost our family £2,000

Our son spent £700 on Clash of Clans

My daughter installed the same game three times
    My 11-year-old daughter has spent over £100 of my money in a day downloading apps that are the same.

"He was completely inconsolable"
    I installed Mini Golf King on my phone for my son who is five. He knows he's not allowed to spend money in games, yet this game successfully tricked him into spending £300 on in-app purchases.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48925623

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    When are we going to classify Corsair memory products as gambling?

14. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    How is this even legal ?
    Surely tricking under age minors in to spending money without fully understanding what are they doing and without adults consent and supervision is illegal .

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Should be a final confirmation at least and a requirement for the PIN code or something to authorize it since refunding it is apparently a monumental challenge even though it should be a quick support message / phone call to get it cleared.
    Having the entire payment data processable without further confirmation or verification / validation including setting max fees and what else could definitively be improved though but there's zero incentive to do so unless Apple and Google/Android get some legal troubles first which is taking forever despite how many of these cases there are.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I know on Android that you can set up a pin to stop anyone but yourself from spending any real money on the Google Play store. You can also set monthly limits. This should be applied to all platforms like Steam, PSN, MSN store etc.

Airbud and JonasBeckman like this.
  17. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Interesting - the stance on gambling seems far more "strong" across the commonwealth far as my personal experience has been traveling. Also living in Australia. Now the UK makes this move. Personally my views on "gambling" aside I see it as a smart way to classify would-be "predatory" business practices in the video gaming industry as illegal. So - good for them (the government) in this case. Video Game production companies collectively need to invest less in wasteful spending and more in the artists' as a whole... this "stuff" is just demoralizing in my opinion for more developers than not (more than not as some obviously are indifferent or don't mind whereas many would rather have Unions and stipulations enforced)

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Just noticed this. Paid random items notice when booting a game up?

19. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    ^
    That's still just a bandaid, same as set limits on spending or pin number for confirmation. Fundamentally lootboxes are just gambling and should be regulated in the same manner. Meaning minors should not have access to it, at the very least.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    • National Lottery minimum age raised to 18 to protect young people
    • Online stake limits, gambling advertising and age limits to be considered
    • Gambling Commission’s role and powers will also be looked at
    Interestingly that would make all games with loot boxes a 18 age rating in the UK.